Aly and cFrye

Aug 18, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose (Moo, Moosie)
G'morning Everyone!

We just got Moose two days ago. So far love & affection have conquered everything negative that the previous owner warned us about, YAY!!! But now we have a question. We noticed a booboo on each of her hind paws. They're in an odd spot, so we're confused. They're not on the walking part, they're on the very back almost like they're rug burns from rolling around on the carpet or couch. How would we treat these and prevent them from happening again?

We don't know much about her previous living conditions, we're assuming they weren't super great. We're also assuming that they got her to have puppies, then didn't need her anymore. She's about a year old, maybe up to 16 months, we guess. Is it possible that she just hasn't built any callouses yet? You know, like she was a baby and kept in a kennel or kitchen & just didn't have a chance to toughen them yet?

The booboos don't seem to bother... YET. We just don't wan them to get that way. I THINK I've attached a photo to explain better.

paw.JPG

Thank you already!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14707]Aly and cFrye[/MENTION] :welcome4: to you and Moose! Those look like some kind of burn,or sores-like from being in a wire crate with no tray. I think if you get some Vetericyn, that would heal them,from what I can see-don't look infected. Vetericyn comes in a spray, or a gel, and it is good to have on hand for injuries and or hot spots. There is also a product called NuStock. Either one would work for you. Best of luck with your new furkid!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I just rescued an old gal that has been neglected a bit too. She has marks like that only they're not in the middle, they're on each side. She also sores between her toes, nearly every toe. Her feet are awful. I've been cleaning them with peroxide or chlorhexidine diluted with water. I have one major sore on the mend but there are several. Good luck and I'm so happy you have her now.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Vetrycin is pretty magical at making sores go away. :welcome: to EBN!

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
Henry had that on his paw once after playing really hard outside on the grass. I think it was from skidding on the lawn with his paws while chasing ball

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: I agree with Lynn, Vectericyn or NuStock to heal them up

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i know a dog that had that and it was caused from being left in a crate to long.. poor dog was in it almost all day.. only to be let out a few times to use potty.. a good couple rescued the dog and got it better.. but it was caused from just sitting all day in crate is what vet told them.. :cry:

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
It does look like cage scarring to me as well. Our Emma has quite a bit of it. She spent most of her life as a breeding dog and also has tattoos on both thighs. Hers don't ooze or seem to hurt her. There isn't any open wounds. Use vetericyn on open or raw wounds and watch for usual signs of infection.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor baby! Yes, the gang has you covered. I would clean it with some warm water & soap - completely dry then apply some Vectericyn or Neosporin. It will probably take a week or so but it will clear up. Bless you for giving her a loving home, being that from here on out she'll be well cared for - you wont' see those sores around anymore!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I have no experience with this kind of wound, but just wanted to say welcome and thank you for giving her a good home!

OP
Aly and cFrye

Aly and cFrye

Aug 18, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose (Moo, Moosie)
Ohmagosh! We figured it out, we think. We think she came to us with the boo-boos. The crate theory sounds good as we have nothing to go on & it makes sense. Pretty sure the previous were backyard-breeders. We also think that they're bleeding from skidding on the carpet! She's very pouncy & playful and keeps trying to invite our other dog (A 4yo Malti-poo named Lego) to play with her. Although it's very cute, Lego wants nothing to do with it. It's only been a few days, but we're sosoSO hoping that she gets over herself soon.
ANYway... Is there a way to keep this from happening? Will she eventually get thicker skin? AND... Thank you for all the feedback and the welcomes!!

BTW... All of Mooses' behavioral problems that the other ppl warned us about (they were bad enough that we almost didn't take her!) were "cured" with some loves & cuddles & attention. We're SO happy we took a chance on her!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Ohmagosh! We figured it out, we think. We think she came to us with the boo-boos. The crate theory sounds good as we have nothing to go on & it makes sense. Pretty sure the previous were backyard-breeders. We also think that they're bleeding from skidding on the carpet! She's very pouncy & playful and keeps trying to invite our other dog (A 4yo Malti-poo named Lego) to play with her. Although it's very cute, Lego wants nothing to do with it. It's only been a few days, but we're sosoSO hoping that she gets over herself soon.
ANYway... Is there a way to keep this from happening? Will she eventually get thicker skin? AND... Thank you for all the feedback and the welcomes!!

BTW... All of Mooses' behavioral problems that the other ppl warned us about (they were bad enough that we almost didn't take her!) were "cured" with some loves & cuddles & attention. We're SO happy we took a chance on her!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!

excellent update

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.