what does everyone else think

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
Seems like i have a lot of people ask me if bulldogs are lazy or laid back dogs, not hyper or rowdy.. well, i own 4 and let me tell you,, i think that it is just a myth... lol.. my dogs have lots of energy for at least the first 2 years.. my gucci will be four in just a few months and she was just starting to settle down until we rescued my 1 year old Rocky,, now its like her energy as returned.. those two will play and play.. i have to make them stop sometimes just because im afraid they are getting to hot.. even though they are in the house with air conditioning..

So, whats everyone think? a myth about bulldog energy?? :rundog:

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I would say that when we got Henry as a pup he had medium puppy energy. He was only a few months old when I got sick and had to stop working. He layed with me for months while I tried to recoup and never regained that puppy energy. It was like he knew that if he moved it hurt me. He stayed like that until we got Clyde, EB/basset hound. Then wow did his energy come back. Clyde is 9 months and the play a huge portion of the day together. I've noticed lately that Henry has started to get tired of constantly wrestling. He's not quite 2 yet. I think that 1 is lazy and 2 or more is crazy!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Very hard to tell here .
We had Tilly as a 8 week old pup she never stopped running around chasing Me or our Siberian Husky or the other dogs for that matter , seemed tho when she hit 3 years old she would chill out under a tree or any sort of mini hiding spot she could find outside , In the house she was pretty sedate even if one of the other dogs initiated play.
Diva came to us as a save and was 5 years old when we got her she was always laid back no bursts of energy at all no mood to play with the other dogs. ( We have 5 , 4 saves ) Now that said she would drive any Human nuts to play with her with her Bowling pin ( small rubber with a rattle ) and or her Knotted pull rope , she would drive you crazy if you did not play with her to the point you had to take it away from her , even now at 10 years old she still will drive you nuts with those toys and God Help the other dog that takes her toys she is not aggressive with them but follows them around even all day till they drop them and she grabs them back ! lol

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
maybe they go through the terrible two stages... i think my gucci is in the trying three stage.. lol.. but at least they have each other to play with..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All my three of our bullies over the years have little periods of energy that last 15-30 mins, but that was it. Banks had more stamina than the others, but she was not overly energetic, she still loved her sleep.

Cheli our Frenchie.... he will go for HOURS before stopping

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie is starting to sleep a little more. She's 13 months and has been a really energetic girl so far. Sunday we had company all day and she stayed up all day (she feels a strong responsibility to be the life of the party). Then Sunday night she crashed. When it's just us here, she will take a couple of naps.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Funny... just posted a thread on the same subject! My bully is hyper too.... she does not stop.

Izzy just turned 3 and the older she gets the stronger she is to engage into cardio activities.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to agree with you, the majority of the bullies I've met are balls of energy and fun they can go 24 hours a day non-stop and the perception that people have that they are laid back and lazy is so far off. I was reading where this lady who has a 15 year old still has quite a time keeping her from zooming around her place! People also have this idea that English bullys are mean and stupid and that couldn't be farther off the mark either.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wellie can go all day, Blue needs his power naps in between play.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Seems like i have a lot of people ask me if bulldogs are lazy or laid back dogs, not hyper or rowdy.. well, i own 4 and let me tell you,, i think that it is just a myth... lol.. my dogs have lots of energy for at least the first 2 years.. my gucci will be four in just a few months and she was just starting to settle down until we rescued my 1 year old Rocky,, now its like her energy as returned.. those two will play and play.. i have to make them stop sometimes just because im afraid they are getting to hot.. even though they are in the house with air conditioning..

So, whats everyone think? a myth about bulldog energy?? :rundog:
I always say, if there is such a thing as a "lazy Bulldog",I got the defective models because my two are CRAZY!!! There isn't anything lazy about them! :faint:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.