Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] A lot depends on how many coats of polyurethane he has put on the hardwood. The more coats, the less chance of scratches. They have the plastic
"covers" for cat's nails, you could probably find some for dog's nails. socks or shoes would be slippery, and as stated-"hold in the heat". I have hardwood
floors,and tile. The older I get, the less I worry about "stuff". It's only material things...,.life is more important. I care more about my dogs than the floor.
My niece married a guy who cared more about his "stuff" than anything. Needless to say,she couldn't deal with that for too long.

Warning: maybe he's not the guy for a dog mama. Just sayin'. Look for the nail covers......

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Is it manufactured hardwood flooring if so should have NO problem due to the finish they put on at the factory , Now if your boyfriend put the finish on that might be a different issue

The wood was imported from somewhere, and I think it is a combination of mahogany and pine. He has been building this house himself for the last two years, and the floors were the last to be completed. He knows I'm crazy about my Bulldogs, so he might be willing to compromise. I haven't even been to his house since he has moved in. Tonight will be the first time, and I'm leaving them at home with my 15 year old son. I plan to discuss with the boyfriend to find out what his thoughts are. I have suggested rugs already, but he is in no hurry to purchase any. Like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] said, it may be either the dogs or him.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have four in my house and they all run up and down the hardwood floors and no problems. I mop wax over the floors and let the dogs go. I think it depends on the type of wood floors you have as to how much they will scratch. Good luck.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
What an interesting thread! Responses alternate between "no problems whatsoever" and "floor is all scratched up!" I put ceramic tile down in most of the house like 25 years ago, because I've always had dogs. I probably wouldn't care about scratched hardwood floors--scratches give wood character--right? I think keeping nails short is the best advice.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Pine is soft so you may get some marks on that. I have engineered hardwood wide plank with a small amount of distressing bought with the dogs in mind and there is not a scratch on it after two years. I could have bought the kind without the distressing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You might want yo look into nail covers fir when you go over... We have oak hardwood and they pups have scratched but i like the character and age it gives the floor look.... You can also make sure the pups nails stay very short

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
The wood was imported from somewhere, and I think it is a combination of mahogany and pine. He has been building this house himself for the last two years, and the floors were the last to be completed. He knows I'm crazy about my Bulldogs, so he might be willing to compromise. I haven't even been to his house since he has moved in. Tonight will be the first time, and I'm leaving them at home with my 15 year old son. I plan to discuss with the boyfriend to find out what his thoughts are. I have suggested rugs already, but he is in no hurry to purchase any. Like @Manydogs said, it may be either the dogs or him.

Well Mahogany is definitely a hard wood but pine is definitely not , and i have never heard of a combo hard wood and soft wood , if as you say a COMBO the pine is and will take a beating from any dogs nails sorry . Pine is soft very soft no matter for flooring what finish you put on it it will mark , think to Me the only thing softer is Cedar .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.