New doggie is afraid of EVERYthing :unsure:

Aly and cFrye

Aug 18, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose (Moo, Moosie)
Hi everyone, it's us again with a new question...

We just got Moose this past Tuesday & we're SO glad we took a chance on her! We found out that she's 13 months old, but still don't know a thing about her past living situation except that she was a puppy maker :( ANYway... We've noticed that she's afraid of absolutely everything! So far she's been afraid of:

Paper & mail. After "meeting" it, it was good fun to rip and tear it to bits!
A small box
Plastic shopping bags
A child. But after she cautiously checked him out, she let him pet her on her head.
Strangers, especially the one man she met.
Other dogs barking, even from inside their window.
The kids' scooter as I was taking it to the deck.
A fire hydrant in the dark.
Just about anything new.

She reacts by jumping back, hunkering down, & barking her big bark at it! It's pretty intimidating, especially to other people. Does anybody know why this might be happening & what we can do to help her??

So far we've just gotten on the floor with her & put the scary item in the floor & let her come & sniff it. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. We've taken time with some strangers (people around our apartment complex), that have been willing, to let her sniff & meet them. Let her be pet by them too. Some people are just afraid of her & keep walking. Any ideas & helps are appreciated. She's actually a big smooshy cuddle bug, not mean.

Thanks already :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is very unsure of everything in her new world ... She most likely was not socialized while a baby so to her everything is scary. With people try to have them ignore her till she goes to them and no direct eye contact till she goes to them -- direct eye can be taken as a challenge and you do not want to her going to protection mode.

As for things and inanimate objects well, that can just be a bulldog thing. They are OCD babies and some things are just never accepted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Exactly what @2BullyMama says. She probably spent her puppyhood in a crate, or in a room/shed. She had no normal socialization-so there are many things she is seeing for the first time. They get silly over some things,even if they had a normal puppyhood!!! Just reassure her, but don't make a big deal over things. You are being great parents! [MENTION=14707]Aly and cFrye[/MENTION]

OP
Aly and cFrye

Aly and cFrye

Aug 18, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose (Moo, Moosie)
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks for the input! That's kind of what we were thinking, she's completely unsocialized. The stuff & things will prolly work themselves out, hopefully. It's her reaction to people that's concerning. Ugh.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for taking Moose and giving her a forever home.

Most probably not socialized much if at all and busy having
babies instead of having fun being a dog. My advice, until she
is sure this is HER home and y'all are her PEOPLE, wait to take
her places or meeting strangers / animals, let her settle in and
distress a bit. Moose doesn't know what's expected of her or
from you. As you describe her, I bet she'll settle in soon, once
she does & feels safe, her personality will really shine <3

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
She is very unsure of everything in her new world ... She most likely was not socialized while a baby so to her everything is scary. With people try to have them ignore her till she goes to them and no direct eye contact till she goes to them -- direct eye can be taken as a challenge and you do not want to her going to protection mode.

As for things and inanimate objects well, that can just be a bulldog thing. They are OCD babies and some things are just never accepted

Very well said , our Tilly could be this way with objects only , it will take a ton of patience and very slow introductions to people and items , Think of where Moose came from what she experienced and now it will take time to give Moose new better experiences, Please let us know how Moose is coming along

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I'm sure it is just because all the things she is seeing now are things she's never seen before.. its all new... Bless you for taking her and giving her love like they give us.. :yes:

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Charlie was the same way and is still to a certain extent now at 4 months. We socialized him daily, gradually at first and wouldn't allow him to panic at the sound of barking dogs, the trash truck etc., while always showing confidence/calm in all situations. Now he's an old soul in the neighborhood and local park. "The moose is loose"-good luck IMG_0456.jpg

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Glad you have this little sweet thing now! I don't have any experience with a dog that's never been socialized. Bless you and good luck. Henry was terrified of everything as a pup and we did the same as you, sit on the floor and show him it wasn't gonna hurt him. Some things he excepted, others he still fears but not in a terrified way. Trash bags are the devil, just ask him.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The gang has you covered! Moose is just precious - give that sweet baby some time to get adjusted, and comfortable in his new home - and he'll come around. Just you wait and see! I think he needs extra extra loving & cuddles. Heh. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Manydogs and @2BullyMama thanks for the input! That's kind of what we were thinking, she's completely unsocialized. The stuff & things will prolly work themselves out, hopefully. It's her reaction to people that's concerning. Ugh.

With people, do not force her, let her go to them... it is important that you take her for walks, pet stores, Lowes Home Depot, where ever dogs are allowed and let her just walk and check the place out see people and only interact if she wants to... eventually she will warm up and accept. If anyone approaches to say Hi... ask them to not touch her or reach for her till she has gone to them - explain she is in training and being socialized. Dog people will understand. Bring treats and praise her for good behavior. If she is too overwhelmed just leave, but stay at it and she will be a great social baby in no time.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Give Moose a Hug and Kiss from me and Elmo, I am so Glad that you have this Precious Soul.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.