Thread: Adding new puppy !

Bulldog(s) Names
    MooShi and Owen
    Likes (Received)

Default Adding new puppy !

Hi everyone, haven't been on in awhile , but always seem to come back for some real advice. So sorry if this is long. We are getting a new bulldog puppy the beginning of Oct. I have a 6 yr old female , who has not been around dogs much. She likes to sniff up my brothers dogs at fence(he is my neighbor)she is not aggressive with them but has never actually be in contact except through fence. She does get jealous if I show them attention , but not crazy . A couple of weeks ago e friend brought over her litter of yorkie mix pups and she was actually very gentle w them . My question is do you think she will be ok w a new puppy in the house and does anyone have any tips to get them to get along ?Any advice would be appreciated ! Oh puppy is a male we named him Owen her name is MooShi .

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adding new puppy !

When ever I have brought a new pup into the house, I tell my dogs "be nice,take it easy, it's a baby dog". All my married life I've always had four or five dogs,and the resident dogs have always accepted a puppy. I have also rescued two grown Malanois,and they did fine. I tried a 4 year old Frenchie rehome, but she had been an only dog-and SHE attacked my dogs, and I had to give her back. When I've brought pups home, I just always acted kind of matter of fact, and didn't make a big deal out of it,except if they got
    too rough while playing with her. My dogs are all jealous of each other,as far as getting brushed or petted, but not mean jealous-I don't allow it. Sometimes they will fight over a toy-then I take the toy. You have got to keep a good eye on things, but don't act nervous, or make your dog feel left out. Best of Luck with your new baby! I would also have a "playpen" or crate for the baby, so that you have a time out area. Sometimes puppies are hard on the resident dog!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes harveyspecter, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    MooShi and Owen
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lynn, I do have a playpen for him and crate. Just want it to go well , I have been waiting for another puppy for so long !

5. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and make your dog think the pup is for her!!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    MooShi and Owen
    Likes (Received)

Whatever works lol

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Mooshi should do fine..... puppies are more accepted than an adult would be. Lynn gave you great advice.

Best of luck.... and be sure to share pictures
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

I agree that older dogs accept puppies better than other adults. When I brought home my new puppy I had her meet my older dog outside and let them play. Inside the house I have the older dog lots of treats and praise when he say nicely with the puppy. I think we had one small bout of jealousy that lasted a day, but now they're best friends and inseparable.

Bulldog(s) Names
    MooShi and Owen
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for advise, will post pics when I get him!

Remove Ads