Tear stains

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Ughhhhh it's driving me bananas!!! Brett's is getting worse. I have been giving him yogurt. Filtered water. Fromm pork and peas and yet it's still bad. My poor baby [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
I'm sure you've tried the baking soda trick in the water? Works in changing PH in pool water. Just a thought. It sounds like it's his own internal,chemistry not necessarily from an outside source.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sure you've tried the baking soda trick in the water? Works in changing PH in pool water. Just a thought. It sounds like it's his own internal,chemistry not necessarily from an outside source.

No I haven't

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)

I've never heard of this. Have you tried it? I've occasionally put some apple cider vinegar in the water bowl, but they don't seem to like it much.

I just bought some Stridex pads to try on Tucker. Sophie doesn't seem to have that problem.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Have you been giving him snacks that might be causing the tear stains?

I've mentioned this before but Tate had terrible tear stains. I've cut out all snacks except for frozen green beans, p-butter, and rice cakes (only once in awhile), and also feeding him a home cooked diet (tho i'm slowly integrating the kibble again), and his tear stains have turned a 180. His eyes are also clearer and not bloodshot like they were. He's also on pro biopics and yogurt.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Right there with ya!
We just got the name of a dermatologist from our vet at the last appt. for allergy testing (I guess they don't do it at the vet's office).
We also just ordered malacetic otic from the pet store where we buy his food.
I finally gave in and got Angel Eyes (without antibiotics) but I'm skeptical considering his treats have similar ingredients.
The last food switch REALLY did him in w/staining...they got so bold and nasty, I was wiping 3-4x a day....however, considering all the things that could go wrong w/bullies, tear stains are no longer as big of a deal.
Let me know if you find something that works.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have just recently begun snacks, but they are grain free from Blue Wilderness. I also give frozen blueberries for treats, and nothing more. I am feeding the Taste of the Wild Bison, using Salmon oil in the morning, NuVet as a "treat" and at night, I mix yogurt with beef bone broth that I make. Tucker is the only one with the tear stains. Sophie is just a pretty little princess with no tear stains, and the only difference in their diet is that she is on the puppy formula.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I've put cornel on cheap crap food and started putting ACV in the water bowl his pink face has cleared and the tear stains are a little better

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls have had tear stains forever until recently. Amber and Ruby were the worst; so bad that I had given up and just accepted it. Well, the other day Ruby jumped up on my lap (I have been on the road lately for my job so I haven't been around much and head out again this weekend) and when I looked at her eyes she had absolutely NO tear stains. I almost fell out of the chair. Then I looked at Amber and she too is tear stain free. I don't know when it happened but I am amazed and the only thing I have done different is the fed store ran out of Earthborn Ocean whatever so I had to buy Earthborn Meadow Feast (lamb). I bought three bags and they have been eating that for the past month. Needless to say, Earthborn Meadow Feast is now a my go to food for them. I have 4 eating it so we buy large quantities and everyone is looking fantastic. No nothing coming from the eyes, no yeast, nothing. Even their tail pockets only have lose hair and no dirt or anything. WOOHOO!!!!! It has taken me 4 years but I think I am finally on to the solution for my groupies!!!! Good luck.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I've put cornel on cheap crap food and started putting ACV in the water bowl his pink face has cleared and the tear stains are a little better

What is cornel?
[MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION] I may need to look into the Earthborn Meadow Feast. I don't know if I've ever even seen it thanks!

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Sorry that's my dog and auto correct sucks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have You had the eyelashes checked?

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have You had the eyelashes checked?

I did. Everything's fine. I think ever since I switched him to pork and peas ...but he loves the food

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did. Everything's fine. I think ever since I switched him to pork and peas ...but he loves the food

That happens with Banks on Lamb/lentil... Went back to Pork/Peas and it cleared up

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Might have to go back to pork and peas as well

Most Reactions