Why are most dogs afraid of EB pups?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I ran into the neighbor that has the Jack Russell that wants nothing more than to bite Chunky this morning while walking him first thing and it tried biting Chunky again. Chunky was laying beside my foot when the other dog decided to attack. I think that dog is just a jerk or for some reason feels threatened.

Chunky just needs to show him up. :bat:

It's been my experience that Jack Russell Terriers are snippy to begin with. I dog sat for one when I still had Shiner, and Shiner finally had to let him know he wouldn't take anymore of his s**! After that, they played well together.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie is my 4th bully. Frankly, every one of them has been more interested in people than other dogs. I have had other dogs (boxers) with my bulldogs and they play well together in our family. But should any of my bullies see a person walking a dog, they would rather greet the person and don't really care about the dog. I can't even tell you how many times that happened. I remember Rosie was out in the front yard one day and my neighbor across the street was out in her yard with her cat. Rosie immediately ran across to greet my neighbor--the cat was horrified and started hissing and batting at Rosie. It was so funny to see Rosie ducking to avoid being scratched while still trying to get love from the neighbor. That same Rosie (how I still miss that girl!) was out in the front yard when a male bulldog walked by and growled at her. She jumped on him! Let him know that she wouldn't be growled at in her own yard!

When Winnie goes to daycare, she doesn't play with other dogs so much, but mostly she hangs around the attendant. If the attendant sits down in a chair, Winnie tries to get in her lap. If she leaves the room, Winnie waits for her by the door. When we take Winnie to the dog park (practically her favorite thing in the world), she runs up to all the people rather than the dogs.

From my experience with my bully girls, Bulldogs seem to be more people oriented than dog oriented. Not to say they don't love their siblings, they do, but mine have always liked people better than other strange dogs.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
I was told that almost all non-bulldog breeds are afraid of EBD's upon first meeting them due to the EBD's genetic disposition: their gait comes across as if they are ready to rumble, their underbite could resemble a dog baring it's teeth to warn of an attack and the grunt taken as a growl. so many dogs display fear induced aggression and attack bully's or instigate before they get attacked. some bully's will take it and do nothing but my guy would jump at the chance to get into it!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Happens to Dudley ALL the time! I feel so sorry for him sometimes because he's so well natured and all he ever wants to do is play with every dog he see's only to be growled and snapped at by lots of them, especially the smaller breeds.

Angenzl

Jan 12, 2016
Country
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I have had this happen a few times and was becoming concerned about the reaction Stella was getting from other dogs. To me she was lowering herself, not barking, not nipping, using appropriate doggy signals, apart from being a normal pup and being excited and overjoyed at seeing (anything) another dog. We have two other dogs, one of whom Stella is best friends with, been through puppy preschool, taken everywhere and exposed to other dogs on a very regular basis, so I could not work out why this was happening, and wanted to find out what I was missing. After a lot of conversation and observation I have come up with this - it seems Stella's natural stance and characteristics are at odds with her energy and behaviour. Think of an angry/aggressive dog, shoulders up and held, teeth showing, tail still and huffing, what does my sweet Stella look like? That dog. So put that together with the fact that a nose to nose meeting means getting closer than most other dogs and the loud breathing (huffing), I can see why a dog would be confused, therefore giving her the tensed up and warning growl. (which by the way Stella has totally ignores and keeps on wanting to kiss and play, which further confuses dog.) Dogs that are bigger tend to not be as reactive to Stella, medium and small dogs are the most unsure of her, so if I think of Stella from their perspective - teeth out, shoulders big, snorting, no tail motion approaching me and coming in a little to close for a smell, I get it. The other dog we have is not Stella's best friend, a 5 year old yorkie female Arabella. Arabella is not a dogs dog to be honest, but like a few posts has for no reason (it seems to us) just out of nowhere started a defensive exchange with Stella, is this because of the physical? Maybe I am way off, and would really like some input. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything that could turn into a problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have had this happen a few times and was becoming concerned about the reaction Stella was getting from other dogs. To me she was lowering herself, not barking, not nipping, using appropriate doggy signals, apart from being a normal pup and being excited and overjoyed at seeing (anything) another dog. We have two other dogs, one of whom Stella is best friends with, been through puppy preschool, taken everywhere and exposed to other dogs on a very regular basis, so I could not work out why this was happening, and wanted to find out what I was missing. After a lot of conversation and observation I have come up with this - it seems Stella's natural stance and characteristics are at odds with her energy and behaviour. Think of an angry/aggressive dog, shoulders up and held, teeth showing, tail still and huffing, what does my sweet Stella look like? That dog. So put that together with the fact that a nose to nose meeting means getting closer than most other dogs and the loud breathing (huffing), I can see why a dog would be confused, therefore giving her the tensed up and warning growl. (which by the way Stella has totally ignores and keeps on wanting to kiss and play, which further confuses dog.) Dogs that are bigger tend to not be as reactive to Stella, medium and small dogs are the most unsure of her, so if I think of Stella from their perspective - teeth out, shoulders big, snorting, no tail motion approaching me and coming in a little to close for a smell, I get it. The other dog we have is not Stella's best friend, a 5 year old yorkie female Arabella. Arabella is not a dogs dog to be honest, but like a few posts has for no reason (it seems to us) just out of nowhere started a defensive exchange with Stella, is this because of the physical? Maybe I am way off, and would really like some input. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything that could turn into a problem.

It could be the physicall aspects as you mention, but it could also be becasue Stella is getting older and the Yorkie is seeing her as dominance competition. Is the Yorkie somewhat dominate?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.