Nylabone not Indestructible?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I thought that Nylabones were indestructible, but Tucker has proved me wrong! He is chewing pieces of plastic off of this orange pretzel. When I bought it, I really didn't think he would have much interest in it because it is so hard! On the contrary - he sits and chews until he falls asleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Nylabone.JPG

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes. Blue would chew right through the plastic as well.
Those edges are sharp and would cut his gums. I haven't used Nylabones forever because of this.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well boo! I just threw it in the trash. We do have a few other Nylabone toys I will need to check. One is a big thick white bone that I don't think he can get into, but I will look, just in case.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I can't buy the ones like that pretzel either. Clyde just uses them as a tasty snack. The big bone ones he can have though. He can't consume those. When they get rough or the shards come off I sand them down. There is o my 1 white one that I have that does that. Also, academy sports and dog.com is where I order most of my toys. They're the cheapest that I e found. I wait til dog.com has 30% off. Academy has things on sale a lot. I love that store!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What I do is dremel the sharp edges off every few weeks and stick them in the dishwasher for a good cleaning. I have a few that are about 5-6 yrs old and they are still going strong. Will post pics tonight, if I remember

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What I do is dremel the sharp edges off every few weeks and stick them in the dishwasher for a good cleaning. I have a few that are about 5-6 yrs old and they are still going strong. Will post pics tonight, if I remember

I don't have accto so to a Drexel and I just threw the pretzel away. This way he won't chew it into shards without me knowing.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Not sure if this is what you are referencing, but small pieces are supposed to come off the nylabone (like about the size of rice). If you read about them, the small little bits are safe to ingest and are not harmful. The sharp edges are another issue though. I don't know anything about the pretzel Nylabone, as that one may be softer so bigger bits come off. Yes, our boy chews his Nylabone when he gets sleepy...it's a comforting thing to him too.

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
My advise would be to be super careful with those. I remember once Jack chew something apart and tried eating it. Luckily I was right next to him and I was able to stop him.

📰 Latest posts

Members online