Bringing together a 5 yr. old and an 11 wk. old

Emeryd

Jul 8, 2012
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Knickknack & Paddywhack, Sgt. Jiggs
We added a new puppy to our home 2 weeks ago after losing our beloved Knick Knack unexpectedly. Our Paddywhack missed him so much and was acting very lonely. We brought Paddy with us to pick up the new puppy-Sgt. Jiggs. At first, everything was perfect. She licked him from head to toe and he gave her kisses. Now she has little tolerance for him when he climbs on her or licks/nips at her. She growls at him and gives him a warning snap. Could it be is razor baby teeth are just too painful? She lets Jiggs play with all of her toys which she never did with Knick Knack. Knicky would just let her have whatever she wanted. We have been letting her stay up on the couch so that Jiggs won't bother her. Are we doing the right thing keeping them separated or should we be letting her teach him boundaries? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. image.jpg

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I have no advice, but I want to say that they are gorgeous! (And your puppy's feet are adorably huge!!! :w00t:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think she will get used to him it'll just take time and I think you are doing the right thing. You are spot on too I think, we all know how bad those little shark teeth hurt.

They are absolutely beautiful but her ears drive me crazy I LOVE THOSE!! :heart:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We have gone thru similar
Pups are full of Pee and Vinegar with little learned so far , like pecking order for cuddles say , who goes out the door first ect ect
What you have is the start of a new PACK and the older more established dog is making sure that the new dog understands the pecking order
I would bet the pup is getting a lot of attention from you and your family versus the original dog even a little bit that older dog knows it , The pup will have to learn that order as we as alpha,s to both dogs must know we are the boss in the house .
I always tell My other dogs "that,s a Gentle " instead of the name at the very begining and for a while , I let the older dogs know in no uncertain terms that it is not to be hurt in anyway. Now that said there will be slight aggression from the older dog that is the teaching it is doing , but I make sure that older dog knows I am close ( In View ) and repeat when such things start "that's a Gentle " .
Limit the pup and its want to play with the older dog for a bit those teeth are sharp always be there when they do play and as I said I repeat that it is a Gentle make sure the older dog understands that you love him/her as much as the new one , take advantage when the pup runs out of steam and spend ono on one time with the older dog so he /she knows they are just as special to you the Alpha of the new pack.
I have 5 dogs and it works for Me when i introduce a pup into the pack for Me , hope it helps

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a precious photo... Paddy will come around. it took a full two weeks before Cheli accepted Lambeau after Banks past , now 8 months later, they are two peas in a pod and follow each other every where. we did make sure that they know we are the alpha and trained accordingly, but allowed Cheli to correct Lambeau when he had enough -- we did at times have to intervene to save any harm from occurring to either of them

Members online

No members online now.