It's always something! Regina has big bumps on her side....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She has even more hives now that it's morning. Yet still the same spunky puppy. The regular vet has me giving her more Benadryl and watching her because she doesn't want to have to give her a steroid shot because she's still a baby. Benadryl still isn't helping so we'll probably head in to see the vet soon. If they were stable or getting better, I would just watch her, but it worries me that they're still appearing.

As long as her breathing is not labored and all else is good... The Benadryl just stops the itch.. It could take a day or two for the hives to go away

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Happy to report that she's looking much much better! A few hives left, but not the lumpy mess she was the last few days!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Happy to report that she's looking much much better! A few hives left, but not the lumpy mess she was the last few days!

I'm relieved for you! Sometimes, it really does seem like there is one thing after another. This is the first time in a while that I'm not dealing with vomiting, hot spots, tail pocket infection, allergies, limping, etc. Things are quiet right now. Shhhhhh.... :)

**Hugs to little Regina**

MRP90

Jul 26, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maude
Maude my six month old, just went through having hives.
The Vet gave her an antihistamine shot, and it cleared up very fast.
I think she was stung by a bee because she is always shoving her face into places where it dose not belong.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
As long as her breathing is not labored and all else is good... The Benadryl just stops the itch.. It could take a day or two for the hives to go away
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said exactly what I was going to....both of my boys have had this even with horribly swollen face, but it went away with no problems. As long as her breathing is fine you can stop worrying.

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said exactly what I was going to....both of my boys have had this even with horribly swollen face, but it went away with no problems. As long as her breathing is fine you can stop worrying.

I just went through this too. So you are saying that even if our bullies look awful and the look of them triggers the scary feeling that they are not ok, as long as they have the right Benadryl and are breathing normal we can ride it out?...based on your experience? I hope that doesn't sound cold. I don't mean it to, but it reads that way to me. Just in case..... I just had to ask your opinion as Bentley is my first bully and I freak out easily with him!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I just went through this too. So you are saying that even if our bullies look awful and the look of them triggers the scary feeling that they are not ok, as long as they have the right Benadryl and are breathing normal we can ride it out?...based on your experience? I hope that doesn't sound cold. I don't mean it to, but it reads that way to me. Just in case..... I just had to ask your opinion as Bentley is my first bully and I freak out easily with him!

Yeah, I totally overreacted because she's a puppy. After talking to the daytime vet on the phone we have her Benadryl and waited it out. I worry with bullies because they're kind of like tanks and they don't always let us know when something is wrong. Sometimes it also looks worse than it is. For example when Ruckus was little he had puppy warts in his mouth. You just have to wait those out, there is no medication to treat it because it's viral. I rushed him to the vet and wasted $$ on a visit when the warts didn't seem to bother him and eventually went away on their own.

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Yeah, I totally overreacted because she's a puppy. After talking to the daytime vet on the phone we have her Benadryl and waited it out. I worry with bullies because they're kind of like tanks and they don't always let us know when something is wrong. Sometimes it also looks worse than it is. For example when Ruckus was little he had puppy warts in his mouth. You just have to wait those out, there is no medication to treat it because it's viral. I rushed him to the vet and wasted $$ on a visit when the warts didn't seem to bother him and eventually went away on their own.

I love this site and all of you! I feel like the more you experience with the bullies the easier it gets?! Haha... maybe not "easier" but live and learn ;) It's like raising little squishy hairy children!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love this site and all of you! I feel like the more you experience with the bullies the easier it gets?! Haha... maybe not "easier" but live and learn ;) It's like raising little squishy hairy children!

Exactly, and just like with skin-kids... the first is at the doctor for everything, then second, eh, not so much :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Based on my experience, hives without breathing problems solves it self out, usually even without medication. I see no point in freaking out if I know what is going on and know that it will be ok in a few days. Most times freaking out doesn't help and most times it is for nothing. Don't get me wrong....I freak out even though I sometimes know I should not....but not cause of hives.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm really happy to hear that she is getting better, I freak out too and the first sign of anything abnormal...

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Based on my experience, hives without breathing problems solves it self out, usually even without medication. I see no point in freaking out if I know what is going on and know that it will be ok in a few days. Most times freaking out doesn't help and most times it is for nothing. Don't get me wrong....I freak out even though I sometimes know I should not....but not cause of hives.

It's more reassuring knowing that other owners have dealt with them with out freaking out in case they ever happen again. The first time Bentley got them last week, he just looked terrible but happy go lucky as normal.

Most Reactions