ngome002

Sep 2, 2015
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Don Vito, Chopper
I just signed up for this Forum today, so I may not be posting this in the right place, but was hoping someone could help me.
I have an English Bulldog that started limping last night when I went to let him out. He tore his ACL a year ago, and had surgery and has been fine ever since. He is 3 1/2 years old, and is not very energetic so I can't imagine he tore his other ACL (I'm not sure if that is even a possibility). A while ago while at the vet, we were told that he was starting to get some arthritis in his hips. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be, or know of something that may cause him some relief until I can get him to the vet on Friday.

I have attached a picture of both of my boys, but the one I am asking about is Chopper (the darker colored one on the left).

Thank you in advance,
Norma

Attachments

• Vito and Chopper.jpg
    Vito and Chopper.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 244

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

With the surgery/injury arthitis can set in quicker..... place him on crate rest for a couple days and add some daily joint supplements (glucosamine) to his food. It should help.... if still limping in 3-4 days take him in to make sure there are no other injuries as it can happen to the other leg and it could also be his knee cap coming loose.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Welcome to EBN!

With the surgery/injury arthitis can set in quicker..... place him on crate rest for a couple days and add some daily joint supplements (glucosamine) to his food. It should help.... if still limping in 3-4 days take him in to make sure there are no other injuries as it can happen to the other leg and it could also be his knee cap coming loose.

:goodpost: Agree. You can do some warm compresses & massage too if its just a sore muscle. Depending on how severe the arthritis is - there are many options for treatment. We are current doing Adequan injections for Tyson.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob is 4 years old and he had a limp for about a month. We took away everything he could jump on, took him only on short walks, and started to give him Nujoint. I slept on the floor with him ALL month long. It got better and better everyday until the limp was gone. Once in a while he will get a random limp that only lasts about 2/3 days.

If he has had ACL issues in the past, I would definitely have him checked again. I personally had knee surgery as a teen and was told I may need surgery in the OTHER knee down the road AND early arthritis in my "surgery" knee.

I HIGHLY recommend putting him on some sort of joint supplement though and also make sure that while you're waiting to see the vet he doesn't jump up and down on anything. Keep us posted. BOTH of those boys are way too handsome.

OP
N

ngome002

Sep 2, 2015
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Don Vito, Chopper
Thank you so much. I will head to the store to get him some joint supplements. You've all been very helpful. I appreciate it (=

OP
N

ngome002

Sep 2, 2015
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Don Vito, Chopper
I am not sure how to reply to each of your posts individually. But 2BullyMama, TyTysmom and Goobs14 your babies are adorable!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you so much. I will head to the store to get him some joint supplements. You've all been very helpful. I appreciate it (=

You are welcome! Make sure whatever supplement you buy, it contains, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane).

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I am not sure how to reply to each of your posts individually. But 2BullyMama, TyTysmom and Goobs14 your babies are adorable!!
We are having arthritis issues with our 2 1/2 year old and it ended up being in his knees.He is currently getting Adequan shots and cold laser therapy and we give him Dausquin supplements and so far after 4 weeks he plays more and sleeps less.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online