Seperation anxiety

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
Does having a second dog a fix for separation anxiety. I think in my case it would . Being alone 8 hours Mon -Fri . My female 1 year old hates for me to leave. Pulls on my clothes with her teeth when i leave. Now she is chewing the walls and biting through the paint and pulling out old wires. What should i do ? I spend time wIth her when i get home and all weekends just about.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I stay at home, but I know many people on here that deal w/the same issues. Do you have her crate trained?!! Or what about crating an area for her to hang out for the day?!! I would say that two dogs would make for company, but it may turn into two dogs destroying your home while you are gone… Have you considered hiring a pet sitter to come by your house during the day to let her out and play w/her for awhile?!!

OP
Rod52

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
She is crate trained. I have the apartment sectioned off . I have dog gates to keep her from certain parts of the apartment. The dog walker is out the question because nobody is home. If that was the case I would do it myself and walk her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
It might help. But I do have 2 dogs. 6 month old and 11 month old. I trust the 11 month old way better because he's not a chewer but the young pup is. So I used a playpen for him and the older one I let him wonder around the house when I'm out. I'm investing on a pet camera too maybe u can view it on your phone and use the audio to speak to her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Getting another dog may not be the answer. I have two and every now and then they get into a scuffle. I would be worried that if they fought when I am not around to break it up would result in disaster and bad injuries. Especially since the resident bulldog is 1yr old and female. Female bulldogs tend to be harder to mix a newbie in. I would not add another female for sure. Many of our members have play yards ( kind of like a kiddie gate that has attachable sections) for indoor use, that their bullies stay in during the day. They have room to play and move around, yet cannot destroy anything. Maybe this is something you can try.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=4646]Rodney[/MENTION]Willis If you have a crate, then I would crate the dog when you are not at home. If she is doing such damage,it not only ruins your house-but could be very dangerous for your dog. Leaving her loose,at this stage, I believe she will only get worse. I have four, and when they were not trustworthy-they were crated. As some got older,then they graduated to being left out of the crate,for short times,while I was out at the barn,or a quick run to town. Little by little they got better. Getting another dog
will keep your dog some company-but I would crate them both. When one dog has a BAD habit,the other dog will join in,so you could not leave them loose anyway!
I had a pen in the house for pups, but when they got heavy enough, they knocked it down-so then the crate was used. As far as I can see,at this point, the safest place for your dog is in a crate.(I always felt guilt,but it is also for the dog's safety.) Once in a great while, I still come home to a little mischief,but most of the time they are good.
They do sleep in their crates at night-just because....!
Many people recommend daycare and dog walkers, which would be wonderful--but there is no such thing here!! So I never had that luxury,and probably couldn't afford it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She is crate trained. I have the apartment sectioned off . I have dog gates to keep her from certain parts of the apartment. The dog walker is out the question because nobody is home. If that was the case I would do it myself and walk her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You say she IS crate trained--then how is she doing this damage?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sectioning off parts of the home is not the answer for her,, then actually crate her so she can not damage anything or hurt herself. We leave a TV or radio on so they think they are not alone... give that a try

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online