Suprelorin

Mandy

Jan 30, 2011
Wellington NZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie , Cruz & Brittie
Hi all , Just wondering if anyone here has used Suprelorin for their Bully ? its the approx 12 month concreption injection. I am waiting for it to come back into stock here in NZ (grrr been waiting since November) . I have just had my vet give Cruz (aged 2.5 years) the short acting version while we wait for the Suprelorin. Both Cruz and my Bullmastiff (aged 6 years) have always been best of mates but just lately Cruz has been going Numer'0 (Bullmastiff) I am thinking age and the introduction of a new puppy bitch into the house has upset him . I am hoping that the injection will help calm him ? also having Numer'0 neutered next Friday . Fingers crossed that less testosterone flying around will make the boys feel happier .

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never heard of that. Sounds interesting, please let us know what all you find out about it. Hope all goes easy for Numer'0 neuter next friday.

OP
M

Mandy

Jan 30, 2011
Wellington NZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie , Cruz & Brittie
What is Suprelorin® and How does it Work?:

Suprelorin® is a sustained release biocompatible implant that contains the active ingredient deslorelin (gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist).
  • Cylindrical implant - similar size to a microchip
  • Presented in a pre-loaded implanter with actuator supplied
  • Implant is placed subcutaneously between the shoulder blades – no anaesthetic required
  • Deslorelin is released from the implant (proprietary lipid mixture) over a well defined profile
Due to the prolonged release of deslorelin, GnRH receptors within the pituitary gland are desensitised. Consequently the production and release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinising hormone (LH) are impaired. No FSH and LH means no testosterone and this means no sperm (See diagram below).

suprelorin_dog_figure.gif

OP
M

Mandy

Jan 30, 2011
Wellington NZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie , Cruz & Brittie
A non-surgical method to suppress testosterone - first launched in Australia in December 2004 and New Zealand September 2005. It can be used for long or short term suppression of reproductive function of dogs and in situations where a reduced testosterone level is required, such as controlling antisocial behaviour and treating prostatic enlargement.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't heard of it either. Sounds like a good birth control method for males. I wonder if they have tested it on humans???

Yes would that be great if us with human SONS could also have a birth control solution? Slip it in a piece of cheese just like for the dogs! :evil:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online