Mouthing Issues

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Boris tends to either not bite or bite as hard as he can. I've raised several labs and they've always caught on really quick to the whole mouthing concept... Anyone have experience getting an EBD to not bite full force all the time, mainly when he/she is in the "witching hour" mood?

It's probably my fault for playing rough with him since he was a pup, but he wasn't always this bad. It's just been in the last month or so that I've notice an increase in biting and force used.

Thanks,

Matt and Boris

b6kPc7r.jpg

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Bulldogs tend to be a lot stronger than they think, especially when in playing mood... I guess it is advisable not to let any dog bite even during play but... well, it's so fun and cute to play with them:ashamed: When they are puppies it works well to redirect their biting to a toy instead to teach them not to bite humans.

I only have that problem with one of mine, she's almost 8 years old but still super playful:) But she knows when I say "aj" that she bites to hard and she stops biting and kind of sucks my hand instead:happy: So maybe you can make up a code word for Boris when he bites to hard, they are clever, I think he will know if you show him he hurts you:)

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
IMG_0526.JPGCharlie, now at four months, is exactly the same way. The breeder of my last English Lab, showed me a technique which at the time I thought was a bit much, but for teething puppies it really worked on bite inhibition. Simply wrap the puppies chop around one of the canines and squeeze while giving the "no bite" command. Charlie loves chasing feet and those puppy canines hurt. i also rough house with Chuck but there's a line I won't cross but won't hesitate to correct when he mouths to hard. He's funny when he's corrected and will do everything to make nice with us, Ill take that puppy behavior any day.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky will sometimes bite too hard but I can usually tell by the way he looks at me before he is going to bite hard vs play bite. Its usually when he is mad. LOL

I do as Brian stated above and squeeze his lower jaw and say no bite. I am trying to train him not to bite since my nieces and nephews like playing with him and he starts biting as soon as they get him excited.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree on the playing thing, once they start biting it's hard to break them of it. What I dud when Buster would bite is scream really loud and stop play and he caught on. I don't know if there's a way to get them to not bite will full force.

That pic of him is great, he's living the dream! :cool:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would say that the reason for the biting is the roughhousing that you say you did with him. Now he is growing, and so is his "bite strength". He figures if it was okay as a pup,why isn't it okay now? My personal opinion is to retrain him not to bite you at all. A dog should never be allowed to bite his caretaker. Bulldog pups seem to be more mouthy than any others, and should be discouraged-not encouraged. You could try the suggestions above, or tell him "no bite" and stick a nylabone in his mouth to chew,
or give him a treat when he stops the bite.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.