Bentley is going to be the death of me

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Good to hear he's doing better.

An FYI on allergy testing- The first time we tested Blue his results came back that he wasn't allergic to anything. We knew it was wrong but my vet didn't know why this happened. I think it's because he was on Claritin less than 48 hours prior to the test, she disagreed.
A few months later I went to a dermatologist and we tested again. This time the results came back and showed he was allergic to a bunch of things that made sense.

Point is, make sure he's not on anything- not benadryl, claritin or any type of antihistamine that can alter the results for at least 30 days prior. Vets only seem to be considered about no steroids for 30 days, but based on my own experience, that's just wrong.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Good to hear he's doing better.

An FYI on allergy testing- The first time we tested Blue his results came back that he wasn't allergic to anything. We knew it was wrong but my vet didn't know why this happened. I think it's because he was on Claritin less than 48 hours prior to the test, she disagreed.
A few months later I went to a dermatologist and we tested again. This time the results came back and showed he was allergic to a bunch of things that made sense.

Point is, make sure he's not on anything- not benadryl, claritin or any type of antihistamine that can alter the results for at least 30 days prior. Vets only seem to be considered about no steroids for 30 days, but based on my own experience, that's just wrong.

Thank you! That is really good advice. When you found out what he was allergic to, what was your course of treatment?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thank you! That is really good advice. When you found out what he was allergic to, what was your course of treatment?

Immunotherapy.
We chose oral drops twice a day. It finally kicked in about 8 months in. Then the summer came and his allergies got 100% worse so we added Apoquel. Going to take him off the Apoquel in October and see how he does.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Immunotherapy.
We chose oral drops twice a day. It finally kicked in about 8 months in. Then the summer came and his allergies got 100% worse so we added Apoquel. Going to take him off the Apoquel in October and see how he does.

over the phone the vet said I could administer a shot at home if it came to that. I really hope there is something a little easier than that. We will see in a few weeks.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
over the phone the vet said I could administer a shot at home if it came to that. I really hope there is something a little easier than that. We will see in a few weeks.

Yeah, the shots are weekly, the drops twice a day.
I thought the drops would be easier but they're not- he hates them.

There's also various theories on the advantages and disadvantages with both forms of administration- ask your vet to explain them. But there is no wrong or right way to do it, it's usually just what your vet feels most comfortable with.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.