What do you give your dog for dry eye?

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I adopted a bully a couple weeks ago who has dry eye. I realize I will need to give her daily drops but the Tacrolite the vet prescribed is $60 for a tiny tiny amount. :w00t:

What at other drops are available at a more reasonable price?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I really don't have an answer for you, but many times,if I don't have an emergency problem, I will ask the pharmacist-telling him it is for my dog,Also did the same when my children were young---

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with dry eye either, but I agree with the advice from Manydogs above, the Pharmacist is always a good source to ask. You can also ask your Vet to write you a prescription for the drug and fill it out at the Pharmacy. It is often much cheaper at the drugstore than at the vets office. Many drugs, supplements, and over the counter products that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs and can be found at the pharmacy cheaper. My female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and we opted to wait until she was 7 months old to have her spay and cherry eye surgeries done together. I used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore until she had her eyes repaired, so she wouldn't have dry eye or irritation. Even a simple saline solution eye drop would work as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I did not have any success using prescription medications for Molly's dry eye, as they did not help bring back the tears and she continuously got ulcers due to no lubrication, so instead we have been using sustaine eye drops (from walgreens) for a few years now in the morning and at night. No more ulcers now, but too late now, she already lost her vision in one eye mostly. I wish I was using the sustaine from the beginning. I still have to clean her eye goo out of her eyes each day and that I use bausch and lomb eye wash. She also still gets boogers, some days are worse than others but it is part of our daily routine.

The sustaine eye drops are a drop but more gelly like than a regular drop. They are about $20 for a two pack.

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I did not have any success using prescription medications for Molly's dry eye, as they did not help bring back the tears and she continuously got ulcers due to no lubrication, so instead we have been using sustaine eye drops (from walgreens) for a few years now in the morning and at night. No more ulcers now, but too late now, she already lost her vision in one eye mostly. I wish I was using the sustaine from the beginning. I still have to clean her eye goo out of her eyes each day and that I use bausch and lomb eye wash. She also still gets boogers, some days are worse than others but it is part of our daily routine.

The sustaine eye drops are a drop but more gelly like than a regular drop. They are about $20 for a two pack.

Thank you you for this info!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I'm not sure what exactly the drops are for for Macon. I believe dry eye but I just got her a month ago and were still trying to figure it all out. What I have for her is Bausch & Lomb neomycin and ploymyxin B sulfates and dexamethesone ophthalmic suspension. That's what the bottle says. I give her 3-4 drops a day. When she came she had thick green stuff in her eyes that I was having to pull from her eyes. Literally. The "foster" was doing the drops once a day. With 4 a day she has almost no discharge. I don't want to say no discharge but honestly there is almost none. My other guys with no problems have more than her. We're doing entropian surgery in 2 weeks so I don't know what my vet will give me for after care.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.