Renegade

Jul 28, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Renegade Cherry
I just got my allergy test for my two year old bulldog and he is allergic to everything!!! Here is the list- Yoghurt, Vinegar, Veal, Calf, Strawberry, Squash, Sesame, Salmonberry, Rice, Rasberry, Rabbit, Pear, Peanut, Milk, Lactose, Grain mix, Egg, Corn- Red, Cheese, Blueberry, Blackeyed Pea, Beef, Bean, Barley, Apricot, Apple mix

I feel so bad for him and don't know where to start. Right now I feed him Fromm Pork and Peas and he does ok with it but still scratches too much and gets hot spots and sheds like crazy. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Happy RG.jpg
    Happy RG.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 101

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Marvel Dog Food - Grain Free | The Honest Kitchen

This is a link for a limited ingredient dog food. Maybe you could check it out...With all those allergies it might be homecooking or raw food time?? There are so many food experts on this site that can offer you much more help than me. I could stare into his eyes all day! He is so sweet! I hope you find something that works for him.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What kind of test was this and who administered it?
I mean the labs will do it, but there's a disclaimer that says it's not accurate and the only way to know is to do an elimination diet. Your vet should have told you this.

So please take those results with a grain of salt.

If this was an online test kit, then go to your vet and have them do a real allergy test. This will give you a good idea of whether or not your pup has environmental allergies.

Otherwise, the food game starts.

Can you tell us what other proteins he's already been on and how he did?

OP
R

Renegade

Jul 28, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Renegade Cherry
This whas done through Naturopathic Health Clinic in Tulsa Ok. He's been fighting allergies since a puppy so have only had him on Royal Canine bulldog, royal canin hypoallergenic, and Fromm Pork and Peas. You think I should start trying different dog food to see how he does?

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Charlie went from Orijen Puppy which was chicken based to Arcana Pork with Butternut Squash with the Acana Pacifica mixed in. Mixed with a bit of boiled turkey, real pumpkin, and a teaspoon of coconut oil a day. What a difference. His coat is excellent, pooping like a cloydo factory, and no more gooey eyes. Before, he pooped puddles and was miserable and most likely had a chicken allergy.

The best part, zero gut bombs and a clean butt. Awesome!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
This whas done through Naturopathic Health Clinic in Tulsa Ok. He's been fighting allergies since a puppy so have only had him on Royal Canine bulldog, royal canin hypoallergenic, and Fromm Pork and Peas. You think I should start trying different dog food to see how he does?

I'm all for homeopathic medicine, but there aren't any allergy tests that can accurately diagnose food allergies in dogs. It's all trial and error, and elimination. Meaning you start with one protein, and if there's no reaction, you add another ingredient. No reaction, add another. It takes time, and you need to know what to feed. A vet can help you with that.

One of mine has been fighting allergies since he was 4 months old. In our case, I tried various proteins, nothing worked. When he was 1.5 years old, we did allergy testing (twice). He has a ton of environmental allergies so all the food changes I did were pointless. Well, not pointless, he's definitely sensitive to pork.

In your case, I would try a limited ingredient food, that has only one protein source. Read the ingredients to make sure there's only one protein. Do a slow change, then when fully on the new food, keep him on it for 30 days to see how he does. No treats or any other food for those 30 days.

You can check out Instinct Grain Free Limited Ingredient kibbles.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You should call The Honest Kitchen.... they really helpd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] determine how to find the right mix for his Harlea and she had great results. As Ellie stated... it is a long road of trail and error before you will get the right blend of food for him

best of luck

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally understand what you are going through. I have the same issues with my male Bulldozer. He is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, and lamb. He does fine on a food for a while, he was on Fromms Beef Frittata for 2 years and then developed an allergy to it, so I switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, after 9 months, he developed an allergy to this food as well. The vet says he is developing allergies over time, which means his immune system is low. He suggested we put him on a limited ingredient vegan food to detoxify him from all proteins and then start him on a limited ingredient food with a protein that he has never had before like kangaroo, or venison. The idea is that you remove all proteins and then ad one that he has never had before so that his immune system doesn't recognize it and hopefully won't react to it. We started Dozer on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble. Natural Balance is the only brand that makes a Vegan food here in Canada. I can only feed him this food for 3 weeks to a month because there is joy protein in it. He's been on it for 12 days and his eyes have already cleared up, and he's not licking or scratching as much. His paw that he was licking raw has improved a lot, his ears are still a little yeasty, but better. He has lost some weight and is getting on the skinny side, but I'm only going to keep him on this food for another week, and then switch him over to Natures Variety limited ingredient Kangaroo. I also noticed he's not shedding as much. I have cut out all treats, fruits, vegetables, and supplements, and then once he's on the new food for a while and I see how he tolerates it, I will slowly add back these things one at a time so I know which one he doesn't tolerate. When he first started the vegan kibble, he was a little constipated, but now his poops are normal. If this does not work, then my next step would be to home cook for him.
I hope you can find something that works for your guy. It really is just trial and error and patience. Good luck.

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
I have had the same problems with my bulldog, she was on royal canine also, and has a lot of allergies, she on wellness simple turkey & potato now, she does better on this, also we do allergy pill over the counter. Good luck

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I had the same problem after having spike allergy tested, I ended up homecooking but still had problems, in the end I found a tinned food called Simpson's the good thing is they do plenty of flavours, I alternate every 3 day's between Turkey & duck and rabbit & vennison flavour, I read it was important to change the protein every few days.

sherinudelman

Sep 18, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
Renegade, I see you feed your pup Fromm. It contains whole egg, which you point out is an allergen. Maybe this is the problem? I am tuned in to this because my bully Bowzer is allergic to eggs. He does wonderfully on Wellness single-protein dry food. He now eats the Salmon/potato variety. Hope this helps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.