Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about hardwood floors & toenails

I have 4 dogs with another coming (hopefully) and I do not have any problem with scratches on my hardwood floors. I would not care anyway, I would just have them redone when they got bad. I know it being in someone elses house is a problem though. I guess try to keep his nails short like previously suggested.
    My smooshy face boy!

Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

We have hardwood floors too but it's darker so it's isn't noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Honestly, I'm stunned. Five dogs and no issues?
    Maybe what we consider issue are different. For instance, my two scratched up the floor is various places. It's not immediately noticeable if you don't look for it, but I know where they were and it drove me nuts.

In my house, I got rid of the oak floors (some said I was crazy) and put in porcelain tile planks because I can't stand to have any scratches.

As i said the only place I had issues are the stairs from them ALL going up at say bed time , in that case they are pushing there bodies up the stairs dig the claws in different to do it , walking or even playing on the other hard wood has never been a issue at all .

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Mom of Tucker A lot depends on how many coats of polyurethane he has put on the hardwood. The more coats, the less chance of scratches. They have the plastic
    "covers" for cat's nails, you could probably find some for dog's nails. socks or shoes would be slippery, and as stated-"hold in the heat". I have hardwood
    floors,and tile. The older I get, the less I worry about "stuff". It's only material things...,.life is more important. I care more about my dogs than the floor.
    My niece married a guy who cared more about his "stuff" than anything. Needless to say,she couldn't deal with that for too long.

Warning: maybe he's not the guy for a dog mama. Just sayin'. Look for the nail covers......
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by natski282 View Post
    Is it manufactured hardwood flooring if so should have NO problem due to the finish they put on at the factory , Now if your boyfriend put the finish on that might be a different issue
    The wood was imported from somewhere, and I think it is a combination of mahogany and pine. He has been building this house himself for the last two years, and the floors were the last to be completed. He knows I'm crazy about my Bulldogs, so he might be willing to compromise. I haven't even been to his house since he has moved in. Tonight will be the first time, and I'm leaving them at home with my 15 year old son. I plan to discuss with the boyfriend to find out what his thoughts are. I have suggested rugs already, but he is in no hurry to purchase any. Like @Manydogs said, it may be either the dogs or him.

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I have four in my house and they all run up and down the hardwood floors and no problems. I mop wax over the floors and let the dogs go. I think it depends on the type of wood floors you have as to how much they will scratch. Good luck.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

What an interesting thread! Responses alternate between "no problems whatsoever" and "floor is all scratched up!" I put ceramic tile down in most of the house like 25 years ago, because I've always had dogs. I probably wouldn't care about scratched hardwood floors--scratches give wood character--right? I think keeping nails short is the best advice.

8. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Pine is soft so you may get some marks on that. I have engineered hardwood wide plank with a small amount of distressing bought with the dogs in mind and there is not a scratch on it after two years. I could have bought the kind without the distressing!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

10. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You might want yo look into nail covers fir when you go over... We have oak hardwood and they pups have scratched but i like the character and age it gives the floor look.... You can also make sure the pups nails stay very short
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    The wood was imported from somewhere, and I think it is a combination of mahogany and pine. He has been building this house himself for the last two years, and the floors were the last to be completed. He knows I'm crazy about my Bulldogs, so he might be willing to compromise. I haven't even been to his house since he has moved in. Tonight will be the first time, and I'm leaving them at home with my 15 year old son. I plan to discuss with the boyfriend to find out what his thoughts are. I have suggested rugs already, but he is in no hurry to purchase any. Like @Manydogs said, it may be either the dogs or him.
    Well Mahogany is definitely a hard wood but pine is definitely not , and i have never heard of a combo hard wood and soft wood , if as you say a COMBO the pine is and will take a beating from any dogs nails sorry . Pine is soft very soft no matter for flooring what finish you put on it it will mark , think to Me the only thing softer is Cedar .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads