Bentley is going to be the death of me

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Me again. Ha! So Bentley is kinda high right now..... If you have read about my weekend, you know he was at the ER for hives Thursday night. So Friday morning I gave him his first dose of Benadryl and again around 10 P.M. In case you are concerned (I was for a while) He is 49 pounds so he was given 50mg, or two tablets. It is a package right from the vet office, so I know it is the correct Benadryl formula.

So again, I was a crazy bulldog mama and called the ER to ask what was up with my dog. He was find all afternoon. I'm off for the summer from work and I have been dealing with sleep issues from my own medication. So about 2. a.m. last night he shot up from sleeping and zoomed around the house. He will run to a different room, run back and stare at me. Toss the blankets on the bed around, and just stand there staring off to the distance. He won't play though! He's just weird, hyper, out of it! Thing is...... it is now 12 hours later and he is still doing it! Just less frequent. I finally slept off and on between 7. am. till up about just now. The whole time he would jump on and off of my bed. I tried to keep him in his crate so he could just try and relax, but that wasn't working for him. Oh my goodness.

The vet said that some dogs react "euphoric" to Benadryl. That if he was having a good day and not feeling bad from the allergies than he is going to try and fight the Benadryl in his system. I also read that it is a sign of overdose. (Google though)

Anyway, we can either chat about how "funny" he is acting right now or the opposite. Despite from having insomnia of my own last night was a trip! :blink:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Bentley's got a buzz...wishing it was me ;)

Benedryl knocks me out, just one tab puts me to sleep
and makes Cami nod off 'n on too.

After the hives leave and to control allergies, try giving
1 capsule in his food AM & 1 capsule PM, it works for Cami
and she's 64 lbs, we're working on that ;)

His antics make me think of my 1st bully, Brutus. He got
zoomies every evening, so funny. He'd lie upside down on
the sofa & thrash around, moving his big head from side to
side. We learned early on to move out of reach, he'd grab
hold of our upper thigh and pinch the crap out of us! He
looked like a great White, lol

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Oh my goodness Carol! Sorry I didn't reply back to you the other day! I was going to send you an email when I felt that I had some real downtime. Bentley is being so weird right now. I feel like he is hallucinating on this. Not really, but he looks at me so confused. Like, yes Bentley it's me..... Weirdo. Toss any of his favorite toys and he just looks at it. He's forgotten how to live!!! oh dear......

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Carol's advice is right on, 1 in the morning and 1 at night, he does sound like he got a little overdose.

We had a girl pug once who had BAD allergies and we gave Benadryl to her and it was the right amount and I swear she got so paranoid of every little thing, the poor baby would stare up at the ceiling fan like it was a flying monster that was going to swoop down and eat her. When we asked the doctor about it he told us that all dogs react differently on it. I can't take Benadryl because it messes me up so bad and I can't get anything done at work the next day but I know a bunch of peeps who have to take one or two every night to fall asleep. I hope he calms down and his allergies get better.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh Krista [MENTION=14519]KristaB026[/MENTION], poor Bentley! But at least it seems like he's having some fun! So the time I gave 2 Benadryl to Winnie (she weighs 49 lbs. also), she got really sleepy and slept so much I was worried about her! I have trouble sleeping and I've been taking 2 at night. Sometimes it helps, I think, and sometimes I still lie in bed awake until 2:00 or 3:00! If my husband takes half of a Benadryl, he will sleep all night and most of the next day. He's really sensitive to any kind of meds. So I guess it stands to reason that individual dogs would react differently.

How are Bentley's hives today? I hope he's better soon, so he can get back to normal.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh Bentley, talk about keeping mama on her toes! I agree with the gang. Maybe one pill in AM, and one pill in PM. Tyson weighs 78lbs and one pill is enough . I sure hope he settles down, and the hives will usually clear up in a few days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I usually give a Bella 1.5 pills at one time. She's 41 pounds, and she will go to sleep for a short while most times. They don't make her crazy for sure. There have been times where they didn't make her sleep at all.

Of course, she's a special one. :excited:

I hope the little guy feels better!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Thanks all. I think he is doing fine. He is a little bit more sleepy today. I skipped one dose, the A.M. one because he was just so wired. I did give him two just now before I got on to see all of your advice. I'm going to watch him on the only two I gave him tonight, and if he is doing well then we will go down to just one in the morning at night.

I think he is doing well on the hives. I called the vet last night to ask some questions and they said that they were already planning on calling me in the morning so all is good. I hope you can picture it, I described it as, he looks like his fur is just all matted and textured, like he needs a good grooming. (Not that he ever looks that way) So all of the picked up pieces of fur spots- I know them to be the hives getting smaller. I'm assuming, betting that they will be gone tomorrow & we can stop the Benadryl! I've been wanting to catch with you all and see how your fur babies are doing. Mine has just had a rough summer. We have a allergy test scheduled for the end of August, So I will let you know how that goes!

Hopefully I'll get my wiggle butt back soon. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all. I think he is doing fine. He is a little bit more sleepy today. I skipped one dose, the A.M. one because he was just so wired. I did give him two just now before I got on to see all of your advice. I'm going to watch him on the only two I gave him tonight, and if he is doing well then we will go down to just one in the morning at night.

I think he is doing well on the hives. I called the vet last night to ask some questions and they said that they were already planning on calling me in the morning so all is good. I hope you can picture it, I described it as, he looks like his fur is just all matted and textured, like he needs a good grooming. (Not that he ever looks that way) So all of the picked up pieces of fur spots- I know them to be the hives getting smaller. I'm assuming, betting that they will be gone tomorrow & we can stop the Benadryl! I've been wanting to catch with you all and see how your fur babies are doing. Mine has just had a rough summer. We have a allergy test scheduled for the end of August, So I will let you know how that goes!

Hopefully I'll get my wiggle butt back soon. :)

How is he doing today ... did the split dosage help?

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] It did! I was just coming on to say Bentley is pretty much back to his old self! Eating, drinking, personality! I kept saying, "yay, my babies back!" He's not so interested in his toys yet, but I don't think that is a big deal. I WISH I had a camera on me to upload a photo. My cell phone is out getting replaced. Yea..... I dropped it!...... So picture this, Bentley is currently sitting in a laundry basket, leaning his head on the side...... I am "trying" to fold towels. He has never done this before. I only gave him one pill in his food this afternoon. All signs of hives are gone. If anyone has any advice to treat allergies for a few weeks until out vet appointment that would really be helpful! He's been on Fromm Surf and Turf for a few weeks now. So I think we are good on that. I'll keep up on anything new I haven't done, or don't know about yet. Thanks all!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@2BullyMama It did! I was just coming on to say Bentley is pretty much back to his old self! Eating, drinking, personality! I kept saying, "yay, my babies back!" He's not so interested in his toys yet, but I don't think that is a big deal. I WISH I had a camera on me to upload a photo. My cell phone is out getting replaced. Yea..... I dropped it!...... So picture this, Bentley is currently sitting in a laundry basket, leaning his head on the side...... I am "trying" to fold towels. He has never done this before. I only gave him one pill in his food this afternoon. All signs of hives are gone. If anyone has any advice to treat allergies for a few weeks until out vet appointment that would really be helpful! He's been on Fromm Surf and Turf for a few weeks now. So I think we are good on that. I'll keep up on anything new I haven't done, or don't know about yet. Thanks all!

Great news that he's back to his old self! :)

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Thanks [MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] !

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's great news! I am so ready for allergy season to be gone :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] It did! I was just coming on to say Bentley is pretty much back to his old self! Eating, drinking, personality! I kept saying, "yay, my babies back!" He's not so interested in his toys yet, but I don't think that is a big deal. I WISH I had a camera on me to upload a photo. My cell phone is out getting replaced. Yea..... I dropped it!...... So picture this, Bentley is currently sitting in a laundry basket, leaning his head on the side...... I am "trying" to fold towels. He has never done this before. I only gave him one pill in his food this afternoon. All signs of hives are gone. If anyone has any advice to treat allergies for a few weeks until out vet appointment that would really be helpful! He's been on Fromm Surf and Turf for a few weeks now. So I think we are good on that. I'll keep up on anything new I haven't done, or don't know about yet. Thanks all!

Great to hear!!! Since it is environmental... Wiping him down after outings is a big help

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.