Training a dog to be polite around visitors?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Which is the better way to train a dog to not go crazy (jumping on, etc) visitors to the house?

1) Crate them before letting the visitor in, trying to let the pup calm down. Once the pup is seemingly calm, let pup out of the crate to approach visitor. Once bad behavior starts, correct pup.

2) Let the pup stay out when visitor comes in, giving a calming command to the pup. When bad behavior starts, correct them.

I look at #2 as trusting and hoping for the best, and #1 as anticipating and planning for the worst. :D

I've been using method 2 with Bella, but I'm wondering if I should use method 1. She's 11.5 months old and still embarrassingly bad when we get visitors. I don't let visitors give her attention when she's bad, but she's still just as obnoxious around them--every single time. It's like she's a bulldog or something!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This is what I would do:
Leash Bella when you know someone is coming over. Have the company come in and completely ignore her until they are in and settled. Allow Bella to go over and sniff/say hello. If she tries to jump tell her no and put her in a sit/stay and when she does, give her a treat. Repeat as many times as necessary and it will work. The most important thing though is to make sure everybody ignores her until she displays the behavior you want ie: sitting calmly and waiting for you command that she can say hello.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
If we have a lot of people over we will had Harlea on a leash. When she gets jumpy with new people we have then ignore her and tell her feet on the ground and she usually stops. once she settles then she can get lovin.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I wish I asked this earlier. I'm having like 10 people over tomorrow. :w00t::w00t:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... Leash all the way

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I had two people over last night. I had Bella on leash when they came in.

Bella pulled toward them, forcefully jumped up on them over and over. She was in the zone. She acts the same way around other dogs--uncontrollable. She gave zero f***s about commands. :(

I had had to put the ecollar on her (and use it) before she calmed down. After that, she was an angel. She sat for pets, rolled over for belly rubs. She calmly followed my guests to the bathroom. It was so wonderful.

Today there will be more people...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks' would be so proud :p. Good memories of our struggles with our girl -- the collar was our savior with her

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Aside from a small running out the door incident, she did very well at the party. :)

She was a hit! Everyone loved on her and she was very well-behaved. I'm very proud of her!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.