Should the Incoming Dog Leave? Or, Should the Dog in the Park Leave?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Tonight Chris and I decided to take Blue and Wellie to the dog park.

There's a doggie pool there with a doggie fire hydrant that Wellie loves. I turn it on for him and he runs in an out trying to catch the incoming water.

As we're approaching the park, there's an older dog that runs to the fence and starts growling and barking at Wellie. We were right near the entrance and I wasn't sure what to do. The dog then barred his teeth and let out the meanest sounding growl.
The owner started yelling for him but had no voice control- the dog just wouldn't stop.

Wellie showed his dislike right back by barking. When my little guy barks though, he sounds like a little Chihuahua, yes Mr. 64lb bulldog sounds like a baby Chi.

There was another bulldog owner in there. I know her from the neighborhood, she has th sweetest little 3 year old girl, Petunia
We never went in, but she came out and we all walked down the ramp.
So we chatted and played with each others bullies, thinking the other guy's gonna take his dog and leave soon. He knew we were waiting, he saw us all standing there constantly looking towards the park, but, he never left.

Chris said he was right not to leave, he was there first. I thought it was ridiculously rude since he knew we were waiting. I mean I would have left if one of mine wanted to attack an incoming dog.

What do you guys think? Would you have left or stayed if you had the aggressive dog?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Honestly, I'd have left out of embarrassment.

I'm trying to put myself in the situation of the other owner. I'm imagining that it was the very first time I'd seen my dog react like that. I might think that something about the other dog is making my dog act uncharacteristicly. Yeah, I still would have left (even though I got there first) because I'd be unsure why she's acting this way. ESPECIALLY if I saw that you were coming (or wanting to come) in. It would scare me.

Of course, if this is normal behavior for my dog, I wouldn't have her there at the dog park.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I agree with Cali. If my dog started growling and acting mean toward another dog, whether or not the other dog was just arriving, I would take my dog home. The dog park is for dogs who get along with other dogs, not dogs who act aggressively to other dogs. Don't dog parks have rules for that sort of thing? If they don't, they should. Rule: If your dog doesn't play well with others, you have to take him home.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree as well, aggressive dogs have no place at a leash free dog park. The dog park is for the enjoyment of everyone and their dogs, so if your dog is aggressive, not neutered and humps all the females, or your an ignorant owner who doesn't clean up after your dog, then come on off times when it is t busy, or stay home. I stopped going to the leash free parks for these reasons, I've had 2 Huskies chase Blossom and rip off her sweater and be aggressive with her, male un-neutered dogs constantly chase her and mount her and hump her, and there are numerous dogs that bring toys like balls who are toy aggressive. Also I found that many people don't pick up their dogs poop and its gets on your dog and you have to bath them, or you step in it.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
No question, i would have left.
Out of embarrassment, fear of wtf just happened, and COURTESY for YOU and every other person who witnessed that and is just waiting for someone to get hurt.

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
That's a shame that the owner didn't leave when his dog was being aggressive towards your boy. If it was my dog being a butthead, I would have packed our stuff up for the day. I agree with everyone above. :)

PS. Farley has a tiny bark too.*LOL* Everyone asks me " What is wrong with his bark?" I thought that was funny about your Wellie having a Chi bark.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There were lots of dogs in there and I guess he got along with everyone. So maybe Wellie was an isolated incident. Either way though, I would have left as well. In fact I have when Wellie became infatuated with a little pug once and wouldn't leave her alone.

I know they're bulldogs and rub lots of dogs the wrong way, but I don't give a crap anymore. If my dog hasn't done anything, yours shouldn't be aggressive. If it is, leave.

This was the second time we've been to the dog park in months. I pretty much stopped going. And without fail, for whatever reason, it didn't work out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If I was the guy in the park with the dog that had that reaction.... yes, i would have left. i would have been concerned that he would redirect on another dog and leashed up and left

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Honestly I don't think there is a right answer to this question as it highly depends on the circumstances. First guy there should not have to leave at your arrival, but if their dog isn't behaving toward the dogs in the park then yes they should leave.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Honestly I don't think there is a right answer to this question as it highly depends on the circumstances. First guy there should not have to leave at your arrival, but if their dog isn't behaving toward the dogs in the park then yes they should leave.

Chris agrees with you.
My thing is his dog is preventing another dog(s) from coming in- so for that I'd leave.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion the one who is aggressive leaves, no matter if the dog gets along with everybody else, aggressive out.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Chris agrees with you.
My thing is his dog is preventing another dog(s) from coming in- so for that I'd leave.

This same thing happened to Goob the last time we took him to the dog park. He was about a year old or so. We got out of the car and were walking the perimeter of the park to see how he was reacting to the other dogs. There was an Australian Cattle dog that saw Goob and was barking/growling, but not overly aggressive. Goob barked back but then calmed down when the owner called her dog back.

We walked in with Goob leashed and this dog charged us. My husband picked Goob up while the dog was juming at him trying to nip him. My husband handed Goob to me, he hopped the fence, and I handed Goob over to him to get him away from this dog. Thankfully the woman got her dog and SHE left apologetically.

The funny/sad thing now is that Goob would probably be the aggressor at a dog park. It's so hard to say what is right because both sides have legitimate cases. HE could have thought "I just got here and my dog is excited to play with his friends/My dog is never like this with other dogs so something is wrong with YOUR dog/Let's see how it plays out and maybe they'll be fine."

I think if I saw someone waiting on me, I would have left. It's like when you're working out and someone is waiting for the machine you're on. You want to finish your workout but you also keep in mind that the world doesn't revolve around you. I think IF the owner cared, he would have shown some remorse/concern and said "hey, we only plan on being here for ten more minutes and then we'll be out." IDK...I guess I agree with @RiiSi. Once YOUR dog becomes the aggressor, you forfeit your rights to the dog park.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Another thought may be that the dog was growing or attacking simply because you were on the other side of the fence. Things may have been different if you went inside. The 'fence' maybe something this dog has at home and it is common practice for him to bark at whats on the other side.

Example, you see cute barking dog at fence. You approach fence and offer your hand. Dog is not aggressive. It was just trying to get your attention.

Sorry I am speaking in silly sentences, I just realized I was doing that. I am in kid speaking mode right now, forgive me! :giggle:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The way I look at this is just like what I did when my kids were little… if they were acting up at the park and couldn't play w/the other kids nicely then we would LEAVE. Plain and simple… same w/dogs IMO.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.