Should the Incoming Dog Leave? Or, Should the Dog in the Park Leave?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well, my two attacked a Pitbull yesterday at the lake. Wellie first, then Blue saw and came running to help his bro. Next thing I know
Blue jaws are around the Pitties neck.

Can't blame the Pit, my two started it, well, Wellie did. No idea why, Wellie just didn't like the Pit. After Wellie started the fight, Blue ran towards the pit in full attack mode.

I was horrified. It turned into a scene you'd see out of a movie. Once we got them off the pit, Chris had to lay on top of them to keep them from attacking again, while I tried to get their harnesses on.
As we were leaving, Wellie spotted the Pit about 15 feet away. He decided he needed to take a pee right there. He squatted and peed while staring at the pit the entire time- I'm guessing he was marking.

Really hope the pit is OK. I asked the owner and she said he was fine, but I don't think she had a chance to look him over yet. I have no doubt we'll find out if he was hurt though.

So much for the all time I spent socializing first Blue, and then Wellie. In the end, you just never know.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hard to answer... this situation happens quite often in my apartment complex dog park. We currently have two residents that owns dogs that I don't trust.... and when walking Izzy I noticed them inside dog park I just take her to a different place to potty. In my head just the idea of rushing Izzy to a vet due to a bite it's not worth the hassle. In this case each owner have 2 sets of mutts that when together they become very aggressive (i always think when dogs get together against another dog it's a higher chance of a fight happening). Funny thing is that when those dogs are walked separately they behave just fine... together they are trouble.

But if it's just one dog barking... I usually ask the owner "is it okay for us to come in?" kind of referring to the dog's behavior barking at the gate... then they either get the clue to leave due to dog not trusted behavior or they call their dog and let us in. Once inside and after sniffing each other all that supposedly "anger" becomes a friendly high energy dog just wanting to play.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Well, my two attacked a Pitbull yesterday at the lake. Wellie first, then Blue saw and came running to help his bro. Next thing I know
Blue jaws are around the Pitties neck.

Can't blame the Pit, my two started it, well, Wellie did. No idea why, Wellie just didn't like the Pit. After Wellie started the fight, Blue ran towards the pit in full attack mode.

I was horrified. It turned into a scene you'd see out of a movie. Once we got them off the pit, Chris had to lay on top of them to keep them from attacking again, while I tried to get their harnesses on.
As we were leaving, Wellie spotted the Pit about 15 feet away. He decided he needed to take a pee right there. He squatted and peed while staring at the pit the entire time- I'm guessing he was marking.

Really hope the pit is OK. I asked the owner and she said he was fine, but I don't think she had a chance to look him over yet. I have no doubt we'll find out if he was hurt though.

So much for the all time I spent socializing first Blue, and then Wellie. In the end, you just never know.

I am so sorry that this happened to you guys. Unfortunately, I know what this feels like. I asked my husband, "Do you think we did/are doing something wrong with Goob that he shows this much aggression to strangers?" He said that sometimes, some dogs just have it in them. It takes MONTHS of frequent visits for Goob to start warming up to someone. He doesn't like other dogs except the ones he grew up with. I thought I was going to have the cute bully that I take into all the stores he is allowed to be in but now, I just have a cute bully that I sit with in the AC car while daddy runs errands. He is still a work in progress though.

Did you hear anything from the other owner yet or have things seemed to die down? Again, I'm so sorry!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am so sorry that this happened to you guys. Unfortunately, I know what this feels like. I asked my husband, "Do you think we did/are doing something wrong with Goob that he shows this much aggression to strangers?" He said that sometimes, some dogs just have it in them. It takes MONTHS of frequent visits for Goob to start warming up to someone. He doesn't like other dogs except the ones he grew up with. I thought I was going to have the cute bully that I take into all the stores he is allowed to be in but now, I just have a cute bully that I sit with in the AC car while daddy runs errands. He is still a work in progress though.

Did you hear anything from the other owner yet or have things seemed to die down? Again, I'm so sorry!!

No, I haven't heard anything so assuming the pittie is fine.

I'm not worried much about Blue, he doesn't care about other dogs unless they're intact. But he's never just attacked. What happened here was because of Wellie. Wellie's part of his pack so Blue jumped in when he saw his brother fighting.

So I've been practicing with Wellie to just concentrate on me and ignore other dogs when we're out. It's kinda working but I need to be vigilant 100% of the time and that's very tough on our walks. There's just a ton of distractions here.

Last night Chris and I took them to the dog park. There was no one inside so we went in and Wellie ran around in the water. Another dog came in. Blue came up to him, sniffed and left (his usual). We kept Wellie away though but he didn't even show much interest.
I think Wellie may be a bully (no pun intended), in that he goes after insecure dogs. I think that's what happened with the pit who looked nervous on the lead while my guys were off. I also see that with the lab.

Either way, neither you nor I got those cute bullies we can just trust in pet stores..lol.. But it's ok, they're adorable none the less :p

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
No, I haven't heard anything so assuming the pittie is fine.

I'm not worried much about Blue, he doesn't care about other dogs unless they're intact. But he's never just attacked. What happened here was because of Wellie. Wellie's part of his pack so Blue jumped in when he saw his brother fighting.

So I've been practicing with Wellie to just concentrate on me and ignore other dogs when we're out. It's kinda working but I need to be vigilant 100% of the time and that's very tough on our walks. There's just a ton of distractions here.

Last night Chris and I took them to the dog park. There was no one inside so we went in and Wellie ran around in the water. Another dog came in. Blue came up to him, sniffed and left (his usual). We kept Wellie away though but he didn't even show much interest.
I think Wellie may be a bully (no pun intended), in that he goes after insecure dogs. I think that's what happened with the pit who looked nervous on the lead while my guys were off. I also see that with the lab.

Either way, neither you nor I got those cute bullies we can just trust in pet stores..lol.. But it's ok, they're adorable none the less :p

I completely agree:yes:

Members online

No members online now.