Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on getting a 2nd Bully....

Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice on getting a 2nd Bully....

We are first time bully owners. Our baby boy is 13 weeks and we've had him for about 6weeks. The transition has been great and everyone has adjusted well- including him. Well, now that school has just stared back, he - Lockjaw will be home for about about 8hrs a day by himself. I was talking to our breeder yesterday and he let me know he still has one more puppy- his sister- from his litter. I've been playing around with whether to get her or not. I'm thinking that it would be easier (sounds strange) with 2, bc they can keep each other company while we're gone, they have a playmate with one another and we have another beautiful bully. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring another dog in so soon? Even if they are from the same litter. Would it be a lot to take on so soon? Do you think our boy that we got first would be jealous? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-image-jpg

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice on getting a 2nd Bully....

I have never had just one... so you may be asking the wrong group of people if you want to be talked out of it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes Corine Pesantes, TyTysmom liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Haha! I DONT want to be talked out of it! Lol! I want her- just want some reassurance that it's a good idea.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chapo/Cheena/Chevy
    Likes (Received)

We got our first male in about October then introduced a female to the house in January and we just another male last week...... We got our second with the same thoughts you were having, a friend to play with When we went to 2 of them the first male was very happy about it, there was TONS of sniffing going on and it worked out great, the only real problem which wasn't a problem but had us concerned was that the female was constnatly biting at my males cheeks to the point of them turning completely red and at times would draw blood, but we kept an eye on it and gave her plenty of chew toys and when she got too rough would put her in her crate as a timeout. Introducing our third also went smoothly, although I could tell the female would get and still does get completely jealous when you pay attention to the puppy and immediately moves the puppy out of the way to get the belly rubs. They seemed at first to freak out with the new puppy, they were both constantly staring at him with the most evil stares(I assume this was to establish dominance??) but a week later and they are all playing along really well although now the 2 older dogs get annoyed at the teething puppy constantly biting them, he has caught me a few times off guard as well and nearly ripped my ear off lol

IF you want a 2nd and can properly take care of them I say go for it, the laughs had just with both of them doing silly things while playing togehter is completely worth it... Be carefull though because if you get two you will probably get a third lol

6. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Punks joined our family when he was 4 yo, and Stiggy was 1.5 yo. It took a couple of months for them to adapt to each other but it's been the best decision we've ever made. They're not best friends, but they do keep each other entertained (sometimes).
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

8. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

One of my biggest regrets, until we got Wellie, was not getting Blues sister.

So I'm all for having two bulldogs.

10. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

I can't give any advice because i too have never had just one.. so my advice of course is why haven't you got her already??? lol.

12. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

I also have two, which I got within a month of each other. They are 3 months apart in age, and Sophie still has her shark puppy teeth which, @bully602 said, she is constantly latching onto Tucker's lips and ears and often draws blood and wails of pain. They love each other, regardless.

My only observation is that my mother had a Boxer female and male from the same litter, who grew old together. She regretted getting brother/sister because she thought they never grew out of their puppy stage. She said that she felt like they never had to quit being puppies with each other, so they never grew up with an older dog mentality?

I personally would be very tempted to get the sister. I got Sophie because I felt like Tucker wanted a play partner. I am lucky enough to be able to take them to work with me daily. Together they can be a handful, but I am hoping as they age, they will settle down. Since Tucker is somewhat older, he is better behaved. Otherwise at times I feel like I am herding cats!

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

14. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    I also have two, which I got within a month of each other. They are 3 months apart in age, and Sophie still has her shark puppy teeth which, @bully602 said, she is constantly latching onto Tucker's lips and ears and often draws blood and wails of pain. They love each other, regardless.

My only observation is that my mother had a Boxer female and male from the same litter, who grew old together. She regretted getting brother/sister because she thought they never grew out of their puppy stage. She said that she felt like they never had to quit being puppies with each other, so they never grew up with an older dog mentality?

I personally would be very tempted to get the sister. I got Sophie because I felt like Tucker wanted a play partner. I am lucky enough to be able to take them to work with me daily. Together they can be a handful, but I am hoping as they age, they will settle down. Since Tucker is somewhat older, he is better behaved. Otherwise at times I feel like I am herding cats!
    I think boxers are very high energy, so it will seem like they're puppies forever.

Bulldogs, on the other hand, are more laid back. Once they're older, they'll have their puppy moments, but they'll also have their nap marathons too. :snooze:

I love having 2 bulldogs. Vet-wise, it's more expensive, but the sheer joy of it surpasses the cost.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

16. Likes Mom of Tucker, Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maude
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    We are first time bully owners. Our baby boy is 13 weeks and we've had him for about 6weeks. The transition has been great and everyone has adjusted well- including him. Well, now that school has just stared back, he - Lockjaw will be home for about about 8hrs a day by himself. I was talking to our breeder yesterday and he let me know he still has one more puppy- his sister- from his litter. I've been playing around with whether to get her or not. I'm thinking that it would be easier (sounds strange) with 2, bc they can keep each other company while we're gone, they have a playmate with one another and we have another beautiful bully. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring another dog in so soon? Even if they are from the same litter. Would it be a lot to take on so soon? Do you think our boy that we got first would be jealous? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-image-jpg
    Mabe take him to see how he reacts first. He might be happy being an only dog in the house.
    If you can afford the medical expense for two, and don't mind having double matenance, then more power to you.

I have three dogs and I enjoy having them.

18. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Utley and Bella
    Likes (Received)

Utley was just about 2 when we got Bella. Our thought was the same, for then to keep each other company while we are at work. Bella is 18 months and has to be in the crate if we are at work. She gets into everything and anything. Including getting through the baby gate we put up. They do play with each other and sometimes annoy each other, just like siblings. It took Utley some time to adjust however I think that was because they were almost two years apart. And Utley was (and still is) majorly spoiled of Bella is too. I think with then being younger and the same age it would be easier. I have been trying to talk my husband into a third. Best of luck and share pictures if you decide to get her.

20. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

My advice is to go for it! I love having two dogs, I have always, except for a two year span when I only had one, had at least two dogs. They do keep each other great company when we're gone. Lockjaw is still a baby at 13 weeks--I'm sure he'll be thrilled to have a companion. He shouldn't have any trouble adjusting.

I've had lots of boxers, always more than one at a time. Ginger @Mom of Tucker, you should tell your Mom that boxers are perpetual puppies with or without a partner--it's one reason why I love them so!

22. Likes Mom of Tucker, Corine Pesantes liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads