Increasing water intake? Have you tried a water fountain with your bully?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I need Penny to drink more water. She has another UTI & she doesn't drink much at all unless we are playing outside and she has a water bowl out there. We give her ice cubes. She's also on dehydrated food, so I am adding extra water to that to try to increase her water intake.

When she was a puppy the pet store we did obedience classes at had a fountain that she LOVED. Has anyone tried this? Does it turn into a slobber mess? Also, I'm wondering if the novelty wears off quickly.

Any other tricks to up their water intake?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We just use ice cubes as treats to make sure ours gets enough water. We used to have the 360 waterfall water bowl but cleaning it daily became a pain in the arse.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We add a little coconut water sometimes. Tyson loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a water fountain for my dogs, and they actually seemed to really like it. I would try the idea about the ice cubes too… that would help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never did the fountain, but we do ice cubes and let them play with the hose or in a baby pool

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Our guys love the ice cubes more in summer then all year round , never tried the fountain. In winter here as cold as -20 too -30 c below we use a heated water bowl outside for them all works great and they drink out of it constantly with the exception of Willow she eats the snow .
We have 3 indoor water bowls here there the big 5 gallon ones that auto gravity feed the water too the bowl, they also come with filters that are replaceable once a month and do work well keeping the water cleaner longer for the outside water.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could try some broth,if she is not allergic, and add some to her water-in a smaller bowl to see if she would drink more. Check the cans of broth to make sure they do not have too much salt(sodium) even though that would help her thirst... or make some ice cubes with a little broth mixed with water.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.