Adding new puppy !

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Hi everyone, haven't been on in awhile , but always seem to come back for some real advice:D. So sorry if this is long. We are getting a new bulldog puppy the beginning of Oct. I have a 6 yr old female , who has not been around dogs much. She likes to sniff up my brothers dogs at fence(he is my neighbor)she is not aggressive with them but has never actually be in contact except through fence. She does get jealous if I show them attention , but not crazy . A couple of weeks ago e friend brought over her litter of yorkie mix pups and she was actually very gentle w them . My question is do you think she will be ok w a new puppy in the house and does anyone have any tips to get them to get along ?Any advice would be appreciated ! Oh puppy is a male we named him Owen her name is MooShi .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever I have brought a new pup into the house, I tell my dogs "be nice,take it easy, it's a baby dog". All my married life I've always had four or five dogs,and the resident dogs have always accepted a puppy. I have also rescued two grown Malanois,and they did fine. I tried a 4 year old Frenchie rehome, but she had been an only dog-and SHE attacked my dogs, and I had to give her back. When I've brought pups home, I just always acted kind of matter of fact, and didn't make a big deal out of it,except if they got
too rough while playing with her. My dogs are all jealous of each other,as far as getting brushed or petted, but not mean jealous-I don't allow it. Sometimes they will fight over a toy-then I take the toy. You have got to keep a good eye on things, but don't act nervous, or make your dog feel left out. Best of Luck with your new baby! I would also have a "playpen" or crate for the baby, so that you have a time out area. Sometimes puppies are hard on the resident dog!!

OP
Tracey

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Thanks Lynn, I do have a playpen for him and crate. Just want it to go well , I have been waiting for another puppy for so long !

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh, and make your dog think the pup is for her!!!:whistle::yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mooshi should do fine..... puppies are more accepted than an adult would be. Lynn gave you great advice.

Best of luck.... and be sure to share pictures

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree that older dogs accept puppies better than other adults. When I brought home my new puppy I had her meet my older dog outside and let them play. Inside the house I have the older dog lots of treats and praise when he say nicely with the puppy. I think we had one small bout of jealousy that lasted a day, but now they're best friends and inseparable.

OP
Tracey

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
Thanks for advise, will post pics when I get him!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.