Heat and no AC

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So my parents place has no AC and I have zero idea on how to keep Curly cool. I have one of those huge industrial fans blowing over a bucket of ice water, ceiling fan on, soak him down so he is wet, gave him ice cubes (which he doesn't want), window open with fan blowing in front of it (it's the evening now so it's a bit cooler) but he is still panting insanely. It's really humid and hot in the NE...not sure what else I can do...maybe I'm just over doing it and he will be fine??

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi nu. [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] had the same problem last year and there were some good diy's. [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] has a few. Say hello to Curly for me.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'd be terrified of overheating since it happened to Lola once. Take him to an airconditioned store for an hour at least, like home depot (if they allow dogs in your area) or petsmart. It's not worth the chance. Keep cool towels (not freezing cold) on his abdomen and his head and his tail pocket, foot pads, and change them frequently as they warm up against the body. Feed ice chips and try to have him drink lots of water. Give him a cool (not cold) bath.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We also went thru this till the AC was fixed , we went to the Basement ( hope you have one ) the dogs took it as a adventure and was cool for all involved , lottsa cold water also

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
We just went through this last weekend. We went up north but could not run the A/C in our camper and it was 90 degrees!! I had fans blowing constantly, filled their water bowls with ice and also had the pool filled for them. Dually handles the heat quite well but I felt bad since it was so hot. He liked to lay under the camper in the shade or if he was in the camper he laid directly in front of the fan. Thank God it cooled off at night.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So my parents place has no AC and I have zero idea on how to keep Curly cool. I have one of those huge industrial fans blowing over a bucket of ice water, ceiling fan on, soak him down so he is wet, gave him ice cubes (which he doesn't want), window open with fan blowing in front of it (it's the evening now so it's a bit cooler) but he is still panting insanely. It's really humid and hot in the NE...not sure what else I can do...maybe I'm just over doing it and he will be fine??

Any suggestions?

If he's panting insanely that is a sure sign he needs AC quick. I would get him somewhere that has it if possible to cool down. Or put him into a "cool" bath. Not cold, just cool.... to bring his body temp down. But again, not cold as you can't bring their temp down fast either.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the advice all! I should have added that it was around 12am/1am eastern time when I posted this so there was no open stores around. We do have a basement here but I swear it's haunted because not a single animal we have ever had has wanted to go down there lol. So that wasn't an option.

I ended up sleeping on the living room floor with him so I could basically monitor him. He went to sleep soaking wet.

It's raining today and the rest of the weekend is suppose to be cool. :)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I was chatting with our local animal control officer a few weeks ago. We were talking about what i can legally do if i see a dog in a hot car. she was telling me some stories and she said when trying to get a dog to cool down, use rubbing alcohol on their foot pads and just keep wiping them until they are cooled down. This is in addition to water, cool towels, keeping them wet.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for the advice all! I should have added that it was around 12am/1am eastern time when I posted this so there was no open stores around. We do have a basement here but I swear it's haunted because not a single animal we have ever had has wanted to go down there lol. So that wasn't an option.

I ended up sleeping on the living room floor with him so I could basically monitor him. He went to sleep soaking wet.

Glad that baby is doing better today. Forget to add, we do the all natural frozen fruit bars too for Ty as a treat. That cools them off, and it has flavor vs the ice :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Are you in Elkins Park? That is parents home right..... It was brutal here the last two days but next few will be nice.

How is Curley this morning

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Are you in Elkins Park? That is parents home right..... It was brutal here the last two days but next few will be nice.

How is Curley this morning

Yes! We are in town just for a few days for a birthday party :)

Curls was fine this morning - all he wants to do ever is play ball so first thing this AM he was playing ball

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It hardly ever gets that hot here, but we have cooling mattresses for both of my boys. They have dome sort of gell in them and they activate from pressure so they don't need to be vet. Glad it's getting cooler for you there.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just in case no A/C----- [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION]
btn-video.jpg
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif

Swamp Cooler™
Cooling Vest
star_5.gif
5 (based on 129 reviews) | Write a Review

The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler uses natural evaporative cooling to keep your dog cool. Soak it in cold water, wring it out, and fasten around your dog. Evaporative cooling exchanges the dog's heat as water evaporates from the coat's reservoir. The Swamp Cooler's light color is designed to reflect heat from the sun. Combined with the evaporative cooling effect, the Swamp Cooler keeps dogs comfortable when temperatures rise. Auto-lock buckles on each side of the jacket provide easy on/off.

Check out our Ruffwear Fit Guide to help find the proper fit for your dog.

Choose a Color:
Choose a Size: XXS
XS
S
M
L
XL
Quantity:Price: $59.95
The Ruffwear Guarantee

divider-fullwidth.gif

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I felt so bad for Ruckus when our AC went out last year. The fan is a must, which you're already doing. A big part of keeping them cool is keeping their bellies cool, but stubborn little things like to sprawl out froggy style when they're not so the panting just continues. I have a cooling may that you can find at pet stores, but I found a few cheap at TJ Maxx. It's one that you fill with cold water and the mat stays icy on their bellies and they can lay there to cool off. Ruckus spent a lot of time on the tile in the bathroom, it was cooler than the the regular floor. I hope the weather stays a little cooler for Chubby!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I really did not come prepared when I drove up last night - the humidity in VA wasn't as bad as Philly so totally bad planning on my part. Fortunately it's cooled down significantly today :)

My parents are building a sunroom that is going to be climate controlled so as soon as that's done it will be the pups room when we come to visit

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.