Water Intake ?

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
OK so Abbott has developed this behavior of not drinking water while we are away from home.We will leave for a few hours and come home and he waits for us and then goes straight to his water and drink like a camel sometimes til he pukes.I know in his mind he's probably like well since we are home alone I better wait because no ones home to let us out to pee.Has anyone ever experienced this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Foes he vomit every time he drinks? How long has he been doing this?

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
I can't speak to the puking part but I can share that Charlotte does not have water access while we are away from home- as soon as we arrive she gets let out of her area... Sometimes she goes directly to water but not always. It's just what she's used to. Maybe Abbott is similar. (Minus the puking part)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with this, we have a doggie cooler with a filter and they have access to water whenever they want it. When we aren't home, they mostly sleep, and my guys have never been big water drinkers, which is why I add water to their kibble to make sure they are getting extra water twice a day with their meals. He's probably puking, because he's drinking the water too fast.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank always has access to his water but for some reason he does the same thing. He won't drink water while he is home alone. Once we come home, he will guzzle down water. It used to be the same thing as Abbott where he would gag and puke. We have now learned to let him drink a little water, then we will put it up and wait a bit, then give him more. That seems to work and it keeps Frank from drinking so much he throws up.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Foes he vomit every time he drinks? How long has he been doing this?
He doesn't vomit every time, I'm thinking its the amount he's drinking at a time.He has access to water 24/7 so its there for him.I will have to try the alittle at a time and see if this helps some.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
This might be the wrong way to go but here it is .
When I used to work ( retired now ) and would come home Tilly would get pumped and I mean pumped as I came in the door she would run to the nearest whatever pick it up and run around like a mad hatter = just really over excited to see Me home , Maybe in your case it is similar but Water is the Whatever part . Does Abbott after a bit go and drink like normal and not bring it back up , does it only happen when you come in after Abbott not seeing you for a while ?
Hope this helps was just a thought after seeing Tilly do similar is all

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He doesn't vomit every time, I'm thinking its the amount he's drinking at a time.He has access to water 24/7 so its there for him.I will have to try the alittle at a time and see if this helps some.

Ok.. Wanted to make sure he was not doing it all the time. He could have himself worked up to a upset belly- when dogs do not feel well they will excessively drink water to induce vomiting.... Is that possible?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't think my dogs will drink much, if at all when I am not home. When I come home they greet me(like wild indians) and then go drink water! They act like they didn't drink for a month! Perhaps it is a drink to celebrate?!!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry does this sometimes. It's like he gets in a trance and forgets he's drinking. If he guzzles too much he'll throw up a little water, or gag like he's going to. We've gotten in the habit of saying "Henry, that's enough take a break" and he looks up and gives it a min and either walks away or has another drink. If we don't get his attention he would do it often.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my Malanois would drink occasionally-and then she would be like a camel. If I didn't tell her "that's enough", when she was finished, she would walk away and burp up
a great big puddle! Just too much water for her stomach to hold!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.