Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bentley is going to be the death of me

Quote Originally Posted by KristaB026 View Post
    @2BullyMama It did! I was just coming on to say Bentley is pretty much back to his old self! Eating, drinking, personality! I kept saying, "yay, my babies back!" He's not so interested in his toys yet, but I don't think that is a big deal. I WISH I had a camera on me to upload a photo. My cell phone is out getting replaced. Yea..... I dropped it!...... So picture this, Bentley is currently sitting in a laundry basket, leaning his head on the side...... I am "trying" to fold towels. He has never done this before. I only gave him one pill in his food this afternoon. All signs of hives are gone. If anyone has any advice to treat allergies for a few weeks until out vet appointment that would really be helpful! He's been on Fromm Surf and Turf for a few weeks now. So I think we are good on that. I'll keep up on anything new I haven't done, or don't know about yet. Thanks all!
    Great to hear!!! Since it is environmental... Wiping him down after outings is a big help
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Good to hear he's doing better.

An FYI on allergy testing- The first time we tested Blue his results came back that he wasn't allergic to anything. We knew it was wrong but my vet didn't know why this happened. I think it's because he was on Claritin less than 48 hours prior to the test, she disagreed.
    A few months later I went to a dermatologist and we tested again. This time the results came back and showed he was allergic to a bunch of things that made sense.

Point is, make sure he's not on anything- not benadryl, claritin or any type of antihistamine that can alter the results for at least 30 days prior. Vets only seem to be considered about no steroids for 30 days, but based on my own experience, that's just wrong.

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member KristaB026's Avatar
    Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Good to hear he's doing better.

An FYI on allergy testing- The first time we tested Blue his results came back that he wasn't allergic to anything. We knew it was wrong but my vet didn't know why this happened. I think it's because he was on Claritin less than 48 hours prior to the test, she disagreed.
    A few months later I went to a dermatologist and we tested again. This time the results came back and showed he was allergic to a bunch of things that made sense.

Point is, make sure he's not on anything- not benadryl, claritin or any type of antihistamine that can alter the results for at least 30 days prior. Vets only seem to be considered about no steroids for 30 days, but based on my own experience, that's just wrong.

Thank you! That is really good advice. When you found out what he was allergic to, what was your course of treatment?

8. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! That is really good advice. When you found out what he was allergic to, what was your course of treatment?
    Immunotherapy.
    We chose oral drops twice a day. It finally kicked in about 8 months in. Then the summer came and his allergies got 100% worse so we added Apoquel. Going to take him off the Apoquel in October and see how he does.

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member KristaB026's Avatar
    Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Immunotherapy.
    We chose oral drops twice a day. It finally kicked in about 8 months in. Then the summer came and his allergies got 100% worse so we added Apoquel. Going to take him off the Apoquel in October and see how he does.
    over the phone the vet said I could administer a shot at home if it came to that. I really hope there is something a little easier than that. We will see in a few weeks.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

over the phone the vet said I could administer a shot at home if it came to that. I really hope there is something a little easier than that. We will see in a few weeks.
    Yeah, the shots are weekly, the drops twice a day.
    I thought the drops would be easier but they're not- he hates them.

There's also various theories on the advantages and disadvantages with both forms of administration- ask your vet to explain them. But there is no wrong or right way to do it, it's usually just what your vet feels most comfortable with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads