stupid question

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
does anyone else's dogs eat grass... mind do seems like often.. they dont throw up afterwards and eating good and drinking... is this a sign of upset stomach?? or do they just like it..

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
seems like they like the grass that grows around our outbuilding so i wont let my husband use any weed killer.. i make him trim if he don't want it there but i told him just give the dogs time they will have it trimmed up soon enough.. lol.. just always thought grass would choke them like kids maybe?? I just have furbabies.. ha..

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Rogan will eat and throw up the grass and Emmitt comes along and eats it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude sees the donkeys everyday. She grazes like them. She eats grass like it's ice cream. Never had a dog that eats so much grass like her.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Bazza quite often eats grass too, and I have often wondered the same thing. I have seen him eat grass and is normal and fine, and then I have seen him eat grass and throw up :unsure:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet has told me it is a myth about the stomach upset, but i am not sure i buy that in all case. [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] can explain with her baby.

My two will eat it just because it is there... no other reason

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
seems like they like the grass that grows around our outbuilding so i wont let my husband use any weed killer.. i make him trim if he don't want it there but i told him just give the dogs time they will have it trimmed up soon enough.. lol.. just always thought grass would choke them like kids maybe?? I just have furbabies.. ha..

Funny I was having this convo yesterday with the Prettyone , with Rosie coming home Saturday and it being Fall fertilizer season here I was concerned about the new pup on the lawns . I did purchase the type that you can put on and then play on the lawn immediately there after by Scotts but not sure I trust all that Marketing . We have app 1 1/2 acres of lawns here that the dogs run , play ect ect on .

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
There are many mixed opinions and suggestions out there with grass. One says upset stomach, others say lack of nutrient, and then other simply say dogs will just eat it for no reason at all. In our own personal experience, Tyson has eaten grass when he's sick. So for us, its a solid sign. Just recently, around the 1st of the month he started eating grass, so we started him on Pepcid. 2 weeks later he vomited up a small piece of foil. He still continued eating the grass, then 2 days after the foil, he pooped out a large piece of something cotton. I have no clue what it was, I washed it, just looking like some sort of stuffing or cotton material. He is still eating grass so we took him into the vet this morning, xrays were clear, and they said he has gastroenteritis, (basically inflamed belly due to those things that were in there) we did get any antibiotic for his allergies/yeast, but he'll be on bland for a few days with pepcid so his belly can calm down.

So my final strongest advice is this. You know your dog. If you dog has always eaten grass for as long as you know - then its probably nothing but just wanting to eat it. If you dog normally does not eat grass at all (like Tyson) but then starts eating the grass, then perhaps they do have a small belly upset.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Dozer doesn't eat grass, but Blossom does, she especially loves the grass pucks left on the grass after it has been mowed.
She is always eating stuff on our walks like grass, flowers, pine cones, sticks, and cigarette butts. I have to constantly watch where we are walking and divert her from stuff. She is fine, and doesn't seem to have an upset tummy, it's quite the opposite, she has a cast iron stomach.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.