Thread: What do you give your dog for dry eye?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Default What do you give your dog for dry eye?

I adopted a bully a couple weeks ago who has dry eye. I realize I will need to give her daily drops but the Tacrolite the vet prescribed is $60 for a tiny tiny amount.

What at other drops are available at a more reasonable price?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What do you give your dog for dry eye?

I really don't have an answer for you, but many times,if I don't have an emergency problem, I will ask the pharmacist-telling him it is for my dog,Also did the same when my children were young---
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I don't have any experience with dry eye either, but I agree with the advice from Manydogs above, the Pharmacist is always a good source to ask. You can also ask your Vet to write you a prescription for the drug and fill it out at the Pharmacy. It is often much cheaper at the drugstore than at the vets office. Many drugs, supplements, and over the counter products that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs and can be found at the pharmacy cheaper. My female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and we opted to wait until she was 7 months old to have her spay and cherry eye surgeries done together. I used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore until she had her eyes repaired, so she wouldn't have dry eye or irritation. Even a simple saline solution eye drop would work as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

6. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I did not have any success using prescription medications for Molly's dry eye, as they did not help bring back the tears and she continuously got ulcers due to no lubrication, so instead we have been using sustaine eye drops (from walgreens) for a few years now in the morning and at night. No more ulcers now, but too late now, she already lost her vision in one eye mostly. I wish I was using the sustaine from the beginning. I still have to clean her eye goo out of her eyes each day and that I use bausch and lomb eye wash. She also still gets boogers, some days are worse than others but it is part of our daily routine.

The sustaine eye drops are a drop but more gelly like than a regular drop. They are about $20 for a two pack.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    I did not have any success using prescription medications for Molly's dry eye, as they did not help bring back the tears and she continuously got ulcers due to no lubrication, so instead we have been using sustaine eye drops (from walgreens) for a few years now in the morning and at night. No more ulcers now, but too late now, she already lost her vision in one eye mostly. I wish I was using the sustaine from the beginning. I still have to clean her eye goo out of her eyes each day and that I use bausch and lomb eye wash. She also still gets boogers, some days are worse than others but it is part of our daily routine.

The sustaine eye drops are a drop but more gelly like than a regular drop. They are about $20 for a two pack.

Thank you you for this info!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure what exactly the drops are for for Macon. I believe dry eye but I just got her a month ago and were still trying to figure it all out. What I have for her is Bausch & Lomb neomycin and ploymyxin B sulfates and dexamethesone ophthalmic suspension. That's what the bottle says. I give her 3-4 drops a day. When she came she had thick green stuff in her eyes that I was having to pull from her eyes. Literally. The "foster" was doing the drops once a day. With 4 a day she has almost no discharge. I don't want to say no discharge but honestly there is almost none. My other guys with no problems have more than her. We're doing entropian surgery in 2 weeks so I don't know what my vet will give me for after care.

Remove Ads