LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Hello all,

Lord Stanley has refused his food the last two days. He's a 2 year old Male, who has never had issues with food before.

He ate 3/4 cup of Fromms Pork and Peas yesterday morning, but refused all other food all day long. He took treats, green beans, and cheese (for pills) from hand all day. He was acting fine, playing normally, pooping, peeing, regular activity.

Now today he hasn't eaten anything other than some green beans from hand. He keeps going by his bowls (there is food waiting there) and looking, but not eating. Like he's expecting something different to be there.

We thought it might be a smell or something so we re-washed everything and even tried moving it to a different place, but no dice.

And of course, because he's hungry, he's acting up with the leash all day today. He's going by the door because he knows we give him treats to go out and when he comes back in.

I don't know if he's all of the sudden sick of the Fromms, or what. I have a call into the vet, and waiting for a call back. Anyone else go through this?

Thanks,
Steve

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My English Bulldogs have never refused food-I would worry if they did. Has he possibly eaten something that he shouldn't have? Socks, or toy parts? I am sure your vet will suggest something for you. Is he pooping normally?Yes, I see you said he is. You could try giving him some Pepto Bismol, or a pepcid-perhaps he has a tummy ache. I would take him to the vet if you can today-just to be sure. Hope it is nothing to worry about!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Steve, try feeding him the Bland Diet for a couple days,
it shouldn't upset his tummy.

Boiled chicken or boiled hamburger (drain) & white rice.
You can add green beans since he already eats them.

It could be a bad batch of kibble (unlikely w/Fromm's) but
maybe stale?

Good luck & let us know, welcome to EBN!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what the vet says, but in the meantime I'm going to see if my pet shop has samples of other high quality grain free foods that I can try. IF that doesn't work ,we will try the bland diet. All depending on what the doc says...

Thanks!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello all,

Lord Stanley has refused his food the last two days. He's a 2 year old Male, who has never had issues with food before.

He ate 3/4 cup of Fromms Pork and Peas yesterday morning, but refused all other food all day long. He took treats, green beans, and cheese (for pills) from hand all day. He was acting fine, playing normally, pooping, peeing, regular activity.

Now today he hasn't eaten anything other than some green beans from hand. He keeps going by his bowls (there is food waiting there) and looking, but not eating. Like he's expecting something different to be there.

We thought it might be a smell or something so we re-washed everything and even tried moving it to a different place, but no dice.

And of course, because he's hungry, he's acting up with the leash all day today. He's going by the door because he knows we give him treats to go out and when he comes back in.

I don't know if he's all of the sudden sick of the Fromms, or what. I have a call into the vet, and waiting for a call back. Anyone else go through this?

Thanks,
Steve

You mentioned pills? Is he on medicine right now? Is he drinking water? Pooping normally?

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Yes, he gets two benadryl and probiotics in his 2nd feeding each morning, mixed with some yogurt.

His schedule is complicated.. Shocker, right!

3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas @ 6am
3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas with 1 spoon of plain yogurt, 2 benadryl, 2 probiotic

3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas @ 5pm
3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas @ 6pm with 1 spoon of plain yogurt, 2 benadryl, 1 Desaquin (joint supplement)

He has been pooping and peeing fine, but last night he hardly drank any water (about 1 bowl, and 2 ice cubes). He has not pooped today.

He ate the first feeding of Fromm's yesterday morning, but nothing since. As I said though, he will eat green beans and treats fine.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I always worry if my guys don't want to eat--especially because they are always hungry. It sounds like he feels good though and he's still eating treats. Usually if mine won't eat, they also refuse treats and you can tell they don't feel that great. If I were you, I would go with the bland diet instead of another food (unless you give another flavor of Fromms) because it will probably upset his tummy to suddenly feed a new food. You might try mixing another food with the pork and peas and see if he picks out the new food. If you try another flavor of Fromms I don't think you need to switch gradually. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. I would do that too, after two days of refusing his food.

I just read your last post Steve [MENTION=11525]LordStanley[/MENTION]. I'm wondering why you feed him so much food. Not being critical or anything, but my bully only eats one cup of Orijen twice a day. Just wondering....

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, he gets two benadryl and probiotics in his 2nd feeding each morning, mixed with some yogurt.

3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas with 1 spoon of plain yogurt, 2 benadryl, 2 probiotic

3/4 cup Froom's Pork and Peas @ 5pm
3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas @ 6pm with 1 spoon of plain yogurt, 2 benadryl, 1 Desaquin (joint supplement)

He has been pooping and peeing fine, but last night he hardly drank any water (about 1 bowl, and 2 ice cubes). He has not pooped today.

He ate the first feeding of Fromm's yesterday morning, but nothing since. As I said though, he will eat green beans and treats fine.

Ah, okay. I was thinking if he was on some sort of prescription drug maybe that was causing him to not be hungry. With that said, he's not eating or drinking as much - I would def ask for an xray, is there anyway he could have eaten something like Lynn mentioned. A toy, sock, anything....?

Off topic, and I know the not eating part is very important, but do you give him Benadryl everyday? I personally would only give when he has a bad flare up, because you don't want him getting immune to it, and then it doesn't work if you REALLY need it, in a situation where he's having a reaction that affects his breathing. Plus 4 benadryl a day is alot :( Its only suppose to be 1 mg per lb every 12 hours. I just would hate for him to be over medicated.

Please keep us posted on his vet visit, I am leaning towards a stomach bug (which they would give him famodine & an antibiotic for a few days) or he could be obstructed (if he ate something he shouldn't have) - that would take xrays. Praying for Lord Stanley... hopefully its just a bug!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
The Benadryl are the 25mg pills, and our vet said 1mg/pound every 12 hours.... He had a bad skin infection last month and we've been doing the benadryl ever since. He's 65 pounds, and she said we could even go up to 3 every 12 hours, but we were trying to err on the side of caution by only doing 2.

It's always possible that he got something he shouldn't have, He loves to chew on EVERYTHING..

I tell ya, our vet's office is going to have to name a room after us...... We're going to try bland diet instead of switching foods... I'll update everyone after that, and I talk to the vet.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
The Benadryl are the 25mg pills, and our vet said 1mg/pound every 12 hours.... He had a bad skin infection last month and we've been doing the benadryl ever since. He's 65 pounds, and she said we could even go up to 3 every 12 hours, but we were trying to err on the side of caution by only doing 2.

It's always possible that he got something he shouldn't have, He loves to chew on EVERYTHING..

I tell ya, our vet's office is going to have to name a room after us...... We're going to try bland diet instead of switching foods... I'll update everyone after that, and I talk to the vet.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help!

Hahaha! When my old vet used to take a trip to Hawaii, I used to kid him that I sent him to Hawaii every year!

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Sorry, just saw your question [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION]

Stanley has/had a pretty healthy appetite, and the Fromm's guide shows for dogs his size that the recommendation is 3 - 3 5/8 cups per day.. Ours adds up to 3 cups. We have tried to give him a bit less in some of those to offset treats and green beans, but he's a pretty hungry guy (normally).

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sorry, just saw your question @Donnam

Stanley has/had a pretty healthy appetite, and the Fromm's guide shows for dogs his size that the recommendation is 3 - 3 5/8 cups per day.. Ours adds up to 3 cups. We have tried to give him a bit less in some of those to offset treats and green beans, but he's a pretty hungry guy (normally).

Thanks! I was just wondering. I've always fed Orijen and the amounts must be a lot different from Fromm. Orijen instructions say to feed a 65 lb. dog I cup twice a day. Winnie only weighs 49 lbs, but she's really, really active, so I feed her more. My 80 lb. Aussie mix is on a diet, needing to lose 10 lbs., so I feed him the same as Winnie!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

3/4 cup Fromm's Pork and Peas @ 5pm

that is a lot of food.... at 2 yrs, he should only be getting 2 cups per day --- 1 in AM and 1 in PM. I would try cutting meals to that and see if it makes a differnence.

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
I always felt like it might be too much, but that's what the bag says (probably just to sell more food). We'll try to cut back. Maybe that will help. I have noticed that in the last few weeks/month or so, he's been less excited about eating than he used to be. Maybe he's feeling fuller and just eating because it's there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
(probably just to sell more food).

exactly!

At one year he should have been cut back to 2 cups per day..... good luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online