Question about hardwood floors & toenails

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
My boyfriend just finished building his house, and he has beautiful hardwood floors. I'm worried my Bullies will scratch his floors, and I would like to come up with a solution. I want to be able to take them to his house without him being uptight that they will ruin his floors. Does anyone have a suggestion? My 15 year old son thought I was crazy when I mentioned shoes for them!

Picture of the flooring:
image.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Unless you put socks or shoes on (which I don't think is very practical but who knows?), my experience has been scratches and scuffs on the hardwood floor. I just go with the flow and accept it since my house is pretty old and the floor needs to be refinished one of these days anyway. When i had hardwood put into my condo I was pretty paranoid about the boys scratching (which they did), but i got used to it. Sorry, not very helpful advice here!

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
I would just be extra diligent with keeping their nails trimmed so as not to allow them to grow long enough to cause scratches and you should be just fine. :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My hardwood floors are ruined from them. I just wouldn't take your guys to your boyfriends house. His floors are too new to chance it.
Also, you need to be careful with booties since these guys a are prone to overheating and booties make it even harder for them to release heat.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Is it manufactured hardwood flooring if so should have NO problem due to the finish they put on at the factory , Now if your boyfriend put the finish on that might be a different issue

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
BTW I have 5 dogs and hardwood floors no issues , if I was to complain I get more wear on the hardwood stairs from there nails , putting booties on something that is already pretty slippy to begin with might cause stress on the BD joints, elbows ect ect as there would be very little traction for the dogs .

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
My whole house is hardwood and tile except the bedrooms and I think furniture has caused more damage than Chunky has. The biggest problem is him trying to run on it and not being able to get any traction.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have parquet floors and I have never even thought of Castor possibly ruining them! On the other hand, our floors are old.

Perhaps you can check with the manufacturer of the floors?

BreakfastAtMe

Jun 21, 2015
North Dakota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill
One thing that might help is adding area rugs. I have not noticed any scratches on my floor but heard that hardwood can be difficult on dogs. Plus my puppy is still pretty clumsy hah, so I feel bad when he falls. We added rugs to the main areas that he hangs out in and that seems to be working well for him.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
BTW I have 5 dogs and hardwood floors no issues , if I was to complain I get more wear on the hardwood stairs from there nails , putting booties on something that is already pretty slippy to begin with might cause stress on the BD joints, elbows ect ect as there would be very little traction for the dogs .

Honestly, I'm stunned. Five dogs and no issues?
Maybe what we consider issue are different. For instance, my two scratched up the floor is various places. It's not immediately noticeable if you don't look for it, but I know where they were and it drove me nuts.

In my house, I got rid of the oak floors (some said I was crazy) and put in porcelain tile planks because I can't stand to have any scratches.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have 4 dogs with another coming (hopefully) and I do not have any problem with scratches on my hardwood floors. I would not care anyway, I would just have them redone when they got bad. I know it being in someone elses house is a problem though. I guess try to keep his nails short like previously suggested.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
We have hardwood floors too but it's darker so it's isn't noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Honestly, I'm stunned. Five dogs and no issues?
Maybe what we consider issue are different. For instance, my two scratched up the floor is various places. It's not immediately noticeable if you don't look for it, but I know where they were and it drove me nuts.

In my house, I got rid of the oak floors (some said I was crazy) and put in porcelain tile planks because I can't stand to have any scratches.

As i said the only place I had issues are the stairs from them ALL going up at say bed time , in that case they are pushing there bodies up the stairs dig the claws in different to do it , walking or even playing on the other hard wood has never been a issue at all .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.