Future travel with 5 month old puppy...

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Is there anyone out there that travel much with their bulldog(s)? We have some fall travel coming up, at least 5 hours plus each way.

Charlie now is 5 months old and Ive never traveled any meaningful distance with any pet. How about over the counter meds for upset stomachs etc...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. IMG_0526.JPG

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
Is there anyone out there that travel much with their bulldog(s)? We have some fall travel coming up, at least 5 hours plus each way.

Charlie now is 5 months old and Ive never traveled any meaningful distance with any pet. How about over the counter meds for upset stomachs etc...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.View attachment 90663
Sadly[emoji20] ... I haven't been anywhere since we got Chubby. 1yr 1/2ago.He does like the short rides we go on. [emoji592] [emoji593] [emoji594] [emoji190]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
I have taken 2-3 hr trip with Boris and he sleeps most of the way. He has been traveling since I got him usually on 45 minute hour trips to my family's house.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I took Winslow (at the time he was about one year) on what wound up being a 14 hour drive :eek: and he was a dream. Uhh, it was all a dream for him, i was actually concerned at how much he slept on the ride.
I'd say try to get yours in the car for an hour or so drive, to see how it goes. :)

Do find out what kind of restraint will work best for your car, and pooch. Safety first! :D

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola hits the road with us, at first for 5 hour trips home, now the trip is closer to 8-9 hours by car. She will stay on the floor in front of me (passenger front) in our current car. In our old car, a large sedan, she would sit in the back again on the floor. We always take a cooler with us for water and ice and a squirt bottle of lemon juice in case she has a hard time breathing (to break up phlegm in her throat), and treats (sweet potato fries or cheese). Lola will drink out of a glass hamster bottle so that is convenient. :)

She doesn't like to chew toys in the car, but will occasionally sleep for an hour or two. She's patient, and I believe used to long car rides by now. We stop once for a 5 hour trip (and sometimes she refuses to leave the car to pee) and once for an 8 hour trip I guess as well, which she does do her business on longer trips. Our dog is quite happy being an indoors dog, she rarely will go for walks but rather runs and exercises inside. If she was more active (or less utterly terrified of unfamiliar outdoors) I would absolutely walk her for breaks from the car.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have received great advice already, and I agree with jenzaar that it would be a good idea to go on an hour drive to see how he tolerates the car. I don't have any experience taking our guys on a road trip, but they have been on many car rides that were an hour, and they love the car. They will spend the first few minutes looking out the window, but then wil, settle and sleep the rest of the time. As jenzaar mentioned you can buy a dog seat belt restraint if he is restless or running around the car for his safety. Also keep him safe by making sure he has a collar on him that has his name, address and telephone number in case he gets away by mistake on a potty break or water break. Make sure you have plenty of fresh water for him to drink, and don't leave him unattended outside of a gas station, store, or restaurant if you make a stop, always make sure someone stays with him, English Bulldogs have a high kidnapping rate and someone might grab him if he were to be tied up outside while you went into a store, washroom, or gas station, even for a minute. I've heard you can give a dog Gravol, but I don't know if that's true or what the dose is, but you can ask your vet.

OP
Brian Melton

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Thanks for the replies-Im a little apprehensive because Chuck can get freaked out in unfamiliar situations-it should be interesting...I'll give him a healthy walk prior to the drive and see if I can get a photo op pee break with "Bigfoot" outside of Trout Run, Pa. Someone put a life sized sasquatch at the edge of the woods along Rt 15-he might just loose his "ish"....

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We travel everywhere with them, just finished a app 10 hr trip in one day with ours . We have a seat belt restraint for them for our safety and the dogs , It allows some freedom of movement for the dog but if there was a accident would stop the dog from coming forward at high velocity in to us or the windshield , you will need to also buy a harness for your dog to use this correctly . We stop A LOT for the dog to be able to have a break weather it is a P or the other , carry lots of water in a cooler and treats . We do not crate them as our dogs like to look around A lot , but you can depending on your dog , we take THERE blankets and toys with us . We are very lucky as our dogs let us know when they have to go P or other so that makes life much easier for all concerned , but we stop a lot and work those stops into our time schedule. We will soon be going on the same drive to pick up a 8 week old OEB pup so that will be a bit different as it is a pup and will take a lot longer .

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My two do a 2 hour road trip each way and every weekend. No problems.

We also used to go to Florida from NY a few times a year. It's a 24 hour drive that we split up into two days. Blue just slept in the back most of the ride.

As far as medications go, just take the usual and ask your vet about anything specific for motion sickness.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I haven't taken a trip lately, but when I got Maude, I also got a pup for my sister. When they were 5 months old, I went on a 13hour drive to deliver the pup to my sis.
I was alone,with 5 dogs. The pups had a large snoozer car seat, which was in the front with me. The other 3 were in the back seat. My "Frug" gets a little "hysterical" with excitement, so she gets a little bit of liquid Ace. When I had to stop for fuel, I would take turns walking the dogs. My biggest fear these days is stopping at rest stops,as I am alone,and vulnerable while walking so many dogs. The dogs all behaved very well. I bring food, water,bowl, and treats,but they don't really want much while traveling.
One dog on a trip will be "easy peasy"! Just take a few of favorite toys,bed, and food, treats, and bowl. Any things else for emergency-meds. benedryl,pepcid type meds
leash.... and HAPPY TRAILS to you! If your dog has a crate-take it ,too. Mine sleep in theirs at night-so I had to take them,too! Ugh! If your dog is the nervous type, you might want to ask your vet for something to calm him on the trip.

OP
Brian Melton

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
So far so good - Charlie's rocking it and the five hour trip to western New York went better than expected. He's off his poop schedule since this mornings routine, lunch was light with no issues. He wasn't thrilled with the hotel lobby, sliding doors, kids with minion backpacks, spooky elevators, etc...but he's passed out on the suites couch right now-fingers crossed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did two weeks cross country with our first boy, Nitschke-- he was a travel champ. Our second Banks HATED the car but we did take her to Chicago a few times... Dramamine and Pepid helped but we also got Xanax from our vet for her. Now Lambeau and Cheli are both car lovers and go everywhere with us

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online