Really Really Random Question- puppy thoughts.

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi friends. My title starts off my question. Basically my rotten husband had to go and buy himself a "toy" car. ;) It's all good, I'm teasing him. He works way to many hours at work of required overtime. He had one day off all of July! Man, If anyone else works like that around here I feel for you. Anyway..... Jacob, told me that I could get another bulldog! Again, joke, deal breaker, we don't play each other with, "you get, I get." It's been a topic for a long time. He knows how attached I am to my Bentley and that there will be more bullies in the future.

So we have had Bentley for a year, and the talk of owning two has always been a conversation if everything went well with Bentley in our home. So I don't think last year was a good time. Now I'm almost back to school. I want to wait until next spring or summer, again, if all goes well. So my questions are,

Is there a way to know if Bentley will accept another bully. He likes playing with other dogs on the street.
Bentley is four, is that to much of a age difference?
How soon do I have to plan for another fur family member?
I know we cannot advertise breeders, but can anyone recommend how I get in touch with someone?

Assuming all goes well, I physically plan our home for a bully baby later, So I'm not worried about those questions. Bentley is my number one priority. I don't want to change his life with another bulldog if it will hurt him. I'm just curious hearing about your perspective and experiences.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hi friends. My title starts off my question. Basically my rotten husband had to go and buy himself a "toy" car. ;) It's all good, I'm teasing him. He works way to many hours at work of required overtime. He had one day off all of July! Man, If anyone else works like that around here I feel for you. Anyway..... Jacob, told me that I could get another bulldog! Again, joke, deal breaker, we don't play each other with, "you get, I get." It's been a topic for a long time. He knows how attached I am to my Bentley and that there will be more bullies in the future.

So we have had Bentley for a year, and the talk of owning two has always been a conversation if everything went well with Bentley in our home. So I don't think last year was a good time. Now I'm almost back to school. I want to wait until next spring or summer, again, if all goes well. So my questions are,

Is there a way to know if Bentley will accept another bully. He likes playing with other dogs on the street.
Bentley is four, is that to much of a age difference?
How soon do I have to plan for another fur family member?
I know we cannot advertise breeders, but can anyone recommend how I get in touch with someone?

Assuming all goes well, I physically plan our home for a bully baby later, So I'm not worried about those questions. Bentley is my number one priority. I don't want to change his life with another bulldog if it will hurt him. I'm just curious hearing about your perspective and experiences.

tagging [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] , she just brought in another puppy and his boy, Ruckus totally accepted the baby sister with no issues. Hopefully she'll chime in with her experiences.

For breeders, the names are not allowed to be published but I believe they can PM you.

Good Luck.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We adopted our Elsa a month before our Buster turned three and I can honestly say that it's as if they've lived together all of their lives. Elsa is completely blind and that might have something to do with it but other then that they sleep together, eat together, play together and everything else without any problems. Adopting a bulldog is a supper rewarding experience too and I totally recommend it to everyone who has a chance to get another bully. My advice is, if you can afford it and you feel the timing is right, just do it. :)

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
We adopted our Elsa a month before our Buster turned three and I can honestly say that it's as if they've lived together all of their lives. Elsa is completely blind and that might have something to do with it but other then that they sleep together, eat together, play together and everything else without any problems. Adopting a bulldog is a supper rewarding experience too and I totally recommend it to everyone who has a chance to get another bully. My advice is, if you can afford it and you feel the timing is right, just do it. :)

AMEN to this!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would suggest having a friend with a dog come over to your house. A dog may be friendly and accepting of another dog on the street or common area, but it could be an entirely different story in Bentley's home. Start introductions with a walk outside and then move to the yard and finally into the home. If Bentley has no reaction to this, you should be good to go. Good luck.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION], should I just say, All breeders "Hey, I'm from Michigan, message me"

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley

Yep! I need to figure out Bentley's allergies. Also, I read a long time a go a forum on Pet Insurance for our babies. I can't remember who said it, but I like the idea of Bentley having his own saving account. I'm working on creating an emergency base for all and any of his needs. Plus the possibilities of the new guy needed anything. I feel like that would be the responsible thing to do, peace of mind. I would like to wait for summer break next year, so I can be home everyday to train and care for the dogs. I plan ahead, I'm a weird list person! ;) I know asking you guys would help adding to my list. Thanks!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Totally! Bentley was adopted. I looked at Detroit English Bulldog Rescue. I think that would be the closest option for us. Everyone I read about needed special attention or family environment. I always read no cats or small children when I checked it out. We have two cats, and I hope kids are in our future. I didn't think I would be a good fit for the rescues. I could call and ask.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION], I haven't been to their site in a long time. I have our home working of of Dave Ramsey's plan. My goal after debt was to sponsor their program, assuming I wasn't a good fit. Do you know anything about the rescues?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom, I haven't been to their site in a long time. I have our home working of of Dave Ramsey's plan. My goal after debt was to sponsor their program, assuming I wasn't a good fit. Do you know anything about the rescues?

Yes, its true that many rescues tend to have health needs, etc. But from time to time you will find a younger or even close in age that does not. Mostly owner surrenders, etc. The only thing is that you have to constantly watch for updates. You could also submit an app, but tell them what you are looking for. It does take time for reviews, home inspections, etc but I know you said you were planning ahead. Just a thought, that's all. Also, even if you get a pup from a breeder, there is not guarantee they won't have any health issues either, even if the "claim" they won't. Ya know? Look at sweet Bentley, you lucked out with that stud muffin ;)

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Right, I knew that when I was trying to find one before Bentley. Health issues are always a concern. I'll go ahead and give the Detroit rescue a call. I would like to explore a breeder option too. I don't want to be selfish but I would love to experience a puppy once. You are right that the recuses change frequently and they have a variety in age.

Nice to hear from you today!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
@TyTysmom Right, I knew that when I was trying to find one before Bentley. Health issues are always a concern. I'll go ahead and give the Detroit rescue a call. I would like to explore a breeder option too. I don't want to be selfish but I would love to experience a puppy once. You are right that the recuses change frequently and they have a variety in age.

Nice to hear from you today!

Good luck with your search! :)

(By the way, it's not selfish to want a puppy.)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It would be rewarding and great to do a rescue, but from all you explain and the timing be what you want.... a puppy or a young (under 2 re-home situation) might be best for you and your life style. Regardless of age, a new puppy will be easiest to introduce to Bentley as most dogs just accept a baby, be best to go with a female as opposite genders tend to get along better (not all but higher percentage).

When Banks' past, we wanted to rescue, but when we sat and talked about it and knowing Chelios' (our Frenchie) personality along with our schedules and life style, the timing was just not right for a rescue. We did a foster for 2 weeks and Cheli wanted to eat her, Banks seemed less interested, but would stare Mia down from a distance (never in the same room or on same floor together). We also took Cheli to a few dog walk events and he did not do well at all, so with all that in mind, we knew in the best interest of the pups getting along ... it had to be a baby.

I someday want to have 3 or 4 rescues, but it will have to wait till I am home more -- right now, just does not fit the schedule

best of luck with your decision!

As for breeders.... look on the Bulldog Club of America site or AKC and then do TONS of research

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Been dying to reply to this! I've just had a crazy day at work and my typing gets getting interrupted. Geeee it's like I'm supposed to do my job....haha. Will respond soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online