Snuggling

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Hi all. We have a 5 mth old bulldog pup and he will NOT snuggle! Our old bulldog used to sleep with my wife and I on our bed and would love nothing more to cuddle up to someone.

Our Gus is crate trained and he LOVES his crate and he goes in and out of there and would rather go hang out in there than snuggle up with my wife and I.

I don't really care, as I'm happy he likes his crate. My wife on the other hand tries every night to bring him to bed, but he walks around the bed like he can't get comfortable and always looks like he's going to jump off (our bed is a few feet up). Eventually my wife brings him back down to his crate with a sad look in her eye.

Is this just a puppy thing? Do you think he'll ever want to just snuggle? Sleep in bed? Or is he now addicted to the crate? I know it's a tough question since every dog is different but for my wife's sake I hope he starts snuggling!

Sent from my iPhone

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He is still an active little kid! When he gets older,and likes to sleep more, he will probably be a Teddy Bear for your wife!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Nothing is worse than getting a super cuddling, snuggling bulldog FIRST
than getting one after and nope!...grab some loving quick because ain't
no bully got any time for that! I so feel your pain because it's happened
to me and others have complained too, you are not alone!

Since yours is a youngster, plenty of time to go thru changes and start
cuddling with Momma...and Daddy ;) In the meantime, you must share
the puppy pics, omg...he's simple adorable, Welcome to EBN!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Awww, my girl isn't a big snuggler either. Occasionally, she'll snuggle up to me, but it's not the norm. Most times, I have to force the snuggles. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feel her pain... Our first was mr. Cuddles... Our second- wanted nothing less than cuddles, she hated it and always did for her 9 yrs. she slept with us but if we tried to cuddle, which Dad did, she would go to foot of bed and grumble.

Our current boy is all cuddles
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439033190.956001.jpg

OP
Gussesdad

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's hit or miss and hopefully he gets more laid back over the yearsImageUploadedByTapatalk1439039852.681247.jpg

Here's Gus on the couch but looking to get right down! Most owners don't want their dogs on the couches and beds, and we would welcome it but he don't like it!

Sent from my iPhone

OP
Gussesdad

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I feel her pain... Our first was mr. Cuddles... Our second- wanted nothing less than cuddles, she hated it and always did for her 9 yrs. she slept with us but if we tried to cuddle, which Dad did, she would go to foot of bed and grumble.

View attachment 89847

Great pic. That's the same pose me and my old bulldog Spike would be during football Sunday's. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Both of my boys are huge teddy bears! They love to cuddle with their momma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I feel her pain... Our first was mr. Cuddles... Our second- wanted
nothing less than cuddles, she hated it and always did for her 9 yrs. she slept with us but if we
tried to cuddle, which Dad did, she would go to foot of bed and grumble.

View attachment 89847

Christine, I haven't seen this special pic, I LOVE it!

Can really see how big Lambo has gotten...HUGE!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When I first brought Finn home at 4months old he wouldn't sleep in my bed either and preferred the floor. Unlike Tate, Finn was not a cuddly/snuggly kind of bulldog.Over the years however, Finn has become more snuggly and will sometimes put his head on my lap, and when it's time for bed he sleeps very close to my side. So, just give it some time and you may see Gus "evolve" into a snuggly boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Christine, I haven't seen this special pic, I LOVE it!

Can really see how big Lambo has gotten...HUGE!

Carol... That us new, taken last night. Lambeau is now 9 mths and 47 lbs

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi all. We have a 5 mth old bulldog pup and he will NOT snuggle! Our old bulldog used to sleep with my wife and I on our bed and would love nothing more to cuddle up to someone.

Our Gus is crate trained and he LOVES his crate and he goes in and out of there and would rather go hang out in there than snuggle up with my wife and I.

I don't really care, as I'm happy he likes his crate. My wife on the other hand tries every night to bring him to bed, but he walks around the bed like he can't get comfortable and always looks like he's going to jump off (our bed is a few feet up). Eventually my wife brings him back down to his crate with a sad look in her eye.

Is this just a puppy thing? Do you think he'll ever want to just snuggle? Sleep in bed? Or is he now addicted to the crate? I know it's a tough question since every dog is different but for my wife's sake I hope he starts snuggling!

Sent from my iPhone

This is absolutely a puppy thing. Matilda didn't like to snuggle as a pup and now that's ALL she likes to do. He's just too excited to want to cuddle right now! Plus cuddling for us is actually a sign of dominance for dogs, so he's probably trying to assert his independence as well. He'll get over it.

As for the bed, why don't you get stairs so he can come and go as he pleases? I'm sure a big issue is that he doesn't like to be trapped onto the bed. This way he can move on his own when he gets hot or needs water or something. Give it time!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
This is absolutely a puppy thing. Matilda didn't like to snuggle as a pup and now that's ALL she likes to do. He's just too excited to want to cuddle right now! Plus cuddling for us is actually a sign of dominance for dogs, so he's probably trying to assert his independence as well. He'll get over it.

As for the bed, why don't you get stairs so he can come and go as he pleases? I'm sure a big issue is that he doesn't like to be trapped onto the bed. This way he can move on his own when he gets hot or needs water or something. Give it time!
[MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION], I hope you are right about it being a puppy thing. Both of my puppies, 3 months and 6 months, don't like to snuggle. They act like I am holding them down when I try to love on them. However, they do sleep in my king size bed with me, but just nowhere near me. I actually took my bed off the frame so they wouldn't have far to fall if they do, which is pretty often, considering they wrestle on the bed. I also have steps they climb up onto the bed from.

My first Bulldog baby, Shiner, did like to snuggle. He liked to be held also. Tucker freaks out when I try to pick him up. He stiffens up and obviously doesn't like to be held. I am more hard-headed than he is though, and I plan to get him used to it, and the snuggling too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online