Which do you find easier to House train a Male or Female Bulldog ?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am about to ( Sept 19th ) pick up my Rosie from the breeder and of course now relearning puppy stuff , I have the puppy pads at the ready , play pen ect ect
I am wondering from the EB crew if you find a female or male easier to train in our beloved breed or does it truly depend on the dog itself ?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It might depend on the dog. Bella was a genius regarding house training. She was trained around 12-13 weeks. It's unbelievable, really.

I've heard that other members had trouble with both girls and boys.

I had to house train a male Lhasa Apso once and it took 2 years. Painful!

Congrats on the baby girl! May I ask why you're planning to use puppy pads? It's just my opinion, but I think a 100% no potty in the house approach is best. I would walk Bella to the door and say, "Wanna go potty?" Eventually, she started walking to the door on her own.

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
It might depend on the dog. Bella was a genius regarding house training. She was trained around 12-13 weeks. It's unbelievable, really.

I've heard that other members had trouble with both girls and boys.

I had to house train a male Lhasa Apso once and it took 2 years. Painful!

Congrats on the baby girl! May I ask why you're planning to use puppy pads? It's just my opinion, but I think a 100% no potty in the house approach is best. I would walk Bella to the door and say, "Wanna go potty?" Eventually, she started walking to the door on her own.

Well this house is filled with carpets ( sorta new owners ) and we are removing them as we can afford , as a matter of fact we just bought the flooring for the Dining room yesterday.
( never seen carpet in a dinning room before we bought this house )
We also have 4 other dogs yet they are house trained, Diva ( OEB) at 10 still has mistakes but at least goes on pads in the tiled bathroom in the middle of the night most times a pain in the butt but so far i have not been able to cure her of this so pads it is .
I have always started pups with 4 pads down away from there crate on a non-carpet floor and as they use them I take them immediately outside, Tilly like your Bella learned very quick that way . After eating, playing, pad use or wake from a snooze they go outside right away so they hopefully know that it is P or business time now . i agree with zero potty in the house the problem I have is a very old dog that bends those rules in the middle of the night when i am asleep .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree it depends on the dog and your ability to get them on a schedule. Nitschke and Banks were a breeze! Cheli our Frenchie-- it took two full years and he still does not indicate, unless you call running up and standing on you and staring you in the eye an indication that ' hey!! Yo, i gotta take a piss!!' :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Agree it depends on the dog and your ability to get them on a schedule. Nitschke and Banks were a breeze! Cheli our Frenchie-- it took two full years and he still does not indicate, unless you call running up and standing on you and staring you in the eye an indication that ' hey!! Yo, i gotta take a piss!!' :)

:ROFL::ROFL:Just how I would imagine Cheli would speak!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As far as house training, I have found that each one is different-but it's easier when they have another dog,whom they can copy outside!!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my dogs are litter trained at first... it helped already having a dog that was already house broke so they caught on pretty quick... i still keep a litter box in garage that they will go to if they need to when i am working... its alot easier scooping it out of litter box and the pine pellets help control the odor.. sorry not much help on your question.. we have more females then males... 3 girls, 1 boy.. he was the rescue and wanted to mark everything in the house.. it was a nightmare until i got him fixed.. now he still don't like going out but i think it has something to do with his background.. he acted afraid to go out when i got him.. and if he did go out to porch he didn't want me to close the door.. i had to go with him many times.i think the poor boy was kept outside alot , probably because he wasn't house broke and someone didn't want to take the time to teach him. (which did not take long at all)
i wont go there on that subject because i get angry,, but .. he knows now and he is even using the litter box.. again i think the 3 girls helped teaching him that .. lol..

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

I have to spread rep so ....
LOL yes Odin does that " ' hey!! Yo, i gotta take a piss!!' " he has a certain whine while standing at the sliding glass door if I have missed all the other signs of I gotta go . We are pretty good with scheduled stuff around here , i also am a caregiver to My MoM at 80 years with her health concerns were pretty regimented , I laugh like H when i read your post well put 2Bully lol

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
PUNKY We are very much the same as you here , all the dogs we have at home at present are saves and come with there own baggage in different area,s . I have tried hard to stick to only females here but that went by the wayside when Odin needed to be gotten out of his situation quickly , then Dakota came along and his life depended on getting him here asap so I have now two males and there still trying to figure out who will be the dominate of each other . We are blessed with Willow a Siberian Husky who has always been a mother to any and all pups I have brought into the pack , she cleans sleeps plays you name it she does all the mother like teaching to all our pups , at 9 yrs I hope she is up too one more pup for Me . Thganks for help and advice appreciated very much .
Nat

Last edited:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've only had girls (4). Three of them were the easiest dogs I've ever house trained. I was amazed by them! Then I got Winnie and she was impossible compared to my other three. She wasn't what I'd call "fully house trained" until about 8 months. A couple of weeks ago she peed on the floor when we had a lot of people over. I think she was having so much fun, she couldn't tear herself away to go outside. She's 14 months now. So, I guess I'd say, in my case, it depends on the dog.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I suppose it depends on the dog. I only have a male so there is none to compare against. Harvey got the message early on. He will go outside like clockwork. There are very rare accidents.

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Thanks My friends very much all advice is appreciated very much in the relearn stage here

Nat

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.