Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Incoming Dog Leave? Or, Should the Dog in the Park Leave?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should the Incoming Dog Leave? Or, Should the Dog in the Park Leave?

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Chris agrees with you.
    My thing is his dog is preventing another dog(s) from coming in- so for that I'd leave.
    This same thing happened to Goob the last time we took him to the dog park. He was about a year old or so. We got out of the car and were walking the perimeter of the park to see how he was reacting to the other dogs. There was an Australian Cattle dog that saw Goob and was barking/growling, but not overly aggressive. Goob barked back but then calmed down when the owner called her dog back.

We walked in with Goob leashed and this dog charged us. My husband picked Goob up while the dog was juming at him trying to nip him. My husband handed Goob to me, he hopped the fence, and I handed Goob over to him to get him away from this dog. Thankfully the woman got her dog and SHE left apologetically.

The funny/sad thing now is that Goob would probably be the aggressor at a dog park. It's so hard to say what is right because both sides have legitimate cases. HE could have thought "I just got here and my dog is excited to play with his friends/My dog is never like this with other dogs so something is wrong with YOUR dog/Let's see how it plays out and maybe they'll be fine."

I think if I saw someone waiting on me, I would have left. It's like when you're working out and someone is waiting for the machine you're on. You want to finish your workout but you also keep in mind that the world doesn't revolve around you. I think IF the owner cared, he would have shown some remorse/concern and said "hey, we only plan on being here for ten more minutes and then we'll be out." IDK...I guess I agree with @RiiSi. Once YOUR dog becomes the aggressor, you forfeit your rights to the dog park.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

2. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the Incoming Dog Leave? Or, Should the Dog in the Park Leave?

Another thought may be that the dog was growing or attacking simply because you were on the other side of the fence. Things may have been different if you went inside. The 'fence' maybe something this dog has at home and it is common practice for him to bark at whats on the other side.

Example, you see cute barking dog at fence. You approach fence and offer your hand. Dog is not aggressive. It was just trying to get your attention.

Sorry I am speaking in silly sentences, I just realized I was doing that. I am in kid speaking mode right now, forgive me!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

4. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

The way I look at this is just like what I did when my kids were little… if they were acting up at the park and couldn't play w/the other kids nicely then we would LEAVE. Plain and simple… same w/dogs IMO.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

6. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well, my two attacked a Pitbull yesterday at the lake. Wellie first, then Blue saw and came running to help his bro. Next thing I know
    Blue jaws are around the Pitties neck.

Can't blame the Pit, my two started it, well, Wellie did. No idea why, Wellie just didn't like the Pit. After Wellie started the fight, Blue ran towards the pit in full attack mode.

I was horrified. It turned into a scene you'd see out of a movie. Once we got them off the pit, Chris had to lay on top of them to keep them from attacking again, while I tried to get their harnesses on.
    As we were leaving, Wellie spotted the Pit about 15 feet away. He decided he needed to take a pee right there. He squatted and peed while staring at the pit the entire time- I'm guessing he was marking.

Really hope the pit is OK. I asked the owner and she said he was fine, but I don't think she had a chance to look him over yet. I have no doubt we'll find out if he was hurt though.

So much for the all time I spent socializing first Blue, and then Wellie. In the end, you just never know.

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Hard to answer... this situation happens quite often in my apartment complex dog park. We currently have two residents that owns dogs that I don't trust.... and when walking Izzy I noticed them inside dog park I just take her to a different place to potty. In my head just the idea of rushing Izzy to a vet due to a bite it's not worth the hassle. In this case each owner have 2 sets of mutts that when together they become very aggressive (i always think when dogs get together against another dog it's a higher chance of a fight happening). Funny thing is that when those dogs are walked separately they behave just fine... together they are trouble.

But if it's just one dog barking... I usually ask the owner "is it okay for us to come in?" kind of referring to the dog's behavior barking at the gate... then they either get the clue to leave due to dog not trusted behavior or they call their dog and let us in. Once inside and after sniffing each other all that supposedly "anger" becomes a friendly high energy dog just wanting to play.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

9. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well, my two attacked a Pitbull yesterday at the lake. Wellie first, then Blue saw and came running to help his bro. Next thing I know
    Blue jaws are around the Pitties neck.

Can't blame the Pit, my two started it, well, Wellie did. No idea why, Wellie just didn't like the Pit. After Wellie started the fight, Blue ran towards the pit in full attack mode.

I was horrified. It turned into a scene you'd see out of a movie. Once we got them off the pit, Chris had to lay on top of them to keep them from attacking again, while I tried to get their harnesses on.
    As we were leaving, Wellie spotted the Pit about 15 feet away. He decided he needed to take a pee right there. He squatted and peed while staring at the pit the entire time- I'm guessing he was marking.

Really hope the pit is OK. I asked the owner and she said he was fine, but I don't think she had a chance to look him over yet. I have no doubt we'll find out if he was hurt though.

So much for the all time I spent socializing first Blue, and then Wellie. In the end, you just never know.
    I am so sorry that this happened to you guys. Unfortunately, I know what this feels like. I asked my husband, "Do you think we did/are doing something wrong with Goob that he shows this much aggression to strangers?" He said that sometimes, some dogs just have it in them. It takes MONTHS of frequent visits for Goob to start warming up to someone. He doesn't like other dogs except the ones he grew up with. I thought I was going to have the cute bully that I take into all the stores he is allowed to be in but now, I just have a cute bully that I sit with in the AC car while daddy runs errands. He is still a work in progress though.

Did you hear anything from the other owner yet or have things seemed to die down? Again, I'm so sorry!!

11. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    I am so sorry that this happened to you guys. Unfortunately, I know what this feels like. I asked my husband, "Do you think we did/are doing something wrong with Goob that he shows this much aggression to strangers?" He said that sometimes, some dogs just have it in them. It takes MONTHS of frequent visits for Goob to start warming up to someone. He doesn't like other dogs except the ones he grew up with. I thought I was going to have the cute bully that I take into all the stores he is allowed to be in but now, I just have a cute bully that I sit with in the AC car while daddy runs errands. He is still a work in progress though.

Did you hear anything from the other owner yet or have things seemed to die down? Again, I'm so sorry!!
    No, I haven't heard anything so assuming the pittie is fine.

I'm not worried much about Blue, he doesn't care about other dogs unless they're intact. But he's never just attacked. What happened here was because of Wellie. Wellie's part of his pack so Blue jumped in when he saw his brother fighting.

So I've been practicing with Wellie to just concentrate on me and ignore other dogs when we're out. It's kinda working but I need to be vigilant 100% of the time and that's very tough on our walks. There's just a ton of distractions here.

Last night Chris and I took them to the dog park. There was no one inside so we went in and Wellie ran around in the water. Another dog came in. Blue came up to him, sniffed and left (his usual). We kept Wellie away though but he didn't even show much interest.
    I think Wellie may be a bully (no pun intended), in that he goes after insecure dogs. I think that's what happened with the pit who looked nervous on the lead while my guys were off. I also see that with the lab.

Either way, neither you nor I got those cute bullies we can just trust in pet stores..lol.. But it's ok, they're adorable none the less

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

No, I haven't heard anything so assuming the pittie is fine.

I'm not worried much about Blue, he doesn't care about other dogs unless they're intact. But he's never just attacked. What happened here was because of Wellie. Wellie's part of his pack so Blue jumped in when he saw his brother fighting.

So I've been practicing with Wellie to just concentrate on me and ignore other dogs when we're out. It's kinda working but I need to be vigilant 100% of the time and that's very tough on our walks. There's just a ton of distractions here.

Last night Chris and I took them to the dog park. There was no one inside so we went in and Wellie ran around in the water. Another dog came in. Blue came up to him, sniffed and left (his usual). We kept Wellie away though but he didn't even show much interest.
    I think Wellie may be a bully (no pun intended), in that he goes after insecure dogs. I think that's what happened with the pit who looked nervous on the lead while my guys were off. I also see that with the lab.

Either way, neither you nor I got those cute bullies we can just trust in pet stores..lol.. But it's ok, they're adorable none the less
    I completely agree

14. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads