Boris is not doing so well :(

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Well the time that I feared since learning that Boris had severe Hip Dysplasia has come... We went to the Vet yesterday morning because he's been limping really bad on his front right leg along with his rear legs. The diagnoses is that His front Joint is nearly gone and completely pops out of place along with his knee with almost every step. The rear hips are still in decent shape, but they are also extremely loose. Unfortunately they have stated that there is not much we can do at this time to resolve the issue and my only real options is managing the pain...

I will be going to get a second opinion at the local orthopedic center, but my hopes are not exactly high since the Vet we saw yesterday also works at the Orthopedic center.

At this moment he can barely walk on carpet and wood floors and you can see and hear the joints popping in and out of place. I've contacted my breeder and she's willing to work with me, but the options are limited... I can surrender him to her or put him to rest and get another pup once their next litter has been born. The catch to this is I only have until February to make my decision as that's when my 18 month health contract expires:gloom:

Thanks,

Matt and Boris

Q9VWrRl.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this. I don't even know what to say to help with this kind of decision.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
This is so sad! I'm so, so sorry. (((Sweet Boris)))

Will the breeder take care of Boris or will she put him down? What a tragic situation.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
oh wow..

to be honest, if you can't take care of him, I would contact a bulldog rescue and have them take him. tell your breeder that's what you'd like to do instead of them or you having to put him down. she may give you
another puppy anyway.

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
This is so sad! I'm so, so sorry. (((Sweet Boris)))

Will the breeder take care of Boris or will she put him down? What a tragic situation.

Back when he was 6 months old she stated that she would adopt him from me and take care of him as her own, but now that he's having such severe issues with his joints I'm not sure what she would do. I don't think she could carry him up and down the stairs when he has to go outside (every 4-6 hours). We trained him to use pee pads since we knew he had joint issues, but he's recently started to miss the pads or be half on half off so I carry him outside a lot :D

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Awe this is so sad. I am really sorry that you and Boris are going through this. I pray that the second vet can provide a better option. If the results are the same I agree with giving Boris to a rescue if you cannot give him the care he will need instead of giving him back to the breeder. Please keep us all updated and prayers will continue to be sent for the both of you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry about all this... Have you talked to the vet about laser or water therapy-- can that be an option?

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
oh wow..

to be honest, if you can't take care of him, I would contact a bulldog rescue and have them take him. tell your breeder that's what you'd like to do instead of them or you having to put him down. she may give you
another puppy anyway.

I asked her exactly that and she seemed really unsure about it, but said she'd get back to me. We're going to the Ortho on Monday and will find out more on what we can do.

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
So very sorry about all this... Have you talked to the vet about laser or water therapy-- can that be an option?

Yeah we've actually done a bit of water therapy, but we haven't seen any good results due to Boris not cooperating. We've talked about doing laser therapy as well, but the real issue is how often his joints give and he loses control and the injuries that will come with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of prayers to you all.... Please keep us posted

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Boris. I have no advice but I'm sure you will do what's best for you and Boris!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry to hear about this. I know it is a very difficult situation for you. I know you will do whatever you decide is best for Boris.Wishing you the strength to make a very difficult decision for both of you.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Sending Prayers and Positive Thoughts to this Sweetie, Love To You Boris.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.