Macon is home

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We picked Macon up today! Yeah!! She was very sweet and lazy in the car on the ride. Not so docile when we got home around the boys though. I think they'll all be fine in a couple days. Here's my problem... (Why does there always have to be a problem..) She's in terrible shape. She has cysts between almost every toe, some are bleeding. Her nails were so long they were making the cysts split. Her ears are yeasty and her eyes are goopy. She smelled like she hadn't had a bath in months. I'm disturbed at how bad she is. I think I should call the rescue. Hubby says I should watch how I come across and not sound like a B. I think it's appropriate to come across like a B. as she shouldn't be in the shape she's in. Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 163

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, what a sweet looking girl :)

Roseann, I'm surprised that the rescue would release her in this shape. I know there will be ongoing health issues that a foster parent will need to tend to while in her/his care, but i would think that the rescue would've trimmed her nails and given her a bath at the very least (?) I would call the Rescue too, mainly to get information from them, not to come on strong or in an attacking sort of way, but to find out what happened.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
when a dogs nails are long it can be painful.. i agree, why would they not at least trim her nails and bath her??? i would be on the phone but when i see a dog that should have simple things like a bath it is uncalled for in my opinion and as i get older my mouth gets a little out of control so i would probably be that b if i called..

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Welcome home, sweet girl! I cannot believe they didn't clean her up for you. What kind of craziness is that?? I'd call!

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's very strange. The lady who I met was bothered at her nails but I don't think she saw how the rest of her looked. She mentioned that her nails were terrible long and she wished she would have brought her clippers. She picked her up from the foster mom early this morning and I don't think the knew what kind of shape she was in. I hate to be complaining but she is just awful looking. Also, it's a little concerning that she said I'm her 4th home. She is pretty snippy with my guys and I'm thinking that may have been why. I happen to have 3 super sweet dogs so I think they'll just leave her alone but my daughter walked by her and nearly got bitten. She's afraid of her at this point but it's only day 1. I tried to move her earlier and she snapped at me too. I really hope this wasn't a mistake.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It's very strange. The lady who I met was bothered at her nails but I don't think she saw how the rest of her looked. She mentioned that her nails were terrible long and she wished she would have brought her clippers. She picked her up from the foster mom early this morning and I don't think the knew what kind of shape she was in. I hate to be complaining but she is just awful looking. Also, it's a little concerning that she said I'm her 4th home. She is pretty snippy with my guys and I'm thinking that may have been why. I happen to have 3 super sweet dogs so I think they'll just leave her alone but my daughter walked by her and nearly got bitten. She's afraid of her at this point but it's only day 1. I tried to move her earlier and she snapped at me too. I really hope this wasn't a mistake.

Aww sweetie. I'm so sorry. I know this is scary, but I think she needs some time to settle. I totally understand your concerns! **HUGS**

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, the evening went much better. Everyone went out to pee together and came in without a problem. The evening was mostly good with barely any issue. She is a sweet girl. She let me give her a bath and trim her nails. I was a little nervous about her nails because her feet are so bad but she didn't even flinch. One dew claw has a pussy sore where it was so long it was digging in and I was sure she would get upset but she never moved. Her gums are very swollen. I'm gonna start brushing her teeth tomorrow. I'm not sure she shouldn't have those bottom teeth pulled. The are in bad shape. I think she will be just fine with us. I'm certain that she needs my lovin.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Poor little girl likely doesn't feel good with all the things going on with her, and with a new home and all, it just sounds like she needs a bit of time to adjust and to feel safe in her new home. [MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION], you're doing such a beautiful job from the sound of it. I'm glad things went a little more smoothly and I'm rooting for her and for you!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Roseanne, God Bless You for Loving and taking care of this Precious Girl, I will Pray for both of you. Love You, Susan and Elmo

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Sending happy and hopeful thoughts to you all!
I'm surprised you weren't informed of the cysts, ears, and eyes... What if you didn't know how to handle this??

I don't get it, but she's with you now and they made a good decision on that one!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome home Macon! So happy she is safe and going to get lots of love and care

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to get Macon to the vet soon. Shooting for Wednesday if they have an opening. I just found another raw spot on her. It's on her belly next to her girly parts. It's where she has a loose skin fold. It's about as big as my fist. It's actually 2 spots side by side where they rub together. I got some cholrhexidide but I'm not sure if I dilute it or what exactly so until I read up I don't want to use it. I cleaned her with peroxide yesterday and today. Her paws are really sore so it's kind of hard to do. The belly spot she let me do easy though. I didn't realize she was dragging her girly parts in the dirt when she pees so when I was cleaning her up I found the other spot. Every place I get close to I find some other neglected thing on her. She's old and sore and I don't want to just wrestle her around like I do the others but I think I'm going to have to. I may be able to get all her bad spots under control but I'm not sure. I have a couple things going on mon and tues so wed is the soonest I am able to take her in. I never would have thought it would be so urgent that I needed to bring her in. She was seen on Friday by the rescues vet to get her microchip implanted. I think it's safe to say they didn't look her over. I did email the rescue lady I've been in contact with. She thanked me for letting her know what I had concerns about. She was very nice about everything and it made me feel so much better about letting her know. My only concern now is getting her sores better and getting her to feeling better.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bless you for taking her in. So happy she's found a loving home that will give her all the love, care & attention she needs. I'm sure that here little wounds/sores will clear up soon... and she'll feel so much better. Sweet girl.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Honestly, I would never have been able to adopt her without all of you. Most of the knowledge I have is because of everyone here. My desire to adopt a senior has been there for years but there is no way I could have been prepared for her without searching old threads and posts and everyone's help. I know it sounds silly but you all have made me feel like I have support and help for anything that could come up. You all helped me with confidence and how to talk to the rescue and to have hope that there would be a perfect match for us. I just want to thank everyone for all the past and future support. I have much respect for so many of you. Thank you all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Honestly, I would never have been able to adopt her without all of you. Most of the knowledge I have is because of everyone here. My desire to adopt a senior has been there for years but there is no way I could have been prepared for her without searching old threads and posts and everyone's help. I know it sounds silly but you all have made me feel like I have support and help for anything that could come up. You all helped me with confidence and how to talk to the rescue and to have hope that there would be a perfect match for us. I just want to thank everyone for all the past and future support. I have much respect for so many of you. Thank you all.

:grouphug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.