Biting and Licking Paw

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
We took the dogs to the park for a walk and did not get very far when Utley sat down and did not want to move. He kept messing with his one paw. After a little while we could tell something was wrong. Thought maybe he got bit or stung by something. Checked his paw and could not find anything. Hubby had to go get the car and bring it to where we were since Utley was not budging. I checked him over in the car and when we got home. Just fed him dinner and gave him some Benadryl. Still do not see any hives but his foot is sensitive if touched between the two toes on the inside. Right now he is having an OCD moment licking me and seems to be acting normal[emoji39]. Could he have hurt himself and not gotten stung or could the hives take a bit to show? The good thing is he ate. Now that would have been a real cause for concern if he did not want to eat[emoji39].

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, usually licking of the paws is either a sign of itching, or pain. He may have gotten stung, but if he's not allergic to bees or wasps, he may not show any signs of allergy symptoms like swelling or hives, but it may still have hurt him, so he's licking it. He may have stepped on something sharp like a rock, or pine cone that may have hurt him. You did the right thing by giving him a Benedryl, just in case he was stung or bitten by something. You've checked his paws for any signs of a sting or cut. I would just keep an eye on him, and watch for signs, and if he continues to lick, watch which paw it is and recheck it carefully for anything like a cut, or something stuck in his paw like glass or a stone. He may have just stepped on something and bruised his paw pad. Watch to see how he walks on his paws, look for signs of limping, or favouring when he walks. I hope he's okay. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monica has given great advice

How is he doing this morning?

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
He is doing good. Does not seem to be bothered any more. Last night though shortly after I write the initial post Bella was biting and itching. She had hives all over other front paws and legs. Thinking maybe there was something in the grass at the park.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Benedryl to the rescue

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.