punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
can someone give me some advice.. my rescue boy Rocky had the pretties face when i got him although he had a few issues with infections going on.. once i got him and got him all better his tear stains are horrible.. i want his pretty white face back... i thought maybe it was because he was on so much medicine but every thing is good now.. only thing i can think of is they were feeding him dog chow and i switched his food.. dont judge me but i don't care for that food, but that's me,, anyhow,, another reason i switched is one of my dogs have food allergies and to prevent her from getting into the other dogs food i feed all of them the same food.. i have tried everything, wipes, power, cleaning his face all the time, i'm at a loss, i am tempted to put him back on dog chow just to see if it is the food but i really don't want too.. HELP! i want my pretty white face again..

rockyboy.jpg

11845922_10205938965772290_801941298_n.jpg

before and now.. :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What was the name of the former dog food and
what do you have him on now?

What is the protein base of each and what are
differing ingredients?

From the pic, looks like yeast...also, were the
former owners using whitening agents on him?

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have heard beet pulp (common additive in kibble) can cause this.

Has he had a recent Parvo/Distemper vaccine, it can destroy an
enzyme, Lysozyme (keeps eye bacteria in check) so it can be re-
introduced by adding whole raw eggs to food 2-3 x weekly.

Tap water can cause this w/ chemicals, minerals, chlorine, fluoride,
etc. in it (bad for us too) so bottled spring water can clear it up.

No plastic bowls, no grains even in treats, no powders around eyes!

Coconut Oil (very small dab) is antiviral, antibacterial, use in wrinkles
after cleaning with warm water & dried (again, use very little).

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
they were feeding him purina dog chow.. i am feeding him natural balance limited ingredient lamb and rice (because of my other dogs food allergies).. his water is in metal bowl and food bowl also . i am not sure about protein base.. i have used the coconut oil but its hard because he licks it off so much.. he even will lick it off the other dogs.. lol.. hes so sweet..

i was thinking about the water also, im going to try that but it may be hard because i have 4 bulldogs.. i fill their water bowls up constantly and when they have water if i dont like how it looks i dump it and get fresh.. lol.. im a stickler about fresh water.. its just me though.. thanks for advice.. i have a place to start now.. just was running out of options.. when i clean his face it does feel damp alot also.. its why i am constantly wiping. i use warm wash cloth most of time and then dry it after.. i think i could wipe it all day and it would still feel damp..

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
they were feeding him purina dog chow.. i am feeding him natural balance limited ingredient lamb and rice (because of my other dogs food allergies).. his water is in metal bowl and food bowl also . i am not sure about protein base.. i have used the coconut oil but its hard because he licks it off so much.. he even will lick it off the other dogs.. lol.. hes so sweet..

i was thinking about the water also, im going to try that but it may be hard because i have 4 bulldogs.. i fill their water bowls up constantly and when they have water if i dont like how it looks i dump it and get fresh.. lol.. im a stickler about fresh water.. its just me though.. thanks for advice.. i have a place to start now.. just was running out of options.. when i clean his face it does feel damp alot also.. its why i am constantly wiping. i use warm wash cloth most of time and then dry it after.. i think i could wipe it all day and it would still feel damp..

Possibly then an excess of tears, many things can cause this to happen.
Entropian, ingrown lashes, blocked tear ducts to name a few. Has a Vet
checked his eyes?

With so many dogs, I can see the problem with the water, maybe try an
automatic water dispenser?

Your protein base is lamb ;)

After cleaning his face distract him with a bit of kibble while putting on the
coconut oil.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If he was on antibiotics, that kills good as well as bad bacteria. This allows yeast infections to bloom. He probably needs a topical anti fungal antibacterial to clears up his tear stains. Entederm/panalog ointment would work really well for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Please do not go back to Purina. That is a horrible food. What I suggest is try another protein, and something with no rice. Bullies don't do well with grains, and lamb does't always agree. I know that Natural Balance has a fish kibble, maybe try that? If you switch, just make it gradual, not cold turkey so they don't get diarrhea or upset bellies. You can also get him on a probitoic... Please try this first. Also try wiping with some witch hazel which has a natural drying agent in it, and cleans much better.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I dont want to go to that food either..i cringe when i hear people say they feed that to their dogs.. i use the witch hazel also.. im cleaning it a lot so it does not get infected.. it just looks yucky.. i will look into the natural balance and see if its ok for my abbey (food allergy bullie) but if i have to i will buy two different kinds.. one for her and one for him.. ugh.. i use to tell people that my dogs were cheaper then having kids.. but i have changed my mind along time ago.. now i just say that they are better then kids because i can put them in a kennel and its legal.. lol... my dogs never go in one by the way unless they go in on their own.. only on road trips.. .. thanks everyone.. i will figure this out and will get that pretty face back.. i have four bulldogs, he is the only one that has it this bad.. all the others are great... ok, im on a mission again..

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
can someone give me some advice.. my rescue boy Rocky had the pretties face when i got him although he had a few issues with infections going on.. once i got him and got him all better his tear stains are horrible.. i want his pretty white face back... i thought maybe it was because he was on so much medicine but every thing is good now.. only thing i can think of is they were feeding him dog chow and i switched his food.. dont judge me but i don't care for that food, but that's me,, anyhow,, another reason i switched is one of my dogs have food allergies and to prevent her from getting into the other dogs food i feed all of them the same food.. i have tried everything, wipes, power, cleaning his face all the time, i'm at a loss, i am tempted to put him back on dog chow just to see if it is the food but i really don't want too.. HELP! i want my pretty white face again..

View attachment 90424

View attachment 90425

before and now.. :(

Here are some good things to try.....

Tear Stain Causes and Removal Options

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck food hunting, it took us four times before we found the right one. :)

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks juanita.. i will figure this out.. hopefully soon so he can get his pretty face back.. lol

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I dont want to go to that food either..i cringe when i hear people say they feed that to their dogs.. i use the witch hazel also.. im cleaning it a lot so it does not get infected.. it just looks yucky.. i will look into the natural balance and see if its ok for my abbey (food allergy bullie) but if i have to i will buy two different kinds.. one for her and one for him.. ugh.. i use to tell people that my dogs were cheaper then having kids.. but i have changed my mind along time ago.. now i just say that they are better then kids because i can put them in a kennel and its legal.. lol... my dogs never go in one by the way unless they go in on their own.. only on road trips.. .. thanks everyone.. i will figure this out and will get that pretty face back.. i have four bulldogs, he is the only one that has it this bad.. all the others are great... ok, im on a mission again..

I'm not convinced this is a food allergy, Gail (it could be an ingredient).
If it's just eyes....hmmm? Also, the wetness of his face too...are there
other allergy issues? If your other bully is allergic & does well on this food
it'd be a shame if she starts having issues to different food & he doesn't
improve. Have his eyes checked 1st to rule out problems there.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
In the spring I had Henry's face back to beautiful. As soon as the rain stopped and it got hot I've had trouble ever since. I think it's a seasonal allergy in my case. I just keep cleaning and when the weather cools back down I'll see how he does.

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
You have been given some great advice and tips. I hope you get it figured out.
Opie had bad tear stains too and we switched his food (mainly because he wasn't agreeing with the old food) along with going to filtered water and they cleared up within a month and we haven't had the issue since.

This is what we feed Ope:
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Turkey & Potato Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food, 11-lb bag

And here is what we use to clean his folds twice a week which I think helped too:
Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads (30 Count) | Buy Online At Just $9.99

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online