Penny's depressed :(

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Hello EBN! I was wondering if anyone else had a bully that gets depressed/mopie when you can't spend as much time with them as you used to? My schedule recently changed, I was working 8 days in a row, with 6 days off, now I have a "normal" 8 hour day job. My poor little Penny girl gives me the biggest sad eyes every morning when I go to work, steps all over my toes trying to get close to me when I'm walking around the house and just wants to be with me 24/7. We have 2 other bullies to keep her busy, my husband owns his own business and takes her with him a few times a week, but I guess there's nothing like mommy snuggles!
How do your babies do with work schedules and/or busy times in life? Do they get mopie and sad, or just sleep to deal with the pain? Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Brandi, we usually have someone home during the day, so I don't have a lot of experience with leaving them alone for too long, but when we do go out and can't take them with us, we will leave the tv or radio on for them, and they usually just sleep while we are gone. They also have each other for company, which is the case for you, so she should be okay for the few occasions you are gone. Try leaving the TV or some music on, and leave her her favourite toys, or if she doesn't chew on things, maybe a t-shirt or sweatshirt with your scent on it may help.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor 'lil love, bulldogs so hate change of any kind but she will get
used to it and might come to love your new schedule ;) So great
Penny has your Hubby around & her siblings there. Not sure you
can leave a T-Shirt (unless in her crate) only if NONE of them will
chew on it or eat it. Keep in mind, they sure know how to work us,
give her time to adjust & do not feel guilty, Momma got's to work
to pay for treats, food, toys, Vets & a Home...You Go, GF ;)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Awww, it's good to hear from you again. I was wondering how your lovely trio is doing. :D

Right now, Bella goes to daycare when I'm at work. Whenever I leave her (for fun, not work), she gets crated. That alone makes her give me the sad eyes, but she eventually goes to sleep anyway, so I don't let it bother me. lol

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I go to work my Buster has this thing he does every morning to lay the guilt, he'll curl up in his bed and not even look at me when I try to say good bye. I've never had a dog do this before and it really gets to me sometimes so yes I understand what you're going through. I agree with Carol she'll get better over time.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have three kids ages 22,18, and 15 so there is always someone around. Even during the school year because the 18yr old is in college and she is in and out with classes. Funny thing though, we were just away for 10 days. I had someone come live at the house so their routine would not be disrupted, and they loved her and had a great time. We got home and both of the boys kinda gave us the sad sack faces and a cold shoulder for a bit just to let us know they weren't entirely please with us leaving.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
bulldogs have a special way of laying the guilt on. That is normal. They are like little kids looking for attention all the time. It is all good.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
bulldogs have a special way of laying the guilt on. That is normal. They are like little kids looking for attention all the time. It is all good.

No doubt! I picked up Bella from daycare the other day (when they did her xyrays) and she got in the car and turned her back to me. LOL! I couldn't believe it. She's a little human in a dog's body, I'm convinced of it!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella turning her back on me. Lol

image.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How sweet, but sad .... poor girl!

We actually have a dog sitter come in mid-day and take the boy for potty and a 30 min play session, it really helps them and us

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy's stays alone from 7:15am (when I leave to come to work) until 630pm. I usually come home during my lunch break to take her potty and let her be out in the sun for one hour. It breaks my heart too... but my boyfriends told me the other day "your dog has a better life than many humans out there"... and that got me thinking because I tend to feel guilty that she stays home all day alone (I don't have another dog).

I do take her to day care 1-2x week. But recently I realized when she gets to day care she hides underneath the counter and sleeps all day!

I am sure she will adjust to her new routine.... try to give her a toy or a kong filled with frozen peanut butter when you leave the house. That will distract her and soon she will associate you leaving with a positive thing ;) I did that for many months when Iz was a puppy!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dogs are spoiled because I stay at home at the "ZOO"… Lol In fact the hubby mentioned the other day that I can't get a job because what would happen to Wallyman :blink: Good grief… when I do go out for the day Wally will make me pay for it at night w/an all night play session!!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
My dogs are spoiled because I stay at home at the "ZOO"… Lol In fact the hubby mentioned the other day that I can't get a job because what would happen to Wallyman :blink: Good grief… when I do go out for the day Wally will make me pay for it at night w/an all night play session!!!

yup, your working days are over. LOL.

Most Reactions