Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Extra bonus to losing some weight

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    961
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default Extra bonus to losing some weight

    So it came to our attention in the beginning of the year that we had let Winslow get quite fat.
    At first we were outraged at the suggestion that he lose 15-20 pounds (it WAS one quarter of Winslow that they were trying to get rid of, after all. Do the math). Then we came to terms with his weight (okay well i did, while my husband continued to take it as a personal offense) and halved his diet.

    He's down at least 11 pounds now (haven't weighed him in a month or so) and when i look at pictures.. well yes there's quite a difference.


    Omg this picture cracks me up. It's just so hilariously unflattering.

    Tonight - also unflattering but he was not happy about having to pose. Oh well!

    I'm not sure if the difference is that noticeable in these pics or not..

    We both see a huge difference in his form (which hubby is now happy with ). There's also a marked difference in his energy level too. His walks are long again and he can play a lot harder, but of course he still loves to snuggle and sleep a lot.

    Here's the reason i thought to post this though...
    The day the vet told me to put him on a diet, i had asked her about his scooting. I didn't think he had any anal gland stuff going on, but he was scooting all the time (and angrily!) if i didn't clean his tail pocket more and more frequently. She told me the extra weight could have something to do with it - essentially that he had a fat a$s!!
    Well he rarely scoots his butt around now, his tail pocket is SO much easier to clean, and it takes much longer for it to get funky in the first place! She definitely had that one right!

    The point? Tail pocket nasties and extra weight went together in our story. I know all bullies are different, but maybe it's worth a thought if your normally-easy-to-clean bully is requiring a little extra maintenance.

  2. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,641
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6666

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    I think he looks great! Don't lose any more
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  3. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  4. #3
    Dog Park Attendant Roseann's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    I can see a big difference. He looks great! However, I think he looks great in the "fat" picture too. Lol I'm glad his booty problem is better. It's strange how little things that you don't think of make such a big difference. Now, if hi could only have the self control to cut my food in half and loose the 20 pounds I've put on, that would be awesome! I could probably walk without wanting to lay down in the street too! I'm proud of you for sticking to his diet. I'm fairly obsessive about how much my guys eat, my hubby tends to give them extra. I try to explain that they get lots of extra calories from the treats and extras they get every day. We've had Macon for only a couple weeks and I had a hard time determining if she was over weight or under weight. The vet explained to keep her weight the same and try to exercise her. She has no muscle tone so it makes it seem like she's skinny if you look at her waist but seems fat if you look at her chest. I wa going into tractor supply with her and an old man very dryly says you need to feed that dog more, she's awful skinny, then walks out. I didn't know if her was being rude because she looks fat in the chest or looks skinny in the back and waist. I've been obsessing over it because it is driving me crazy! Anyway, you need to feel good about how your baby looks. I think he looks fantastic! Also, I shouldn't respond to posts this early in the morning, I ramble on way to much!

  5. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    Love how he looks like he's posing in both pics! haha.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  6. Likes jenzaar liked this post
  7. #5
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,198
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2731

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    Winslow's 1st pic is awesome, please frame it! It's absolutely flattering,
    he looks absolutely REGAL, so handsome, I swoon & my heart THUDS.

    Thank you for a great post and one we should all take notice of, it's
    difficult to really access bulldogs weight from the way they're built.
    I've let Cami build back up to 64 lbs & truly am ashamed, got her on
    her diet again, she's lost some in the 3 weeks she's been on it, fussing
    up a storm

    It's for their better health, easier on their joints & longer lives...gotta do it!

    Thank you for a very timely & honest post, Cami & I are smitten w/Winslow!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  8. Likes jenzaar, 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #6
    Wrinkle Wiper Brian Melton's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Posts
    108
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)
    154

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    What a "catch 22" He looks great in both pics but I prefer the before pic. If I saw him at the front door, I'd be cautious approaching.

  10. Likes jenzaar, Texas Carol liked this post
  11. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    961
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    @Manydogs
    He's supposed to get one cup of food with each meal... Somehow the cup got filled twice per meal. Some force of wizardry i think....
    So i think his weight should just plateau where it's meant to be? That's the plan, at least!

    Quote Originally Posted by Roseann View Post
    I can see a big difference. He looks great! However, I think he looks great in the "fat" picture too. Lol I'm glad his booty problem is better. It's strange how little things that you don't think of make such a big difference. Now, if hi could only have the self control to cut my food in half and loose the 20 pounds I've put on, that would be awesome! I could probably walk without wanting to lay down in the street too! I'm proud of you for sticking to his diet. I'm fairly obsessive about how much my guys eat, my hubby tends to give them extra. I try to explain that they get lots of extra calories from the treats and extras they get every day. We've had Macon for only a couple weeks and I had a hard time determining if she was over weight or under weight. The vet explained to keep her weight the same and try to exercise her. She has no muscle tone so it makes it seem like she's skinny if you look at her waist but seems fat if you look at her chest. I wa going into tractor supply with her and an old man very dryly says you need to feed that dog more, she's awful skinny, then walks out. I didn't know if her was being rude because she looks fat in the chest or looks skinny in the back and waist. I've been obsessing over it because it is driving me crazy! Anyway, you need to feel good about how your baby looks. I think he looks fantastic! Also, I shouldn't respond to posts this early in the morning, I ramble on way to much!
    Thankyou! And keep up with the rambling!
    I do feel good now about his size. I had planned to bring it up to his doctor, but she beat me to it haha.

    I hope you find a way to get Macon looking a little more beefed up! Whether that man meant it to be harsh or not, he was rude to comment that way. You did not put her in her condition - you're getting her out of it, and seemingly the only person to really try.

  12. #8
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    961
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Winslow's 1st pic is awesome, please frame it! It's absolutely flattering,
    he looks absolutely REGAL, so handsome, I swoon & my heart THUDS.

    Thank you for a great post and one we should all take notice of, it's
    difficult to really access bulldogs weight from the way they're built.
    I've let Cami build back up to 64 lbs & truly am ashamed, got her on
    her diet again, she's lost some in the 3 weeks she's been on it, fussing
    up a storm

    It's for their better health, easier on their joints & longer lives...gotta do it!

    Thank you for a very timely & honest post, Cami & I are smitten w/Winslow!
    Awww thanks so much!!
    He is still just a mushy and rolly, so I'm happy either way!
    Happier that his energy, and hopefully long-term health, are impacted.

    Where you said it's difficult to asses their weight from how they're built... You are spot on!!
    They really do come in so many shapes and sizes, so how do we know what is the ideal weight? His is a big boy so i don't think that 60lbs is ideal as the vet said he should be. And at 81 pounds, i could still see his "waist" so that was my reason for continuing to think we could feed him so much!

    I guess it really does come down to how we feel and think, and of course how well we stomach strangers' opinions on how "fat" or "skinny" or whatever else they look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Melton View Post
    What a "catch 22" He looks great in both pics but I prefer the before pic. If I saw him at the front door, I'd be cautious approaching.
    Haha, even with that scarf/cape on?

    I just prefer him being a puppy/wanting to play, and the idea that it is better on his joints/overall health especially as he ages. He's only 2, but you know, better to be healthy now!
    I can still grab handfuls of his face and smush/swirl his belly skin all over, so I'm set!

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    He looks fantastic... Love that face regardless, but after is much better.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. Likes jenzaar liked this post
  16. #10
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    961
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    He looks fantastic... Love that face regardless, but after is much better.
    Thank you
    I think so too!

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #11
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1018

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    He looks so handsome in both pictures but it is definitely healthier for our bullies to lose extra weight! I know it is good for joints but that is interesting about the tail pocket and booty scooting. We are trying to get Frank down about 5 or so more pounds.

    I just love that first picture of Winslow in his holiday cape!
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  19. #12
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,844
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default Re: Extra bonus to losing some weight

    My gosh, he's gorgeous! I also love the first picture, but really, they are both lovely. You're a great mommy. <3
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}



    IG: @bellatheenglishbully

  20. Likes jenzaar liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •