Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I always felt like it might be too much, but that's what the bag says (probably just to sell more food). We'll try to cut back. Maybe that will help. I have noticed that in the last few weeks/month or so, he's been less excited about eating than he used to be. Maybe he's feeling fuller and just eating because it's there.

Agree with others, way too much food at 2 years old.

Try 1 cup AM & 1 cup PM, you can add 1/2 cup warmed
green beans to each feeding or a cup until he seems
less hungry.

I'd cut dosage of Benydryl to 1 AM & 1 PM, he may be
over medicated.

My Cami is 64 lbs and that's what I feed at her meals &
give Benedryl.

Can you send a pic of him from overhead& one from the
side so w can visually access his weight?

Thank you!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
I went home for lunch and my wife had made rice and hamburger meat. I fed him some and he destroyed it... lol We'll give him more for dinner.

On that note, how do you transition back to "normal" food after the bland diet? Do you mix it in 50/50 for a while, or just switch back?

Haven't heard from the vet yet, still waiting for a call (she was in surgery this AM).

Ok, guys.. I understand what you're all saying about the amount of food. My wife and I agreed that we should cut back. We will do that.

He is very well built for a bully. 65 pounds. He's pretty active for a bully. We've been to our vet recently and she's not concerned with his weight, nor does she think he's overweight. (She's a bulldog vet, one of the two that the Chicago English Bulldog Rescue uses)

I'll try to take the pictures that you're talking about tonight so you can see. (and put your minds at ease..)

We don't give the benadryl all the time, we are just doing it right now as he's getting over a skin infection and some terrible itching associated with that. We'll cut back, or completely come off of it as soon as the vet approves it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I went home for lunch and my wife had made rice and hamburger meat. I fed him some and he destroyed it... lol We'll give him more for dinner.

On that note, how do you transition back to "normal" food after the bland diet? Do you mix it in 50/50 for a while, or just switch back?

Haven't heard from the vet yet, still waiting for a call (she was in surgery this AM).

Ok, guys.. I understand what you're all saying about the amount of food. My wife and I agreed that we should cut back. We will do that.

He is very well built for a bully. 65 pounds. He's pretty active for a bully. We've been to our vet recently and she's not concerned with his weight, nor does she think he's overweight. (She's a bulldog vet, one of the two that the Chicago English Bulldog Rescue uses)

I'll try to take the pictures that you're talking about tonight so you can see. (and put your minds at ease..)

We don't give the benadryl all the time, we are just doing it right now as he's getting over a skin infection and some terrible itching associated with that. We'll cut back, or completely come off of it as soon as the vet approves it.

Bland to kibble needs no transition... just go back to it. My guys live on Benadryl too fro may thru October. Lambeu not so much right now, but Chelios is on it and Banks was for all her grass/tree/mold/weed allergies :facepalm:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lol...okay...we'll back off...just had a conversation, a poll, in
which several of us had overweight bullies and it's so hard
getting it off of them!

At around 2-3 yrs, many start becoming less active so it's a
good time to cut it down now and before he gains too much
weight.

Good job, Y'all :) I just want to see the Beast now to admire!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
IMG_3895.JPGIMG_3898.JPG

Behold... Lord Stanley. Pics just taken 15 minutes ago... Handsome devil, isn't he?

Attachments

• IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
He looks really good to me--not overweight at all. And he is very handsome! Maybe 3 cups isn't too much for him. But I would only feed him twice a day--it's a lot less trouble that way for you, and maybe he will be hungrier if he goes longer between meals. Just a suggestion, of course. See what the vet says. He looks great.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
UPDATE - Stanley ate last night (bland diet) and did well. He woke me up at 1am to go outside, which is a bit unusual, but he went out and did is business quickly.

I spoke to the vet, she said probably a stomach bug and that we should do a dose of pepcid last night and try regular food this morning.

We tried regular food this morning, he wasn't interested so I put a scoop of bland diet on top of it. He ate the whole bowl and then proceeded to go right in the corner and throw it up. I guess I got too aggressive trying to get him back to regular food.

We waited 30 minutes and gave him bland diet and he ate fine and held it down. The regular food must be too heavy/oily for his stomach still.

We're going to stick with bland diet for a few days and see if it passes.

He's still not drinking, so that's a bit concerning, but I did the skin hydration test on him this morning, and his skin snapped right back. Plus he peed and was marking trees on his walk this morning.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks @2BullyMama, @Donnam, [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION], and @TyTysmom

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE - Stanley ate last night (bland diet) and did well. He woke me up at 1am to go outside, which is a bit unusual, but he went out and did is business quickly.

I spoke to the vet, she said probably a stomach bug and that we should do a dose of pepcid last night and try regular food this morning.

We tried regular food this morning, he wasn't interested so I put a scoop of bland diet on top of it. He ate the whole bowl and then proceeded to go right in the corner and throw it up. I guess I got too aggressive trying to get him back to regular food.

We waited 30 minutes and gave him bland diet and he ate fine and held it down. The regular food must be too heavy/oily for his stomach still.

We're going to stick with bland diet for a few days and see if it passes.

He's still not drinking, so that's a bit concerning, but I did the skin hydration test on him this morning, and his skin snapped right back. Plus he peed and was marking trees on his walk this morning.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks @2BullyMama, @Donnam, @Texas Carol, and @TyTysmom

It is going araound..... Lambeau has it now too :(

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I know, I just read your post. Poor Lambeau..

Here's Stanley sleeping during my lunch hour today... He loves to sleep with his back against a wall and his head around the corner. So goofy.

IMG_3900.JPG

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I know, I just read your post. Poor Lambeau..

Here's Stanley sleeping during my lunch hour today... He loves to sleep with his back against a wall and his head around the corner. So goofy.

View attachment 90587

This is Mush boy's favorite spot
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441141134.846905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441141156.386076.jpg

Upside down near the kitchen island. :facepalm:

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
A little update for all. Stanley is going much much better. After a couple of days of bland diet, he went right back to his normal diet. We are working on bringing his amount of food down, and he's feeling much better.

Thanks again for everyone's input. You guys are great!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
View attachment 90560View attachment 90561

Behold... Lord Stanley. Pics just taken 15 minutes ago... Handsome devil, isn't he?
First of all, The Lord is Gorgeous!! He doesn't look over weight to me at all...fyi, my boy got bored w/Pork and Peas, we picked up Salmon and he loves it...(but also battling allergy/tear stain issues) What I really want to know [MENTION=11525]LordStanley[/MENTION] is...
Did you build that fire pit?? And what is that blue stuff in it? It's stunning!!!

Most Reactions