Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I ll be interested to hear what you do :
I have always got my dogs vaccinated, but speaking to 2 of my Breader friends I was shocked to find they both get the first injections then the yearly injections then they feel the dogs immune system does the rest. They feel it's a con and they get no further injections.....
They both look after there bullys very well, and show there dogs in shows.
Do you agree or do you immunise yearly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ah, my dear Jimmy, a sticky subject indeed for some, but not for me.
I used to do as you are doing, like clockwork, multiple animals as I
took in the unwanted, the homeless strays, etc.

THEN I got sick with autoimmune disease, like measles, they multiply.
Had to do research as I slowly learned the Dr's didn't know anything
and weren't helping me, in fact, got sicker!

What I learned changed how I thought and now, I do as your breeder
friends are doing because it's proven, ourselves & our animals are being
over vaccinated and that's very dangerous. Just as in humans, autoimmune
diseases are ever more dx'ed in animals and a big cause (I believe) is too
many vacs, given too often and many not needed.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Think of it this way, if we as humans only get vaccinated once for any type of any God forsaken disease, why do our animals need multiple shots for the same disease. Just me, I am with your friend, I say it is for the business not for the health of the animal

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Same here shots from puppy through the first year, then if we need to spend the night at the vet or get any type of procedure done we do a titers test.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm starting to wonder about this myself… seems like SO many things are becoming overused. Vacinnes and NOW the issues w/the flea & tick meds… it's really scary.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola gets titered for the distemper and parvo, however there doesn't exist a titer for the rabies immunity. Lola had a reaction to her last rabies booster that left us almost devastated. Now I refuse rabies vaccine boosters but my vet is pretty pushy (it's also required by law). I am avoiding the vet, because I do not want to have to get bossy. There is like zero chance my scared-as-**** bulldog will ever approach a rabid raccoon. I can barely keep her outside in my backyard long enough to poop.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Who told you there wasn't a titer test for rabies? When we took our dog back to the UK she had to have a rabies titer test before she went. If she didn't have it she would have gone into quarantine for 6 months. There was only one place to get it at that time (2004) and that was Kansas State University. The vet took the blood sample and we sent it off. FAVN Test | KSU Rabies Lab | Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory | KSVDL | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have not made a decision about vaccination boosters yet. I still have time to decide as they are not due yet, BUT I have made the decision not to put them on any type of heart worm or flea and tick meds. Brutus had a bad reaction to the heart worm med Sentinel. He was lethargic and acting confused for 3 days after the first time I gave them. This year I decided to research natural solutions. I came up with a natural solution of 4 drops of lavendar essential oil, 4 drops of tea tree oil, and 1 cup of distilled water. I spray the boys down every morning and again spritz them at 4:30pm when I get home. It works like a charm. I tested this myself. We are big boaters and are constantly over at Fire Island where the mosquito population is greater than the human, I sprayed myself and my husband and not one single mosquito bite. I may also add that I ordered the lavendar and tea tree oil form Amazon for under $20. My vet wanted to charge me $120 for six advantage II pills. I am taking back the care of my boys!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I would love to be able to not give my pets all these shots and treatments. I would be too scared not to give my dogs heartworm treatment though, just too risky in this part of the country. if I lived in the north, it would be a different story.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Last year they both got their 3 year shots so I don't need to think about DHPP or Rabies for another 2 years.

I'm also too nervous not to do heartworm meds. and I do them year round even though we're in the north east since we generally make it down to Florida at least once a year.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Why is heartworm such a problem in the states ? [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. @1Chumley.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Why is heartworm such a problem in the states ? @nycbullymama. @1Chumley.

We have a ton of mosquitoes here in New York city, upstate NY and Florida because it's so wet and hot. Mosquitoes thrive in this weather.
And since one bite of an infected mosquito will cause heart worm, I don't wanna chance it.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Why is heartworm such a problem in the states ? [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. @1Chumley.

As [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] said, it's all these rotten mosquitoes, specifically, infected ones. In some parts of the country they are a lot worse than in others, usually hotter, wetter, more humid parts. 2015 HEARTWORM DISEASE FORECAST: HIGHER THAN NORMAL RISK FOR SOME PARTS OF THE COUNTRY | Pets & Parasites: The Pet Owner's Parasite Resource

Heartworms are nasty, nasty things. Google them and thank your lucky stars that they are not in the UK or I should say it is very rare.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
English Bulldogs are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE CREATURES. Just one vaccination too many can break down their already weakened immune system and awaken dormant diseases ranging from mild to life threatening. Don't let vets medically treat your bully the way they would other breeds.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
In order for a mosquito to transmit heartworm, it has to be above 70°F for two weeks consecutive day and night. This rarely happens in the Northeast.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.