izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi Everyone,

I know we've discussed this previously, but I found this list today and thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Foods Dogs and Cats should NOT EAT

By Dr Andrew | February 16, 2011

There are a number of common ā€˜humanā€™ foods that your dogs and cat should NOT EATā€¦ The important thing is to know exactly what to avoid. There are some very commonly known ones, such as Chocolate, Alcohol, and Coffee, but some lesser known ones such as Grapes, Nutmeg, Onion and the artificial sweetener in gum, Xyitol.

In this article I give you an overview of the toxins, PLUS what to do if your dog or cat ingests any of these poisons.

Alcoholic beverages
It is often sweet ā€“ attracting dogs and cats, but can cause serious and fatal intoxication. Donā€™t ever offer this to your pets.
Here are some of the signs and side effects:
ā€¢ Incoordination/ataxia
ā€¢ Excitement
ā€¢ Depression
ā€¢ Excessive urination
ā€¢ Breathing rate is slowed
ā€¢ Cardiac arrest and death

Avocado
Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety is most toxic ā€“ but all have toxic potential. They cause vomiting/diarrhea ā€“ primarily gastrointestinal distress.

Chocolate (all forms)
Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

Signs:
Initial excitation.
Increased drinking and urinating.
Vomiting and Diarrhea.
Theobromine causes an increased heart rate and arrhythmia ā€“.
Seizures can then be seen.
Death is then possible.

ACTION PLAN: Induce vomiting, give activated charcoal, and go to the Vet if depression and seizures begin. Bakerā€™s chocolate and high cocoa content chocolate is the most toxic; the toxic dose is 2 baking squares for a 10lb dog. Regular chocolate bars have little real chocolate and are seldom toxic.

Coffee (all forms)
Coffee contains dangerous components called xanthines, which cause nervous system or urinary system damage and heart muscle stimulation

Fatty foods
The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- and in some cases Pancreatitis.

This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggered by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon.

Macadamia nuts
Macadamia nuts contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscles of dogs. This has lead to paralysis. A small number of nuts and even the butter can cause this.

Moldy or spoiled foods
Many molds contain a type of toxin called an Aflatoxin. This is thought to be a common cause of ā€œcompost toxicityā€. Signs include GI (Vomiting/Diarrhea), muscle tremors, in-coordination, elevated temperature, excessive salivation, and liver damage. Avoid feeding ANYTHING moldy to your dog or cat.

Onions, onion powder
Onions contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop anemia. 1 Onion can cause this. Fortunately ALL dogs recover once they are stopped from ingesting onions.

Raisins and grapes
As few as 6 grapes and raisins have caused acute kidney failure in some dogs.

The toxic ingredient is not yet known.
There is no treatment.
AVOID feeding ANY grapes or raisins to your dogs.

Yeast dough
The yeast dough/uncooked bread dough will rise in your petā€™s stomach causing severe gastrointestinal distress (vomiting/diarrhea), bloating, and signs of alcohol toxicity.

Xylitol
Xylitol is a artificial sweeter found in ā€œSUGAR FREEā€ Products, such as gum, candy etc.

Signs relate to a sudden drop in glucose (blood sugar), in-coordination, collapse and seizures.

Avoid feeding any gum/candy to your pets.

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums.
Ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic.

They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity include apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation and shock.

Note ā€“ itā€™s the seeds and stems that contain the toxic component, not the fruit itself.

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
Potatoes and other Solanum species, including the tomato, are members of the nightshade family of plants.

These plants contain solanine and other toxic alkaloids which, if eaten in large enough amounts, can produce drooling, severe gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, drowsiness, central nervous system depression, confusion, behavioral changes, weakness, dilated pupils and slowed heart rate.

Nutmeg
High levels of nutmeg can be toxic, even fatal.

The toxic component is unknown.

Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or death.

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects.

WHAT to do IF your pet has eaten any of these toxic foods:
http://www.theinternetpetvet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Vet-Pics-075.jpg

TO YOUR VETERINARIAN. If your pet is showing signs of ingesting a poison, it is important that your veterinarian examines her and treated appropriately. Some toxins can progress and lead to severe seizures. If you suspect antifreeze poisoning, it must be treated within 4-6 hours, before irreversible kidney damage occurs.

PURGE THE POISON. In most cases of poisoning, getting your pet to vomit is the most important thing that you can do. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING if something caustic has been consumed (such as drain cleaner or bleach). To induce vomiting, give hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. If your pet doesnā€™t vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again. NEVER do more than 2 treatments of peroxide. You can also try salt: dilute 1 teaspoon of salt in a tablespoon of water per every 10lbs of body weight.

DELAY ABSORPTION. Activated charcoal is readily available at most pharmacies. It delays absorption of any toxin by binding to the toxic compound in the stomach. The easiest way is to give the capsule form. For those garbage-eating dogs (such as my own dog) it is a good idea to have hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal always on hand.

PREVENTION. Ensure medications are always out of mouthā€™s reach. Become familiar with toxic plants (visit ASPCA | Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants for a complete list) and remove those from your house, if your pet is a plant-eater. Keep your compost covered.

Dr Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Interesting!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would NEVER give Vegas Alcohol!!!!.......I NEED it for myself to deal with him!!! :lol: .....other than that he gets none of the above. He has the same issues and diet as Stig.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Thank you FINALLY some one (the Vet) didnt say Garlic!!! lol.. I feed the dogs garlic in the summer time...It has never had any bad effects on any of my dogs.. Also its just baking chocolate that is toxic. BUT I still dont give my dogs chocolate...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info on what to do if they do ingest something!!! Thank you!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I will add a tidbit about how to get the peroxide down the gullett......Use a turkey baster. It worked when Sophie ate a 2lb box of chocolate truffles wrapped up under the tree as a Christmas gift.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
thanks for sharing this! i freaked when i seen the one about grapes. :eek: Bullet has ate a couple here about 2 weeks ago. my son actually dropped his bowl of grapes and Bullet (like usual) went after them like he does all food on the floor. i actually stopped him because i thought they would give him diarrhea...not realizing it could cause serious health problems. :( i am going to print this and share it with my family so we all know. :whew:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Weeeeeeeeeell.......... how about cats? Just in case Duke actually catches one........are they toxic?

LMAO .... :LMAO: Luckily, for the cat, all the dogs know that Angel (cat) is the boss of the household and so no chance of even attempting to catch the cat!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.