Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
There are two jack russell terriers and a chocolate lab on my street and they all seem to be afraid of Chunky. The one jack russell tried to bite attack him and he was sitting beside me while i was standing on the sidewalk talking to its owner who was standing in the street. Both were on a leash. The lab is the only one Chunky tried getting to know and it just avoided him after a quick sniff. He is the most laid back dog ever and hasn't acted in a threatening manner so I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this with their bulldogs

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I have the same problem, in fact, many EB owners do.

Maybe it's the way the approach them, face to face first instead of first sniffing the butt. Or maybe it's the loud breathing, or the way they look other dogs in the eye can be seen as a challenge. Who knows.. but it's not uncommon.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
My mother has two boxers and a Boston Terrier, all of which are rescues. They are older and just do not want to play with baby Bulldogs. That was one reason why I got Sophie as a playmate for Tucker. He wanted to play with them so badly, and they would have nothing to do with them. Now Sophie and Tucker have each other to chew on and fight over toys together.

Tucker tug o war.JPGtussle over pear.JPG

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is extremely common, most of what I've read is that other breeds mistake the bulldogs heavy breathing with aggressiveness. What ever it is it's irritating.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
It's common. Annoying, but common. I always try to preface a meeting with "mine are friendly" and then the other dog owner generally will disclose if their dogs don't like Bulldogs.....but there are always the geniuses that don't and their dogs growl....

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I ran into the neighbor that has the Jack Russell that wants nothing more than to bite Chunky this morning while walking him first thing and it tried biting Chunky again. Chunky was laying beside my foot when the other dog decided to attack. I think that dog is just a jerk or for some reason feels threatened.

Chunky just needs to show him up. :bat:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I ran into the neighbor that has the Jack Russell that wants nothing more than to bite Chunky this morning while walking him first thing this morning and tried biting him again. Chunky was laying beside my foot when the other dog decided to attack. I think that dog is just a jerk or for some reason feels threatened.

Chunky just needs to show him up. :bat:

He will.
When mine were younger, they tried to hide behind me when another dog would growl at them.

These days, they no longer take crap. Wellie is my troublemaker and goes after some dogs.
Blue doesn't let his brother go at it alone and attacked a pit bull for Wellie. Actually had his mouth around the Pits neck. Was horrible.

Chunky will out grow the scared stage. I just hope he doesn't become a bully like mine have.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
He will.
When mine were younger, they tried to hide behind me when another dog would growl at them.

These days, they no longer take crap. Wellie is my troublemaker and goes after some dogs.
Blue doesn't let his brother go at it alone and attacked a pit bull for Wellie. Actually had his mouth around the Pits neck. Was horribl

Chunky will out grow the scared stage. I just hope he doesn't become a bully like mine have.

He doesn't act scared. He just acts like he could care less about the other dog. The first time the two dogs met they sniffed each other then the jack russell ran off then came back to bite him. This morning it waited 5 minutes or so while I talked to its owner before lunging at Chunky. The dogs owner like get mad as hell at his dog.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He doesn't act scared. He just acts like he could care less about the other dog. The first time the two dogs met they sniffed each other then the jack russell ran off then came back to try and but him. This morning it waited 5 minutes or so while I talked to its owner before lunging at Chunky. The dogs owner like get mad as hell at his dog.

If he couldn't care less, that's great. Hopefully he'll stay that way.

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Great thread....Charlie is the same way at four months. Ive never owned a bully until now but Ive never had dog that squares up and won't budge his position/stance when it comes to meeting other dogs when they meet face to face. Its really quite impressive to watch. He's really quite the scardy cat but will only put up with so much at puppy kindergarten class before the bully comes out. Its nice to know that he's totally non-committal before he has to be.IMG_0440.JPG

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My mother has two boxers and a Boston Terrier, all of which are rescues. They are older and just do not want to play with baby Bulldogs. That was one reason why I got Sophie as a playmate for Tucker. He wanted to play with them so badly, and they would have nothing to do with them. Now Sophie and Tucker have each other to chew on and fight over toys together. View attachment 90181View attachment 90182

Thanks for the pics, so sweet together & looking GOOD!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great thread....Charlie is the same way at four months. Ive never owned a bully until now but Ive never had dog that squares up and won't budge his position/stance when it comes to meeting other dogs when they meet face to face. Its really quite impressive to watch. He's really quite the scardy cat but will only put up with so much at puppy kindergarten class before the bully comes out. Its nice to know that he's totally non-committal before he has to be.View attachment 90198

Oh, he's so handsome...great face!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Great thread....Charlie is the same way at four months. Ive never owned a bully until now but Ive never had dog that squares up and won't budge his position/stance when it comes to meeting other dogs when they meet face to face. Its really quite impressive to watch. He's really quite the scardy cat but will only put up with so much at puppy kindergarten class before the bully comes out. Its nice to know that he's totally non-committal before he has to be.View attachment 90198

Puppy Kindergarten huh? I am going monday to meet with a trainer and i am starting to wonder after speaking with the trainer who's going to get trained. Chunky or me?
:nervous:

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
[MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION]

No doubt it will be me getting trained. She already told me she can train him to do anything, so thats why Chunky and I go for an interview monday.

Staff online

Members online