Itchy Paws

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Bella will not stop biting / licking her paws. She listens pretty good if we tell her no. But lately she will just keep on going or go somewhere she thinks we can't see her (stinker). We haven't changed anything as far as food or laundry detergent. Can this be because she is bored?

The only other thing I can think of is two weekends ago we had a camp fire and everyone got bit up. My bites are slowly going away. Could she have bug bites too?

She is already on Benadryl regularly for allergies.
3efdf7795a0958993eb46bb732f2df4f.jpg
6d57a57f1cdc281d39ab58c6f1f85361.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Do they have a smell to them? Could be yeast maybe? I soak Tyson's paws in a warm epsom salt soak when he's licking them alot... helps soothe.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Dealing with same here - could be from outdoors too when they're out in the grass. Also be sure to dry paws very well after baths. The Epsom Salt soaks are highly recommended. I also wipe them with witch hazel. Good luck!

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
And there is no concern if she licks her paws after an Epson salt soak or a wipe down with tithe witch hazel?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
When doing an epsom salt soak, I will rinse the paws with clean water, then dry thoroughly. The witch hazel should evaporate quickly and it has never caused an issue with Frank.

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Thank you all for the advice. I am going to try the witch hazel now since we have that. If that does not work will get some Epson salt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could definitely be bug bites,,,, if Benedryl isn't working try Claritin or just the Epsom salts soaks could relieve the itch too

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We are going through something similar with Monty, itchy feet, very goopy eyes and he has just started shedding like mad.... again. I changed his food to Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast about a week ago after having him on a bland diet for about two weeks. I thought it was maybe his old food that started all this, hence the change. His ears are clean and his tear stains have gone but I don't know quite what to do next. He stays off the grass the majority of the time and goes on the gravel behind the garage to potty. I have him on Claritin. Benedryl didn't seem to do much except make him drowsy. I am wondering if it could just be Houston allergies? Any ideas?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.