cherry eye

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
archies eye gland popped out a few days last week i massaged it back in , is it possible that cherry eye can go away or is it once its popped out its only a matter of time before surgery is required ..it hasnt popped out now for 5 days:pray::pray::pray::pray:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My older boy had it popping out when he was a pup. It never got inflamed, always went back in without problems and by he time he was about a year and a half old it stayed in. My younger boy's gland got infected, it didn't stay in anymore and when that happens it's time for surgery. You can tell the difference for sure. When it's infected it does almost look like a ripe cherry. If it's pink and goes in I don't recommend surgery. His other eye popped out an occasion too, but it was enough to just put some lubrication in his eye and keep his head tilted back for a while. Now they're both big boys and no cherry eyes.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
If it stays in it says in. Diesel had one that needed operating on, it wouldn't go back in for love or money ,
After the op the other eye popped. It used to pop out when he was really hot. It took me seconds to massage it back in. It happened 4 times max a year so I didn't bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It depends, every cherry eye is different for every dog. My Blossom developed cherry eye at the age of 5 months, and I was able to massage it in for a short while, but then it wouldn't stay in anymore. We had her eye repaired at 7 months at the same time as we spayed her. A week later her other eye popped out and it wouldn't stay in, and was actually bigger than her first eye. We had a second repair surgery a month later to repair the eye. That was 3 years ago, and we haven't had any problems with her eyes, and they healed beautifully, you wouldn't know she ever had surgery on her eyes. How old is Archie?, if he is still a puppy, you can wait and see if it stays in or continues to pop out and discuss this with his vet.
You can buy over the counter eye drops from the pharmacy like Saline Drops, or a Dry Eye Formula drops to put in his eye to help keep it from getting irritated and to prevent it from drying out.

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy (8 months) had two instances of cherry eye a couple of months ago...both occurred after serious roughing around/play with our other dog. I was able to easily get it back in place. The vet said her eye seemed fine and that it might not ever happen again. Its been fine since then.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.