Really Really Random Question- puppy thoughts.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I absolutely love having two bulldogs! While Ruckus has always loved other dogs (at times perhaps too much, he demands to be best friends and doesn't give up) and has done well with his bffs coming over for play dates and when I've done some tied dog sitting for those dogs, I was a bit worried that he would get a little jealous or that maybe the two dogs wouldn't like one another. There were a couple moments of jealousy over the first few days, but I made sure Ruckus always got a toy or a treat if she did and that cleared right up. Also, while he did seem a little jealous only a few times, he also seemed to like being around Regina from the start -- he would nap on the floor of she was on the couch and he let her share his bed with him.

Ruckus and Regina have really taken to one another better than I ever could have hoped. They play together, nap together, and follow one another around a lot. Ruckus has come to enjoy his "mommy walks" (I take him on a solo walk each day so he gets a longer walk because Regina is still too small to totally keep up, so he slows down for her and we can't go as far and just to bond with him), but for the first few weeks he refused to walk without us bringing Regina....so I carried her in an old messenger bag.

A few things to consider are: Does Bentley like other dogs in his house? How active is Bentley? (Ruckus is more active than any other bully I know and he has immensely enjoyed a 24/7 playmate.) How tolerant is Bentley? (Bulldog puppies are like sharks and Regina will hang on Ruckus's face. She so pounces on his head when she wants him to play, but he's sleeping. I have to correct the behavior because Ruckus just takes it or runs to the couch, but doesn't correct her or get mad)

I do agree that you'll need to be home a lot. It's easier to leave them alone for short periods of time because they have the older dog and won't feel lonely, but puppies eat 3xs per day and need excessive amounts of potty breaks. They also need tons of playtime and cuddles, so it's fun to be home a lot when they're babies.

Aside from the puppy factor, having a second dog isn't that much harder than one. It's double the food and vet costs. Oh and you won't be able to walk down the block without getting stopped ten times so people can pet your dogs. I'm totally team "get a second dog"!

Ah, one last note, Bulldogs play hard. Be ready for some rough and tumble zoomie sessions!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439928819.753026.jpg

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Also, regarding age difference -- Ruckus is just 2.5 this month. I think it depends on the dog though

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION]

Thanks Jackie! Ok what do you think....

I want to say Bentley likes other dogs in his house. He is happy go lucky and laid back. I can't remember a time where we have had a doggie visitor inside but we have a Black Lab next door and a Irish Setter a cross the street who will come into our front yard and run around with Bentley. (We live in a very quite side suburb of a little county town) Bentley is four. Since he is my first bully, and I assumed that since he is an adult he would be pretty lazy. He's not. He's never freaked out and zoomed around the house, but we play tug of war and fetch all throughout the day. Our living room, kitchen and dining room are all connected and if I throw his toys in that area of our home he will take off for the. Outside, in the backyard is a different story, I can't catch him. Kept away might be fun for him. Me, not so much. We also walk two or three of our little streets every night after dinner. He loves walks!

Again, I want to say tolerant wise, he is pretty chill. He used to pounce at our two cats. But it would be a butt in the air jump, and if the cats took off running he would just stand in watch. He never acted aggressive toward them. I think he wanted to play.

I'm 27. I grew up with a Golden Retriever and two German Shepard's from early elementary school to college. My mom is a fabulous dog mom and very responsible. I know that when we welcome a new puppy into our home I will be ready to care for the baby like you talk about, based on my own childhood experiences.

I love Bentley, I am not looking to replace him. When I talked about our childhood dogs, (Golden- Casey, Shepard's Colby, and Izzy) and we became a two dog family, whether it was Casey and Colby or Colby and Izzy. life felt full & and when we had to say good by to one of them in their old age crying with the other dog at home did make it easier. Obviously that is not my reason for dog number two, but I do think of that.

What I'm expecting to do is find a local family breeder. The dogs would have to be family members to their breeder humans, and clearly well loved. I would also hope to create a friendship with them. I love this site, but it would be awesome to have support close to home as I am still new to the bulldogs. With that being said I started this thread to ask everyone their thoughts, and experiences, whether Bentley was still a good age for a sibling. But also because while I was looking for a bully, before finding out about Bentley, it seems like there wasn't a decent bully litter out there that did not have a wait list. I was wondering about that...

Also, since Bentley is my first priority if I found a bully breeder to work with I would hope that they might let Bentley met the other dogs or a potential pup in a safe environment to see if Bentley has a positive response to the other bully. If I don't hear about any local breeder from EBN. ( I know that we can't just come out at advertise) I will start contacting families close by for meetings, in case it is a long process. From my first look, I'm assuming it will be.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online